Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

[TWC] Why did the name change?

Why did the name of this forum change?

I just visited two MAJOR TWC websites that have ROAD RUNNER in the name.

My email addresses have "...rr.com".

Web mail has "rr.com"

So, obviously, "Road Runner" is still in use by TWC so why did this forum jump the gun? "Time Warner Internet Services" is not only a huge mouthful but ugly as heck. So, why did you change it? Did TWC request this change?

ds5v50
join:2003-01-22
Fremont, OH

ds5v50

I find it appropriate, my area has removed all instances of Road Runner. That is except for the network naming schemes. There vehicles, shipping boxes, everything.
Fleeced
join:2012-10-06

1 recommendation

Fleeced to Mele20

to Mele20
Of what I've heard, they're going to start making a lot of changes and moving away from the "Road Runner" branding, one reason is because TWC and Time Warner are no longer directly affiliated, where as TWC used to be a subsidiary of TW. That along with the "Regionalization" that they're supposedly trying to do, and the rumors of a "unified" domain (Something like twc.com or some such for emails).

Why they can't do a special "Name" for the internet, I dunno.

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
·Frontier FiberOp..

2 recommendations

Racerbob to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
This forum did not jump the gun. It is just that Time Warner is dragging it's rebranding process out a bit longer it seems.

Phil wrote about this last May.

»stopthecap.com/2012/05/1 ··· pricing/

and from this site...

»Time Warner Cable Kills the Roadrunner [120] comments

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
If you look at TWC.com I doubt you find the word Roadrunner.
The rr.com still exists of course for mail, that transition is going to be very cumbersome.

Hob
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I wasn't asking about what is on TWC trucks or the monthly bill.

I am asking why did this forum jump the gun on renaming the forum when TWC still has ALL of its sites that relate to Road Runner still labeled and accessed as Road Runner sites?

This forum is not a monthly magazine that is sent to my home. It is a forum on the internet where "Road Runner" is still very much alive. I feel that unless and until TWC kills the name "RR" or "Road Runner" on its internet sites that this forum jumped the gun. The new name is so bad that there was no reason to jump the gun on using it. My understanding is that TWC will probably NEVER abandon "Road Runner" or "RR" in email addresses or the major websites. (Just like what happened here with the failed "BBR" and for the same reasons).

So, again I ask why did this forum see fit to do something unnecessary, at this point, and maybe never necessary?

As for a lame excuse by TWC last year that competition doesn't exist now with DSL so no need to emphasize for the user the difference between DSL speeds and Road Runner is not true. In Hawaii DSL is faster now than Road Runner. Maybe the fact that the competition is better than TWC now is why they decided to drop RR name? In my neck of the woods, RR is all there is...no competition, but on Oahu, where the vast majority of the population resides, there is intense competition and the competition appears to be winning at the moment. Oceanic TWC can't even manage to upgrade the neighbor islands to 15/1. They are still at 10/1. So, I'd say the real reason to drop "Road Runner" would be because RR is not very fast these days.

I realize that in some divisions TWC does have fast internet for all subscribers but I was asking about a forum name change not what is on the trucks. What is on the trucks and the bills reflects TV service more than internet anyway and always has. As for the "eye and ear"...what "eye and ear"? That logo is an ocean wave. It looks just like a big wave off North Shore on Oahu. It bears zero resemblence to a human eye or ear! I always have thought it was designed by Oceanic just for use in Hawaii just as we have "Oceanic" incorporated in the name here ...we are Oceanic TWC ...NOT just TWC.
Expand your moderator at work

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

DocDrew to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

Re: [TWC] Why did the name change?

I think the forum name was changed because TWC doesn't refer to their Internet product as Roadrunner anymore. It's officially NOT the name of the service.

You can refer to it as whatever you want, but you may find people wondering what you're talking about ...

Since you want to hang on to old names, you should call it:
AOL-Time Warner Oceanic Cablevision Roadrunner High Speed Internet. Just calling it Roadrunner is an improper shortening of its old name.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

2 recommendations

hobgoblin to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
"I feel that unless and until TWC kills the name "RR" or "Road Runner" on its internet sites that this forum jumped the gun."

Enjoy the feeling.

Who cares.

