All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

agtle
@teksavvy.com

agtle to dirtyjeffer0

Anon

to dirtyjeffer0

Re: Are police handing out traffic tickets to meet quotas?

said by dirtyjeffer0:

whatever...i don't care...when your taxes start skyrocketing to pay for increasing police budgets, don't complain...i'm not sure how much money is generated from tickets, but the money has to come from somewhere...either everyone pays (law abiding or not), or you monetarily punish a few who aren't following the rules...whichever sounds most fair to you.

I could be completely wrong here, but I thought that in Ontario, the money from traffic tickets all goes to the province, and the municipality who actually has to fund these out-of-control police budgets get no part of it. At least that's the song our council sings every time they approve a police budget that is four, five, six times the increase of any other department.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by agtle :

I could be completely wrong here, but I thought that in Ontario, the money from traffic tickets all goes to the province, and the municipality who actually has to fund these out-of-control police budgets get no part of it.

You think wrong. The money goes to the municipality in its entirety, and the municipalities are the ones who run and pay for the provincial offenses courts that these tickets fall under.

Whether it goes to a lower-tier or the upper-tier municipality in a two-tier setup is something I do not know for sure. I suspect it goes to whatever municipality runs the court that the ticket was issued under.

In New York ticket revenue go to the state, and then the state distributes it to the lower levels of government based on some formula. They used to have a setup like ours, but police forces were issuing so many tickets in as a means of municipal revenue that the state finally had to reign in and put a stop to it.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

2 edits

peterboro (banned)

In Peterborough every HTA, and every provincial offence for that matter which includes all bylaw infractions, within Peterborough County proper is prosecuted in the Simcoe St. court.

The revenue and expenses are paid and distributed on a cost sharing basis between the two areas.

Hence when the charge is read it goes "peterboro on or about the 16th day of January 2013 you have been charged with blatant trolling on DSLR in the City of Peterborough in the County of Peterborough".

edit, typo

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade

Do you think DSL Reports will really exist in 2913
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by Last Parade:

Do you think DSL Reports will really exist in 2913

Yes and you'll still be here posting.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
We have four provincial offenses courts in Niagara. They are paid for by the region, and I suspect that revenue from fines also goes to the region, but I have no idea if the region then finds a way to share it with the lower-tier municipality where the actual offense was committed.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

TLS2000 to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
What really burns me is when I'm in Mississauga and I get a ticket, half the time I have to go to Brampton to fight it, half the time I can fight it in Mississauga. It all depends on which division the cop works for. I got a ticket on Derry Rd near the airport in the summer. I kept trying to find the time to go to the courthouse to speak to the crown (the ticket was for a licence plate obstruction) but life got in the way. If I could have taken that ticket to the courthouse in Mississauga I would have been able to find the time.

Anyway, I was convicted and forgot about the ticket. I wasn't sent a notice of conviction. 3 weeks later my licence got suspended.

agtle
@teksavvy.com

agtle to Gone

Anon

to Gone
said by Gone:

You think wrong. The money goes to the municipality in its entirety, and the municipalities are the ones who run and pay for the provincial offenses courts that these tickets fall under.

Just old is all. Did a bit more reading, and found that this had changed in the 90s, link; when responsibility for the provincial offense courts was downloaded to the municipalities. Didn't realize it was that long ago, time moves so much faster the older I get.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I believe the fines still went to the municipalities before then, it's just that the courts were run by the province.

quotaTax
@ody.ca

quotaTax to peterboro

Anon

to peterboro
would rather have cops meet quotas than property tax etc rise out of control

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by quotaTax :

If you were getting pulled over for going 1-2mph over the speed limit or ticketed for obstructing traffic for driving under the limit - all of this kind of shit happened in NYS a few years back before the state stepped in - you'd be singing a different tune.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to quotaTax

to quotaTax
said by quotaTax :

After a few tickets you are often into the Facility and your rates will be 4X your property taxes.