DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2
reply to Krisnatharok

Re: Reddit: The Desktop PC is Ready for a Rebirth

Desktops won't rebound unless the "one thing at a time" UX paradigm of Win8/iOS/Android is downshifted. For a mobile/handheld device it's one thing. That form factor is intended primarily as an information consumption device with limited interactivity. Desktops are intended for the information *producer* and knowledge worker. They are hobbled by the one thing at a time approach, and the pad UX DOES NOT scale-up properly for a device that isn't limited by a tiny screen. What's the point of a killer CPU if 99.9999999% of its cycles are waste heat?

Frankly, desktops should be no longer be marketed to the non-corporate user. That would allow manufacturers to focus on both general-purpose and purpose-specific features and capabilities that are critical to corporate users but have no traction with consumers, education, or gamers. Non-business users are simply siphoning resources for ever-decreasing returns.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Mcdonough, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com

said by DC DSL:

For a mobile/handheld device it's one thing. That form factor is intended primarily as an information consumption device with limited interactivity. Desktops are intended for the information *producer* and knowledge worker.

One of the best descriptions of the two competing technologies I have read (and will steal).
--
That's "MISTER" Kafir to you.

kdshapiro

join:2000-03-29
Eatontown, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

I couldn't agree more. It's fun watching Netflix on my ipad, or being able to use safari to do light browsing with limited interaction.

But when I need to actually do more than type at snails pace I hit the desktop. Video/sound editing, typing papers, remote support, and browsing is so much more comfortable with big monitors, core i7 980, 12 gig ram and 6 terabytes of hard disc space.

During Hurricane Sandy power outages, I was able to do work on my desktop hooked to the generator(albeit without internet), while the ol' ipad was dead due to the issues in the area.
--
Ken