Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

HBFlyer

@23.29.120.x
reply to kaila

Re: Comcast HSI Internet only Price

said by kaila:

..Chicago was (still is?) their toughest market and a huge infrastructure $ sinkhole throughout much of the 2000's..

Ok, I'll bite~ Why is Chicago a tough market? Sorry for steering OT

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

Just another off the wall statement from someone making a guess.

kaila

join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL
reply to HBFlyer

said by HBFlyer :

Ok, I'll bite~ Why is Chicago a tough market? Sorry for steering OT

The Chicago market was a broadband vacuum when Comcast entered in 2002 via purchasing AT&T Cable in 2002 and they were immediately overwhelmed. They found a market where Ameritech (then SBC) had almost no DSL available throughout the entire Chicago area, the handful of former CLEC's that had offered it had largely gone belly-up. There were no broadband alternatives but Comcast HSI for most.

When we ordered Comcast HSI in late 2003 and it was taking three weeks for an install. The installer told us new HSI orders were coming in at a rate of 1,500~3,000 per day in this market alone. As a result Comcast had to continually reduce speeds. Our former excite@home 10/1 market, speeds went down to 3/512k, then 1/256k as Comcast was scrambling to accomodate the growth. DNS outages & peak time slowdowns were a daily occurrence here.

Comcast finally got things on track after huge capacity and provisioning (Bedrock) upgrades throughout the mid-late 2000's got them caught up. Things are much better for sure, but it was a rough ride and Chicago is still Comcast's largest market.

HBFlyer

@lonlinet.net

If that's accurate, then that sucks. How is it possible that by 2002 ameritech wasn't a major DSL player when Comcast entered Chicago?

said by kaila:

....Chicago is still Comcast's largest market.

Not disputing you, but I'd think Philly or Boston, DC/Baltimore, would be bigger markets than Chicago.

kaila

join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL

said by HBFlyer :

....How is it possible that by 2002 ameritech wasn't a major DSL player when Comcast entered Chicago?....

This is really getting OT...... Ameritech had some disastrous investments in the 90's which put them on cash lockdown mode in order to groom for a sale right when DSL was taking off- late 90's~2000.

My town of Lincolnshire IL in the middle of Chicago suburbia, has begged for DSL for well over a decade but never got it. Because of this, Comcast HSI is in >80% of households here.

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
kudos:1
reply to HBFlyer

The SF Bay Area is a pretty big one for Comcast too. Sacramento would have to be as well, though smaller than the Bay Area of course.
--

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to HBFlyer

They share chicago with rcn, I would be surprised if chicago is actually comcasts biggest market area. Phillie used to be there biggest market and they didnt share it with anyone. They do share it with fios now tho so who knows. Im pretty sure LA has comcast and i would expect LA To be the biggest now since fios came to phillie.

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
kudos:1

said by rody_44:

They share chicago with rcn, I would be surprised if chicago is actually comcasts biggest market area. Phillie used to be there biggest market and they didnt share it with anyone. They do share it with fios now tho so who knows. Im pretty sure LA has comcast and i would expect LA To be the biggest now since fios came to phillie.

Comcast has a much smaller presence in the L.A. area than in the Bay Area. Time Warner and Charter are the biggies there.
--