how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Nayan3

join:2012-08-15
Melbourne, FL
kudos:1

[Internet] I need a new router, suggestions?

I love my Lightning speed! I hate it when I keep losing though . My router is biting the dust and I was wondering which one to get. I have a Netgear N300 and my max budget is $150. I need one that's good for streaming (for my BH app) and has a decent range. I am hugely clueless when it comes to bridging so I don't know if I need it or not . Can ya help an old broad out?

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Premium,Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky
kudos:3
»[Internet] Best Routers for Bridged Networks
--
Ad astra per alas porci!!

swbrains

join:2004-04-14
Land O Lakes, FL
reply to Nayan3
I have the Lighting service and use the WD MyNet n900 router:
»wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=710
So far it works well and seems to give me "4/5 bars" on my laptops anywhere in the house. The admin UI is pretty easy to navigate and the Wi-Fi works well for both G and N devices. I've had no problems with uptime or reliability so far. It also has 7 built-in gigabit ports which eliminated the need for a separate switch which was nice. I've seen it online and at local stores for just under $150.

I previously used a Cisco/Linksys E4200 with Lightning but needed more flexible parental controls so I went to the WD MyNet. But the E4200 had really good range for Wi-Fi. I used to get 5/5 bars anywhere near my house and my neighbor said my router had a stronger signal in his house then his own router! I believe this router is running just over $100 these days.

In terms of speed, both have worked at full Lightning speed. Depending on your needs, I think either should work well for you. Also, I used both with my modem bridged and both worked well in that capacity.

TURBO1112

join:2010-04-28
Dade City, FL
reply to Nayan3
Im pretty sure this is the one Gary suggest. Sorry if wrong.

»www.amazon.com/Diamond-Dual-Band···+rtn+56u

Guide_Tim

join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA
Yes the RT-N56U is the one Gary Likes flashed with the Padavan firmware
--
Taft CA Bright House Customer Since 2003 Lightning 60/5

Nayan3

join:2012-08-15
Melbourne, FL
reply to Nayan3
I looked at a few of them and decided to go with the Gary-approved one .

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:151
reply to Nayan3
Yes this is still tops of the list right now for performance, reliability, features and pricepoint.