uniqs
share rss forum feed

oldsam

join:2011-05-30
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile

1 edit

Called Bell to cancel, got unlimited 25down/25up no contract

So I called Bell with the intention of cancelling all services for a friend of mine, who is paying about $55 for home phone, $55 for 15mbps down/ 1mbps up internet and about $85 for TV, and having her switch over to voip.ms for home phone, Teksavvy for internet and Netflix for tv, only to find out that Bell managed to sneak a two year contract for the TV.

I argued for a bit, escalated the issue to a supervisor, argued a bit more with no luck having them budge out of the contract. Eventually they agreed to reduce the home phone to $9.95, increase internet to 25mbps down, 25mbps up UNLIMITED (didn't even know that was possible), and the basic tv plan with a DVR for about $25, altogether about $95 a month, no contract required, apart from the existing contract for TV.

Anybody else ever manage to get unlimited fibre from Bell for similar prices? I was pretty surprised when the representative told me about the offer.

Riplin

join:2002-05-13
canada

Bell does cable? news to me

shrug

@videotron.ca
reply to oldsam

Wait 48-hrs and call Bell back to confirm everything.

While the pricing is ok, I believe that is a 12 or 24 month contract price for phone.

You will have to look into it after 48-hrs to confirm. Bell is known to screw people like this.

Also, the unlimited and special pricing is likely all conditional on the 3 services bundle. Drop one and prices increase on everything and you will likely lose the unlimited.

But call and confirm everything. Ask what happens if you cancel a service. Let us know.

Try to do it all in writing via Email and paste the reply. But Bell doesn't like to put stuff in writing when they screw people, so you will likely have to call anyhow.

oldsam

reply to Riplin

Sorry, fixed

oldsam

Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
reply to shrug

said by shrug :

Wait 48-hrs and call Bell back to confirm everything.

While the pricing is ok, I believe that is a 12 or 24 month contract price for phone.

You will have to look into it after 48-hrs to confirm. Bell is known to screw people like this.

Also, the unlimited and special pricing is likely all conditional on the 3 services bundle. Drop one and prices increase on everything and you will likely lose the unlimited.

But call and confirm everything. Ask what happens if you cancel a service. Let us know.

Try to do it all in writing via Email and paste the reply. But Bell doesn't like to put stuff in writing when they screw people, so you will likely have to call anyhow.

I recorded the whole conversation (went on for 50 minutes) and made sure that the agent I talked to clearly stated that the plan is a no contract promotion and that I can cancel anytime I want. Will call back anyways and let you guys know.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

Only way that's possible is if you're in an area that has FTTH installed, and they're going to install it for you.. Did you at least get an install date?
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24
reply to oldsam

At the end of the day, your friend will need to decide if they want to move ahead with something new or not. Whatever the decision is, make sure to confirm that deal first. It sounds to me it may be for X amount of time which puts them in the same situation. Maybe it's time to move on to newer and better things, like TekSavvy

coaxguy

join:2009-07-29
kudos:1
reply to oldsam

Bell started offering unlimited as of today. They don't offer 25/25 though, it doesn't exist, there is no tier for it. 25/10 is the highest in FTTN, and even FTTH, it's 25/10, 50/50 or 175/175

silvercat

join:2007-11-07
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by coaxguy:

25/10 is the highest in FTTN

Now 50/10 is highest for FTTN

silvercat

Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to coaxguy

I still think that with Bell now offering unlimited for $10 extra (if you have three services with them) or for $30 extra otherwise, is a sign that the upcoming capacity rate changes that the CRTC will introduce will not be their favour. If this is the case, and if they know this, you would think this new unlimited "policy" would be the result of knowing that the independent ISP's upcoming packaging and pricing changes (as a result of revised capacity rates favourable to the IISP's) would be even more difficult for them to compete with.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

said by silvercat:

....If this is the case, and if they know this, you would think this new unlimited "policy" would be the result of knowing that the independent ISP's upcoming packaging and pricing changes (as a result of revised capacity rates favourable to the IISP's) would be even more difficult for them to compete with.

Interesting thoughts....

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.

rednekcowboy

join:2012-03-21
kudos:1
reply to oldsam

Hell has frozen over--Bhelll is offering unlimited......

Expand your moderator at work

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to rednekcowboy

Re: Called Bell to cancel, got unlimited 25down/25up no contract

Question is for how long. Bell has a history of reverting such plans when they know they can screw their customers.

WhyBother

@start.ca

said by mlerner:

Question is for how long. Bell has a history of reverting such plans when they know they can screw their customers.

Agreed! People shouldn't get suckered in.

To be fair, if you're already a Bell client and have 3 services, I guess it makes sense at $10 but for $30 extra, you might as well switch.

And I think this also proves that Bell's arguments for UBB was b.s. all along.

Nitra

join:2011-09-15
Montreal
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

It really worries me how many will get suckered into this and have Bell take it away in several months.

