how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rotan

join:2010-10-06

Opinions on Start.Ca Cable

Hi guys,

I'm looking to switching ISPs to a more reliable ISP after having too many issues with Teksavvy during the evenings that I don't want to effect my business since i work from home.

How is their cable service? Does it use Rogers EQ? How is their reliability? I read they have outstanding customer service, but I want to hear more about their internet. Thanks guys!

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

I've been with Start since July for cable and I've had zero issues since I signed up, I've had a few questions that I had to call tech support for and the wait time was at most 1 minute each time I called. The staff were friendly, courteous and knowledgeable, they were able to answer my question immediately.

My connection has been rock solid since I signed up for it and there have been no slowdowns. I have the Standard Cable Internet plan, 18Mbps download and 512Kbps upload.

Toronto Nexicom: »www.speedtest.net/result/2434233842.png
Montreal Fibrenoire: »www.speedtest.net/result/2434235810.png

Tracing route to google.ca [74.125.226.56]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2     7 ms     7 ms     7 ms  10.106.193.1
  3    28 ms    18 ms    18 ms  69.63.254.205
  4    18 ms    16 ms    14 ms  69.63.250.218
  5    18 ms    17 ms    20 ms  gw-google.torontointernetxchange.net [206.108.34.6]
  6    16 ms    20 ms    17 ms  216.239.47.114
  7    17 ms    19 ms    18 ms  64.233.175.132
  8    17 ms    28 ms    17 ms  yyz06s06-in-f24.1e100.net [74.125.226.56]

Trace complete.

You can see my review of Start here »/comment/86431, I included some speed test in the review as well.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
reply to rotan

If the problems are caused by an overcrowded cable segment, no ISP that uses Rogers last mile is immune (including Rogers themselves). And both Start and Teksavvy use Rogers cable.

hm

@videotron.ca

said by sbrook:

If the problems are caused by an overcrowded cable segment, no ISP that uses Rogers last mile is immune (including Rogers themselves). And both Start and Teksavvy use Rogers cable.

*If*

I don't see these same speed issues in the Rogers forum Or Acanac's, or starts, or distributel. Seems to only be TSI.

It wouldn't be the first time TSI's links are over-saturated and congested while they continue to sell what they can't support and their forum mouth pieces flap their lips and play people. It's already been seen.

They have done this with Videotron reselling and Rogers reselling.

If it was as you stated, every Rogers reseller would have these slow downs. But it appears it's only TSI.

The guy should ask in the Start forum, »Start Communications if anyone there in his area code is suffering by slowdowns as well, and also ask in the Rogers forum. If not then... guess it's all Rogers fault anyhow as that is all they can ever say even when it's their own damn fault.

Blame shifting and playing people are the two areas TSI has excelled in the past couple of years.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:26

said by hm :

said by sbrook:

*If*

I don't see these same speed issues in the Rogers forum Or Acanac's, or starts, or distributel. Seems to only be TSI.

It wouldn't be the first time TSI's links are over-saturated and congested while they continue to sell what they can't support and their forum mouth pieces flap their lips and play people. It's already been seen.

They have done this with Videotron reselling and Rogers reselling.

If it was as you stated, every Rogers reseller would have these slow downs. But it appears it's only TSI.

The guy should ask in the Start forum, »Start Communications if anyone there in his area code is suffering by slowdowns as well, and also ask in the Rogers forum. If not then... guess it's all Rogers fault anyhow as that is all they can ever say even when it's their own damn fault.

Blame shifting and playing people are the two areas TSI has excelled in the past couple of years.

you'd have to compare with an other user who is on that same segment/node. what are the odds of that??

blame shifting? playing people? -- deliberately?? no way. dont know how I could possibly be any more transparent.

any time there were capacity problems in the past.. we openly spoke about it.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

rotan

join:2010-10-06

Thanks guys, I don't want this to turn into a TSI bash thread - they have been great up until this month. I can't afford to have such a bad service happen this frequently - it's nothing personal, it's business - my business.

