how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ASuarez27

join:2013-01-27

[Cable] New home wireing

Hello,

I just bought a new home and apparently the friendly people that lived here before decided to cut every single cable in the house. Even the drop. So I had the local cable company come out and install a new drop and they also ran 1 cable for free. They wanted $40 for every additional outlet, so I said no thanks.

So I bought myself a box of RG6 and am going to run the outlets myself. I do have one question though. I am planning on running 6 outlets and wanted to know what the best way would be to split the signal to each outlet. One of them will be a cable modem, the rest will be digital cable boxes.

I was planning on doing a 2way splitter from the drop and connecting the modem to one of those ends so that the modem only has a 3.5 db loss, then on the other end connect a 6 way splitter which would give each TV a 14db loss.

Would the TV's have an issue with 14db loss? Would I need to get an amp for that splitter? Any other suggestions on how to get this accomplished? Thanks in advance.

westdc

join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA
kudos:1

1 edit

I suggest you run a Dedicated Drop (single) line from each outlet (room) to a central location (where) the cable-phone come into the home now-DO NOT SPLIT ANY CABLES. Put the cable spliter in the central location should you change providers (future) it will make your system re- wiring easy.

Sat & cable modems can NOT share a Cable-they will require a separate run.

You may wish to run a Cat5/6 drop to each location as well.

Or if you order a D* or Dish service the will provide up to 4 rooms of wiring in your install for "free" However they will not be wall fishes.

p110011

join:2001-12-29
Oregon City, OR
reply to ASuarez27

Nobody is there with a meter, so it's just a guessing game. I would just get a good 8 way (10.5db loss + insertion)

The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC
reply to ASuarez27

Yeah, -14dB is a lot of loss.

Why not use a 3_way @ -3.5 / -7.0 / -7.0dB: One -7db connected to your modem (should be good) and the other connected to your strongest HD TV or Gateway/media server STB.

The -3.5dB leg gets connected to a 4_way @ -7.0dB.
Then you only have -10.5 dB on each of the remaining 4 lines.

That's how I would do it in order to give the best signal to all outlets based on priority. That's my job, that's what I do.

Won't the cable company come back and take care of that for you?
--
"All opinions stated by me are solely my views and do not reflect the views of my employer, this site, or even myself depending on my level of sanity at the moment"

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada

That's pretty dumb that they cut every single cable wire in your house bfore they sold the house to you. Had I bought a house knowing this, I would have negociated the price of the house to reflect this. You can easily knock a grand or more off the asking price because of the labour required to run these from a professional contractor could easily be up in the hundreds, this labour includes fishing wires much like your neighbours house, not simply staplign them to the baseboards like your cable company wants to do.

The next thing i would do is run each wire to a central location in your house, most commonly the hydro electric panel in your basement. make sure you run a grounding block wire from the local water coper pipe also so your cable system is grounded. Secondly, i would put a 2 way splitter as the first split from the cable company feed. (3-way unbalanced splitter if your using cable home phone)
The second leg of the first splitter will then go into a drop amp which will give a 7-12 db boost to compensate for the a 6-way splitter which will give a 12db loss. this will give you enough and equal signal at all digital boxes and have enough upstream for your services such as VOD and SDV to correctly work, and your modem will be unaffected by problems since it has its own split.
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

treeman
Premium
join:2000-07-15
Mcgaheysville, VA
reply to ASuarez27

If they cut all the cables sounds like a foreclosure or a short sale.

egnlsn
Premium
join:2003-09-26
Salt Lake City, UT
reply to ASuarez27

Your plan is good, and, yes, you would want to install a drop amp on the 6-way splitter.
--
CIAO!

egnlsn
Premium
join:2003-09-26
Salt Lake City, UT
reply to ASuarez27

Your plan is good, and, yes, you would want to install a drop amp on the 6-way splitter.
--
CIAO!