share rss forum feed

sunnyd71

join:2004-05-22
l7z2t4
reply to InvalidError

Re: [DSL] Bell FTTN 50 Mbps tier

said by InvalidError:

said by ChuckcZar :

Problem is the odds of it being available is about one in 250 or .004 percent.

If you can get 25/10, there is a roughly 40% chance that you can get 50/10. (Twice the speed = slightly less than half the reach.)

About half the people who have posted line stats on 25/7 or 25/10 VDSL2 since it got introduced nearly three years ago had attainable max rates over 70Mbps, so Bell had the ability to offer 50Mbps to about half the subscribers wherever 25Mbps is available all along.

The real mystery is why they decided to wait so long.

I'd say for the appearance of annual upgrades when it is cheaper to physically do larger upgrades bi-annually. Looks better to customers and easier to justify price increases I'd speculate.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
said by sunnyd71:

I'd say for the appearance of annual upgrades when it is cheaper to physically do larger upgrades bi-annually.

What physical upgrades would those be? They are using the same equipments they started rolling out around three years ago - even the old VDSL2 Stingers and Cellpipe modems could do over 70Mbps when the distance is short enough so upgrades were not the reason for holding back.

From the rumors I remember reading, this seems to be about 1.5 years later than when Bell originally wanted to roll it out.

Well, at least now it is done.