Hob

j1349705
Premium Member
join:2006-04-15
Holly Springs, NC

j1349705 to hobgoblin

Premium Member

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

The rr.com still exists of course for mail, that transition is going to be very cumbersome.

Hob

I would imagine they will take AT&T's approach... gradually transition the rr.com home page to something else, and let everyone keep their old email addresses for as long as they want. New email accounts would be set up on the new domain name.

They might not even bother to update the PTR records on their IP addresses.

There are tons of AT&T customers with email addresses on old domain names including (but not limited to) bellsouth.net, pacbell,net, and sbcglobal.net. Many of their PTR records (Reverse DNS) still reference old domain names as well.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

Agreed. Its still a very cumbersome process.

Hob

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Mele20

MVM

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

So, obviously, "Road Runner" is still in use by TWC so why did this forum jump the gun? "Time Warner Internet Services" is not only a huge mouthful but ugly as heck.

TWC officially re-branded in 2012.

What I see is similar to what happened after SBC Global bought AT&T. That corporation officially re-branded as AT&T within two, or three months of taking over; but many of the customer-facing corporate websites continued with the SBC logo, and 'sbcglobal.net' domain for a year, or more, after the official re-branding.

The '*.rr.com' email domains will be more complicated. Many are set up with third level regional names, such that their well could be a 'j.bannock@socal.rr.com' and a 'j.bannock@tx.rr.com'. They either have to keep the region identifiers at the third level, or force some users to give up a conflicted user name. I saw a friend having to give up a 'j.bannock' when Comcast took over @Home, because their already existed a 'j.bannock@comcast'; my friend had to give up his user name. I could have faced similar if SBC/AT&T had tried to force everybody to a single domain name. I saw a spammer's Cc: list with my user name in both the 'pacbell.net' domain (mine) and the 'nvbell.net' domain (not mine).

What TWC ultimately does with the '*.rr.com' domains will depend, at least in part, on how much they must pay to Warner Bros. in royalties to keep the domains.

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
·Frontier FiberOp..

Racerbob to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Myself and a couple of other members here (that I know about...could have been more) actually messaged management here suggesting that the name be changed since TW had made the decision to not use the Roadrunner name anymore. They certainly did not jump the gun here since the name was changed here months after TW made the decision to drop the Roadrunner name.

I sent this on 11/25/2012...

Hi guy.

Just a thought I had . Time Warner is not using the Roadrunner name or logo anymore for their internet. Maybe it is time to change the name of the Roadrunner Forum to the Time Warner Internet forum and update the logo at the top of the board to the newest Time Warner logo ? (yes, I know that everyone knows the internet service by the name "Roadrunner" , but maybe it is time for this change to happen )

Take care and keep up the good work !

Bob
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
Still seems like jumping the gun to me.

How in the world will TWC EVER change email? The Master account is tied DIRECTLY to BILLING. You cannot use the Master account email address for this reason (well, those who care nothing about privacy can but most of us have never used it...we created SUB email accounts...I have about 7 or 8 now ... and use those). But login (to manage all my RR email accounts) is done by logging into my Master email account. It was ASSIGNED to me when I got RR in 2001 and it shows in the address how many other persons, within this franchise/division, with my surname signed up for RR before I did.

Perhaps, it is different on the Mainland as I know Oceanic TWC does not use the type of billing system that is used on the Mainland (unless they have switched in the past few months).

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Meep meep!

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
A friend of mine has had DSL for years here. His phone territory was PacTel a long time and then became SBC. His e-mail address still ends with SBCglobal.net, although he is now in AT&T territory, as am I. He could get TWC there, but hasn't done that. He has one of the satellite providers for TV.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson to hobgoblin

Premium Member

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

Hob

Seeing as how I'm sure that I am not the only one that has had my @cfl.rr.com email address since 1998 it is going to be a big deal to get every customer on these new server addresses.

StevenB
Premium Member
join:2000-10-27
New York, NY

StevenB to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
I love the RoadRunner! He made Wiley Coyote angry, and use Acme Products!

