Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to EG

Re: [Speed] Congested Comcast Peering with Akamai, Google in Mid

said by EG:

User Ring (UR), Area Ring (AR), Core Ring (CR) routing.

The one I've never understood is "SUR." I have yet to see this interface name used outside of Comcast. Happen to know?

johnnn

join:2007-01-25
Ypsilanti, MI

Click for full size
New interface on the
Click for full size
KS route
Click for full size
CA route
Click for full size
Peak time comparison
There appear to be significant changes underway. One of the routers hostnames has reappeared, and I'm on a different interface. A hop prior to Pontiac has been eliminated from the previous configuration.

There was likely some sort of maintenance window on Friday morning as evidenced by the smokeping graphs attached (this makes sense, as it corresponds with the lowest utilization period for the college town I'm in). Comparing the ICMP performance for peak windows between this week and last, there's been a significant improvement.

depster

join:2001-06-07
united state
reply to whfsdude

said by whfsdude:

said by EG:

The one I've never understood is "SUR." I have yet to see this interface name used outside of Comcast. Happen to know?

Maybe Switched User Ring?

makaze
Premium
join:2004-02-23
USA

1 recommendation

said by depster:

said by whfsdude:

said by EG:

Maybe Switched User Ring?

Nah it's a Super UR. In most areas it's a juniper with multiple AR connections for redundancy.

johnnn

join:2007-01-25
Ypsilanti, MI

So based on the info in this thread, the changes in throughput (things are much improved), and the routing changes I've observed, it looks like Comcast hooked my neighborhood's CMTS (and likely all of wannarbor) into a Super UR whereas before it routed through two regular 10GigE URs on its way to the AR in Pontiac.