pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

[Pricing] Question about Verizon 65+ plan

I am looking at the Verizon 65+ plans for my wife and myself. It looks like it may full our needs at a reasonable cost.

Does anyone have any experience with this plan, specifically:

1. Can we get a subsidized smart phone with a 2 year contract?

2. At the bottom of the page, they have a "logo image" for the friends and family program stating 5 or 10 phone numbers can be designated under the Friends and Family package for free calling. Is this feature included in the base cost of the 450 shared minutes package?

3. How are Verizon to Verizon calls billed, in other words are they subtracted from the 450 daytime minute allowance?

Tim
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Sorry I can only help on one question you have. Verizon cell to any other Verizon cell is free. Not Verizon cell to Verizon land line.

Hope others chime in to help you with the rest of your concerns.
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ

"Can we get a subsidized smart phone with a 2 year contract?"

I believe my mom just did that. She had a "dumb" phone on a senior plan and upgraded to a new iPhone 4. The phone was "free" but they added $30 to her monthly bill for data. So yeah, the phone was subsidized.

Not sure what her monthly data allowance is because she has no idea!

ParamUser

@verizon.net
reply to pende_tim

1. Yes, with the 65+ you can get a subsidized phone with a 2-year contract.
2. From my understanding, the 65+ does not get the Friends & Family unfortunately. For that you will need a plan that has 1400+.
3. In 65+, you get 450 daytime minutes and then 1000 Night and Weekend Minutes, any calls (to numbers other than VzW numbers) will deduct from this pool.

pende_tim
Premium
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to pende_tim

Thanks All. Since most of our friends and family are on Verizon Wireless, this may work out for us.

If we are at home there are several VoIP lines we can use to make calls, so minutes only used outside the house.
--

pende_tim
Premium
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to pende_tim

Update:
Stopped in a Verizon store today and talked with the sales guy about this plan. Bottom line, it is really poor as the cost is almost equal to the share everything plan.

65+
2 lines $60 (450 minutes shared)
2 data @2GB $60 (data is not shared on this plan)
2 text 1000 units $20
Total, before fees $140.00

shared 2 smart phones

2 phones $80.00 (unlimited text & talk )
2 GB shared data $60 (shared between 2 phones)
Total $140.00

So for the same price I can get slightly less data but a lot more talking time.

What is the point of the 65 plus if you have a smart phone???

Initially I was excited as I ass/um/ed the 65 plus allowed sharing data between lines, but that is not the case.

And to confirm what others have said, any phone is available with a subsidy on the 65 plus and "friends + family" does not apply unless you have a 1400 minute plan. I am not sure the relevance of the Friends + Family anymore as there does not seem to be a plan offering that has 1400 minutes. They are either 450 minutes or unlimited.

Straight Talk with Google/LG Nexus 4 is sounding really good right now. Sweet phone, $90/month for both of us.

--

Pacomartin

join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
reply to pende_tim

My mother has the 65+ plan. It really is only good for a "basic phone". She gets 200 minutes plus free mobile to mobile and free nights and weekends (and an sometimes bonus minutes) for $29.99 + taxes and fees (about $7). Overtime minutes are 45 cents/minute.

You can get a regular plan where everything is the same for $39.99 that is good for 700 minutes.

As she has used between 5 and 72 minutes in the last year, she is in no danger of going over. But a total of 267 overtime minutes in the course of the year is the break point where you are better off with the regular plan.

There seems to be a doubling in price to get "unlimited" voice minutes. The minimum price seems to be $80/month.

But 700 minutes is quite a lot of time considering the mobile to mobile calls are free. My mother uses more free mobile to mobile minutes than minutes that count against her balance.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to pende_tim

said by pende_tim:

So for the same price I can get slightly less data but a lot more talking time.

Not sure that 50% less is "slightly"... the 65+ plan is a better deal if you use data more than minutes.

bwclark

join:2004-07-05
Eureka, CA
reply to pende_tim

I am looking at the single line 65+ with 200 minutes at $30/mo and 2gb data at $30/mo.

Total = $60/mo.

Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Any issues?

pende_tim
Premium
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

Do you want texting with that? IIRC that is extra $10.
Your total of $60 will be about $75/month when taxes/untaxes/fees are included.

There are a lot of prepaid that will give you unlimited talk, text and 1 or 2 GB data for $50 or less per month.. Net10, Redpocket, Straight talk come to mind.
--

bwclark

join:2004-07-05
Eureka, CA

No.....pay as you go for texting.
Verizon 4G LTE is the best coverage/strength in this area.
AND I want the SGS4

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to pende_tim

Don't forget Page Plus as well.

pende_tim
Premium
Andover, NJ

Will page plus allow any Verizon unlocked phone to be activated?

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium
join:2001-12-23
Windsor, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

I've spent an embarssing amout of time on this lol.

Pageplus uses Verizon's prepaid 3G Network. I've been looking at getting a used smartphone that is 3G capable.

Two Pageplus retailers that I have been looking at are kittywireless.com and beigephone.com. They resell Pageplus plans at no markup, etc. Maybe check them out and find what you want. They also have a limited selection of BYOD at decent prices. kittywireless has a forum and there's a used cell for sale forum there.

O.
--
Windsor, Home of the Decorative Zamboni

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to pende_tim

Well my mother had brought over her 3 year old LG VX8360 flip phone with no issues and before that an LG VX8300. Can't answer that in regards to 3G smartphones though.