Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

2 recommendations

reply to Cartel

Re: Jailbreaking cell phones to become ILLEGAL at midnight

Fees are one of the biggest points of robbery in business, and there is no damn need for them.

If I go into the Shop Rite and buy something not taxed(ie any normal food item.) I pay what it says on the shelf tag.

The story they need fees to cover costs is complete bullshit. Supermarket covers its costs with the shelf prices, There is no "cashier check out fee." or "Deli slicing fee" the cost of the item is what it says on the tag.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2

Un-fees seem to be very popular with utility companies. They make boat loads of undeserved cash from them.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

If I go into the Shop Rite and buy something not taxed(ie any normal food item.) I pay what it says on the shelf tag.

In the specific subject matter of this thread, this makes a poor analogy. This would be going into the supermarket and picking up the can opener that says "special, 1 cent for this electronic can opener that will only work on our baked beans, and you have to agree to buy our beans for a year". Then you attempt to modify the can opener to work with someone else's bean tins.

That this analogy sounds ridiculous is only due to the difference between hardware and software, and that supermarkets haven't yet figured out how to do lock-in.

I agree, however, that the general nature of "fees" is irritating as hell. I don't frigging care about how the store determines the final cost to me: I just want to know the final cost to me. It amounts to deceptive advertising to show a price that is not the price I pay.