join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to Juggernaut

Premium Member

to Juggernaut

Re: Jailbreaking cell phones to become ILLEGAL at midnight

said by Juggernaut:

said by LazMan:

The lock is to prevent consumers from ripping off cell phone carriers...

If you pay the device off, who cares? You have a right to have it unlocked, and the normal contract termination fee will apply anyway.

But, telco's don't even want to play by those rules.

I agree with you, but I'm not aware of any carrier that won't unlock a device after it's paid off... Rogers does it for free; TELUS charges $25 - dunno about Bell or any of the new entrants...

If a carrier won't unlock it (and this is a US law, and I'm not up on US cell carrier policy) - after it's paid off, that's a whole different deal, and completely wrong, IMO...

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Rogers was $75 to unlock the last I've heard. Check out the complaints about Rogers on HoFo. It's ugly.

IIRC from what I've read on DSLR, AT&T is the same BS. I have 5 devices that are unlocked, and will get a Nexus 4 (factory unlocked). I buy all my devices outright. No contracts, no mandatory data plans. I stopped playing the game years ago.

ashrc4
Premium Member
join:2009-02-06
australia

ashrc4

Premium Member

said by Juggernaut:

I buy all my devices outright. No contracts, no mandatory data plans. I stopped playing the game years ago.

+1
broccoli
join:2007-11-29
Portland, OR
Draytek Vigor2860Vac
EnGenius EAP600
Obihai OBi100

broccoli to LazMan

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

I agree with you, but I'm not aware of any carrier that won't unlock a device after it's paid off... Rogers does it for free; TELUS charges $25 - dunno about Bell or any of the new entrants...

Mobilicity and Wind phones are sold locked and unsubsidized, and they would not unlock them even if you don't mind paying for the privilege.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan

AT&T only recently started unlocking iPhones. iPhone users had no choice but to hack their phones if they wanted to unlock their phones for the previous 4 years, even if they were fully paid for.