uniqs
share rss forum feed

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to d4m1r

Re: SMTP Servers?

Again, yes it's a possibility but becoming less and less likely...What % of spam is currently sent from a residential connection? I've got loads of spam IPs or check any online spam DB, it's like nothing practically (1%?).

So ideal, TSI wouldn't block ANY ports but since they do block port 25, my original question remains....What is a better overall option, use TSI's SMTP servers, Google's, or any other free/simple options?
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

henry128

join:2010-09-03
Mississauga, ON
A random sample of spam I've received in the last few days: 16 of 26 came from ISP-like addresses: ~60%. Most of these weren't from this continent, probably because ISPs around here tend to block port 25 by default.

One non-free option I'm using is to pay for a static IP. Teksavvy doesn't block port 25, at least for me.

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON
reply to d4m1r
In my archive of around 2 million spam messages, 77% (±2%) have originated from dynamic, ISP-assigned IP addresses (nothing close to "nothing practically"). Most customer-facing email servers I've run into accept mail on the submission port (587), including Google's and Microsoft's. If you have a static IP, the port restriction is lifted, so if you want to run a mailserver that's a-ok.

(edit: typo'd)

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to henry128
said by henry128:

One non-free option I'm using is to pay for a static IP. Teksavvy doesn't block port 25, at least for me.

TSI doesn't offer static IPs on the Rogers cable network because Rogers don't.

Anyway, between Google's SMTP servers and TSI's....Votes either way?
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to squircle
said by squircle:

In my archive of around 2 million spam messages, 77% (±2%) have originated from dynamic, ISP-assigned IP addresses (nothing close to "nothing practically").

Obviously this can vary from server to server for a number of reasons but this is what I was expecting.

said by squircle:

Most customer-facing email servers I've run into accept mail on the submission port (587), including Google's and Microsoft's.

As any properly configured and administered mail server should be, it has only been a standard for over a decade.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Tell that to some Canadian ISPs ... I left one for precisely this reason. They would not open port 587, telling me to get Rogers to lift the block. Yeah, right.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
said by sbrook:

Tell that to some Canadian ISPs ... I left one for precisely this reason. They would not open port 587, telling me to get Rogers to lift the block. Yeah, right.

Some ISPs mail server setups are a joke and they don't know what they're doing. I'm not impressed with TSIs mail server setup either. But that is also why I said properly.