I had an issue just like this a number of months ago, Bell made me an offer, it was on my account for a period, the suddenly it was gone. When I called in, I was told it had been removed and they would no longer honor it. At that point, I left Bell for internet and kept FibeTV.
Regardless of what they tell you, they can and will take the "Unlimited" or "Discounts" off whenever they feel like it, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Countless others here can attest the the billing issues people have with Bell, in my 2 years with them for FibeTV/Internet, not one bill, I really mean, not one bill had the amount on it that it should have.
Despite no service change, no orders, nothing that would cause a bill difference, my bills were never the same, I spent hours and hours on the phone trying to get it fixed.

Never again, unlimited might be a great offer, but IMHO, it's not worth dealing with Bell.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to mlerner

Yeah, the new rate changes might not be in their favour, so Bell is sucking in as many people as they can with 'unlimited', only to end in in a bit and hope that people will switch back to them, or get comfortable with them and not cancel Bell once the new rates hit because of "awesome" bundle specials.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

What I find troubling about this is the POTENTIAL that Bell *knows* the CRTC decision now, and the indies don't -- if this is indeed the case.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3

Any company that's making profit in the millions needs to know what their staff is doing. Bell is no exception.

MaynardKrebs
Premium

Shrug

@videotron.ca
reply to mlerner

said by mlerner:

Bell has a history of reverting such plans when they know they can screw their customers.

Bell's history is:
Offer something new.
Get as many people as possible
Raise rate in 2 or 3 months across the board.

Every single promo is like this since 2007, as shown in the Bell forum.

Along with what you stated.

In the case with the guy above, he's locked into another contract and doesn't know yet that he's been lied to. Wait till he calls again and finds out what happens if he cancels the service 2 months down the road.

The 9.95 phone promo has always been another contract as I can recall.

The scam here that we are seeing in this topic is the following:
They raise rates on internet then tell you that you can break your contract if you don't agree to the new rate terms.

You think fine, I will.

But as soon as you break the bundle, phone and TV go up by ~40$ or so and you can't drop those w/o cancellation fee's and/or early termination fee's because the rates did not change on those and you had a triple bundle savings that you just broke.

In this case the TV is on contract, and I'm pretty damn 99% sure that 9.95$ phone service is a 12 to 24 month contract (if i'm not mistaken, that 9.95 rate increases after 3 or 6 months as well, as part of the phone promo).

Anyhow, this guy will learn not to believe anything Bell tells him. His life lesson, or rather, his friends life lesson.

He better hang on to that apparent "recording". His friend will need it when they decide to run to the CCTS for help when they realize how screwed they are.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

What I find troubling about this is the POTENTIAL that Bell *knows* the CRTC decision now, and the indies don't -- if this is indeed the case.

If the decision is going to be released in February, that probably means it has been finished for a number of weeks, if not months.

There's apparently a big delay between completing the decision and getting it translated to be released in both official languages simultaneously. That process isn't under CRTC control.

There could be leaks in that part of the process, or Bell simply knows their case was utter nonsense, and are preparing for what they THINK will happen.

Regardless, Bell won an extra year of marketplace uncertainty while still in a dominant position. The CRTC has once again been played by Bell.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

MaynardKrebs
Premium

said by HeadSpinning:

said by MaynardKrebs:

If the decision is going to be released in February, that probably means it has been finished for a number of weeks, if not months.

There's apparently a big delay between completing the decision and getting it translated to be released in both official languages simultaneously. That process isn't under CRTC control.

There could be leaks in that part of the process, or Bell simply knows their case was utter nonsense, and are preparing for what they THINK will happen.

Regardless, Bell won an extra year of marketplace uncertainty while still in a dominant position. The CRTC has once again been played by Bell.

There should be retroactive rate cuts for the indies when shit like this happens.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

said by MaynardKrebs:

There should be retroactive rate cuts for the indies when shit like this happens.

It would help some, but a workable, stable regulatory environment would be better.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to MaynardKrebs

Good luck with that, they were interim costs

Tristan

join:2006-09-10
Nepean, ON
reply to oldsam

Agreed, definitely interim costs.

They dangle the fruit, get you to take the bait, then at some future point in time, they jack up the rates.

Since there's no contract, they can get away with it.

oldsam

Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
reply to oldsam

Just to clear things up (totally my fault for not stating that earlier on), the $9.95 phone plan is just the phone line, no minutes, no calling features. I was forced to keep it as many of you already stated that if i drop the home phone, the rates of the other services will go up, and as the CR told me, unlimited only comes when bundled with the home phone and tv. I've already submitted a port request to voip.ms, and the Bell phone line will just sit there collecting dust.
I'm still dropping Bell as soon as the contract is over, but for the time being, this is my best option. To clarify one more time, the plan I have at the moment is a 12 month promotion, and not a contract (although the tv is still on contract, with about 15 months remaining). As soon as the 15 months are over, I will be making the switch to either Teksavvy or Start.

plumerya

join:2004-08-20
Montreal, QC

I think as soon as you port your number your phone line will be disconnected.. thats what happened when I ported to my ooma.

TigerLord
UEE Citizen
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to oldsam

Thanks for sharing. You inspired me to call and I got 75$ knocked off my bill.

This tastes gooooood.

silvercat

Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

Hasn't this always been the case ?