join:2005-04-28
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·magicjack.com
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast
·Vonage

Getting Rid of "Browse to Save" on Chrome?

I've researched it and everyone says its a browser extension but I can't seem to find it anywhere locally on my computer. But on my recently installed SuperBird I noticed all these annoying ads. I then uninstalled SuperBird and went to Chrome to still find random text underlined and whenever I put my mouse pointer on it i get a little ad popup. I have the add-on Ad Block Plus installed trying to get any help from seeing the ads all over the page but there's underlined text's all over every web page I go to including dslreports. Anyone else seeing this? Is it something that's always been there and I've just noticed it now?

FWIW I've also been battling 3 re-occurrence's of the Moneypak FBI virus and noticed something about my version Java being outdated and vulnerable. I've updated Flash and Java and hope to be done with the FBI virus.

The same page from dirty Chrome and clean IE
Expand your moderator at work

TonyKlein
Premium
join:2001-07-02
Netherlands

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to CUBS_FAN

Re: Getting Rid of "Browse to Save" on Chrome?

It's malware, also implemented in IE as a Browser Helper Object, sporting a random GUID and filename.

thisisu's Junkware Removal Tool now targets these. They're detected by Nod32 as "Adware.MultiPlug and by Microsoft as Adware FastSaveApp.

Try the tool; it may help, although I'm not sure it also targets associated Chrome or FF extensions. It is still strongly recommended to wait here for expert assistance for a checkup, as you may well have other malware that will need dealing with.

CUBS_FAN
Next Year Again..

join:2005-04-28
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·magicjack.com
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast
·Vonage

1 edit
reply to Anon

It was a extension/addon called "codecv" that was pre-installed and enabled. I used to run Chrome 5 months ago and recall dumping it in the past without any question. The addon is located in the hidden folder located at c:/ProgramData/codecv. I ran the uninstaller which did nothing. So I just deleted the entire folder.

TheJoker
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2001-04-26
Charlottesville, VA
kudos:5

1 recommendation

Hi CUBS_FAN.

If you have had 3 instances of the FBI Moneypack virus, it may not have been completely removed.

Please read »Security Cleanup FAQ »Mandatory Steps Before Requesting Assistance and post the requested logs.
--
Proud ASAP member since 2005
Microsoft MVP/Consumer Security 2009-2010