spc
uniqs

PGHammer
join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer to neufuse

to neufuse

Re: IMAP Trial from XFINITY!

Because a lot of Comcast's customer base (like me) used a mail client that supported POP3. Outlook Express (the default mail client pre-Windows 8) and Outlook itself have ALWAYS supported POP3 - Outlook *itself* didn't get IMAP4 support until the 2010 for PC/2011 for OS X iterations. (And the only reason I noticed at all is because GMail, which supports both POP3 and IMAP4, defaults to IMAP4 as of Outlook 2010.) Outlook 2013 *still* defaults to POP3 for my CHSI mail - as is the case with GMail, it matters not a whit to me personally. The biggest push for IMAP4 is for smartphone connectivity - not PCs or Macs, or even Windows 8.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

Outlook has supported IMAP, albeit poorly, since Outlook 98.

PGHammer
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer

As you phrased it - poorly. IMAP4 support didn't mature until Outlook 2010 - where it was as hands-free as their POP3 support (which has ALWAYS been hands-free.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

It still could use a bit more work, imho. Comparing POP3 and IMAP though is really like comparing a carburetor and a fuel injection system - while both perform a similar basic function, how they go about it is completely different. Comcast might deserve a bit of chiding for no IMAP support to date, but Microsoft with their recently released Outlook.com that does not support IMAP is probably a far more deserving target.

PGHammer
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer

Again, the issue is smartphones/devices - not PCs or even Macs. The Outlook.com issue is even sillier because by default it uses the SAME mail protocol as Hotmail (which it is seeking to replace) - Exchange ActiveSync (which the Windows 8 Mail app supports , as does Outlook 2013). I have all three mail services (CHSI, Outlook.com, and GMail) on my Windows 8 desktop and use a SINGLE mail client with them all: Outlook 2013. However, no two mail services use the same protocol: POP3 with CHSI, EAS with Outlook.com, and IMAP4 with GMail. Outlook has no issues, either.

papabapa
@lowellgeneral.org

papabapa to PGHammer

Anon

to PGHammer
does anyone know what the storage limit is for the IMAP beta?