how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MarcMaiden

join:2013-01-27
reply to jap

Re: [Connectivity] Uploads only working on 1 laptop in the house

The behavior has not been consistent - the reasons for the modem switch was that after a week, my downloads wouldn't go higher than .5mb/s - uploads were non existent. Second modem (same model) they gave me was also bad. This set up works flawlessly with downloads, and uploads only really work on the laptop I used to set up and activate the network which is why I feel it's a DNS/IP address issue.

Modem: CM820
Router: Wireless N 100 WNR1000v2

I just hooked up one of the problem device to the router directly and the issue was resolved for that particular device which is interesting so I guess in this case plugging in directly once will fix the issue? Is this something common? I am a software engineer but I do not work with networking that much - I just moved out of my parents house for the first time where I've had internet set up for me my whole life haha.

jap
Premium
join:2003-08-10
038xx

3 edits
shit. I wrote a reply then walked dog before posting. In the interim your new info makes my questions obsolete so deleted.
2am here and need to sleep.

Your new test sounds like a DHCP issue but first post suggested multiple simultaneous devices worked fine *except* if one attempted a sustained upload. That wouldn't be DHCP.

G'luck with it!

MarcMaiden

join:2013-01-27
Figured it out!

The MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) was set too high - It was 1500 which should be ok for comcast, but I guess it was sending packets that were too large which was crashing my network - Not sure why the difference, but setting it to 1470 did the trick!

jap
Premium
join:2003-08-10
038xx
said by MarcMaiden:

setting it to 1470 did the trick!

Hmm. That doesn't make sense to me but, hey, you got it working.