From what I've read, all good things so far from Start. I do not want to go to Rogers or Bell ever again, so I'm looking for the best option from limited options. I appreciate all feedback, but lets try to keep it civil

Guru

join:2008-10-01
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

I am a Teksavvy and Start's user. Both are good in their own terms and have their ups and downs.

Having said that, my Start connection have been rock solid without an issue except for 2 times which I just reset the modem once and changed settings on my router. I contacted Customer service and technical support and both are good. A little better than Teksavvy! DSLr is great for that and employees from both companies have been excellent and provided good support up until now!

2     9 ms     7 ms     7 ms  10.195.36.1
  3    16 ms    15 ms    15 ms  asr-link1-burlington1.net.start.ca [64.140.112.1
54]
  4    14 ms    15 ms    15 ms  core1-toronto1-te3-3.net.start.ca [64.140.112.15
3]
  5    14 ms    15 ms    15 ms  gw-google.torontointernetxchange.net [206.108.34
.6]
  6    14 ms    15 ms    15 ms  216.239.47.114
  7    16 ms    16 ms    14 ms  64.233.175.132
  8    15 ms    14 ms    15 ms  yyz06s06-in-f31.1e100.net [74.125.226.63]

Trace complete.

Topiatic

join:2011-02-20
Oakville, ON
reply to rotan

I'm with Start in the Cogeco area so this may not apply, but I have had consistency in speed and connection since I signed up with them when they first started offering abroad.
--
Bah!

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to rotan

Aside from an inflated amount of posts in the Canadian Broadband forum they seem to be getting very positive reviews.

Goto their forum at

»Start Communications

To get a better view of posts for people having issues and how they are dealt with. Do this for any ISP you are considering here as they are unable to moderate these forums so it is a good snapshot of how a company works and how content the users are

coaxguy

join:2009-07-29
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
·Start Communicat..
reply to rotan

I highly respect Start, as I've turned many friends and family onto them. All their connections work flawlessly. I soon will join the start family, just waiting on a minor faux paw with my wife's work so I can change over. (They comp 50% of our Internet bill, but Start is not on their list of approved ISPs yet, we're told they will be added February).

Phorkster
Premium
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON
kudos:1
reply to rotan

Start has been awesome since day 1. Rocca is quick to answer any questions in the Start message board area. Transition was easy and connection is rock solid. (Also Cogecoland)

dan mackay

join:2008-10-11
Barrie, ON

Also been great since day one here, and rocca replied to a email I sent to support at 3 am the night I requested my plan change, never had a problem getting my plans full speeds either.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium,MVM
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to Phorkster

said by Phorkster:

Start has been awesome since day 1. Rocca is quick to answer any questions in the Start message board area. Transition was easy and connection is rock solid. (Also Cogecoland)

Yep. Ditto. Very impressive.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

duckdown

join:2005-02-17
Brampton, ON
reply to rotan

Been with Start for over 4 months now and couldn't be happier. Except they lowered their data cap for my plan since signing up.. But it's OK, I don't really approach the limit anyways

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by duckdown:

Been with Start for over 4 months now and couldn't be happier. Except they lowered their data cap for my plan since signing up.. But it's OK, I don't really approach the limit anyways

Your cap was only lowered if you upgraded to the new plans that they released, otherwise you were grandfathered in to the old plans and your cap will be the same as when you signed up.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to dillyhammer

said by dillyhammer:

said by Phorkster:

Start has been awesome since day 1. Rocca is quick to answer any questions in the Start message board area.
Transition was easy and connection is rock solid. (Also Cogecoland)

Yep. Ditto. Very impressive. - Mike

Me too, in Eastern Ontario Cogeco-Land, since last April (early adopter)

20/1.5 service with a D3 series modem.

Start essentially is all of Cogeco's quality network, with none of the BS.
--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.