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
A friend of mine has had DSL for years here. His phone territory was PacTel a long time and then became SBC. His e-mail address still ends with SBCglobal.net, although he is now in AT&T territory, as am I. He could get TWC there, but hasn't done that. He has one of the satellite providers for TV.
Fleeced

Fleeced to Mele20

to Mele20
You do realize that TWC JUST dropped the RR branding? Yes, all the websites related to the email itself are still road runner branded (Because that's going to magically change overnight!), but none of TWC's internet services are RR branded anymore. There is no "Road Runner Turbo" or "Road RUnner Lite". IT's now TWC Lite INternet or TWC Extreme Internet.

Just because the email has yet to shift doesn't mean TWC hasn't rebranded it's services. They have, and switching from rr.com to any new "unified" domain or whatever they're planning on moving to isn't going to be easy nor quick. These forums have NOT jumped the gun on anything.

Transitions are never easy. I know people who still use embarqmail.com even though Centurylink bought them out ages ago. Some people will never change from their .rr.com email addresses years into the future even though TWC won't give them out anymore.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by Fleeced:

Transitions are never easy. I know people who still use embarqmail.com even though Centurylink bought them out ages ago. Some people will never change from their .rr.com email addresses years into the future even though TWC won't give them out anymore.

The 'attbi.com' domain was used for years after Comcast bought AT&T Broadband Internet. But it remained an AT&T property, and was eventually phased out of use by Comcast. Because Warner Bros. still owns the Road Runner, I suspect that, as Comcast was paying AT&T to continue to use 'attbi.com', TWC will be paying Warner Bros. to use '*.rr.com'. At least until TWC phases it out for something like '*.twc .com'.

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Still seems like jumping the gun to me.

How in the world will TWC EVER change email? The Master account is tied DIRECTLY to BILLING. You cannot use the Master account email address for this reason (well, those who care nothing about privacy can but most of us have never used it...we created SUB email accounts...I have about 7 or 8 now ... and use those). But login (to manage all my RR email accounts) is done by logging into my Master email account. It was ASSIGNED to me when I got RR in 2001 and it shows in the address how many other persons, within this franchise/division, with my surname signed up for RR before I did.

Perhaps, it is different on the Mainland as I know Oceanic TWC does not use the type of billing system that is used on the Mainland (unless they have switched in the past few months).

No it isn't. I don't even have a TWC/Comcast/RR email address. My email account listed on my services is my own domain and email address I've used for 12 years.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Mele20

MVM

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

How in the world will TWC EVER change email?

Probably the same way Comcast changed email; 'adelphia.net', 'home.net', 'attbi.com', and even, due to territory swap, '*.rr.com' were all converted to: 'comcast.net'.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to chamberc

Premium Member

to chamberc
"No it isn't. I don't even have a TWC/Comcast/RR email address. My email account listed on my services is my own domain and email address I've used for 12 years."

I would bet you have one somewhere.

Hob
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Fleeced

Premium Member

to Fleeced
said by Fleeced:

You do realize that TWC JUST dropped the RR branding? Yes, all the websites related to the email itself are still road runner branded (Because that's going to magically change overnight!), but none of TWC's internet services are RR branded anymore. There is no "Road Runner Turbo" or "Road RUnner Lite". IT's now TWC Lite INternet or TWC Extreme Internet.

That is not true. Their services are STILL Road Runner. I guess you never access RR Help. I do and it is a still ROAD RUNNER site. Why hasn't that been converted? Taking off the RR logo and changing Help and Member Services to TWC should be easy....but it has not been done. It stiil reflects the Road Runner trademark and the site is "help.rr.com" not "help.twcinternetservices.com" or some else as crappy.

Are you saying that if I go to my account that I won't be able to create a new RR email address? What will it be? We have not been notified that we cannot create any new RR addresses. I now can have 25 email addresses instead the 10 limit when I had standard RR.
TebTeb
join:2009-01-28
Reynoldsburg, OH

1 edit

1 recommendation

TebTeb

Wow... it's the name of a forum/brand; i'ts not the end of the world.. my god
Fleeced

Fleeced to Mele20

to Mele20
Like Hob said. Go to TWC.com and see if you find any sort of RR branding. the ONLY branding for RR you will see relates to their email. The only "road runner" you might see on TWC is a link to rr.com. Everything else is simply TWC Internet.

Of everything that is seen, they are working on branding, again, it's not going to be immediate. They still have to support their roadrunner email addresses. That does NOT mean that they are using that brand anymore. It may be a few years down the line, but TWC no longer calls their INTERNET (Email is not internet) RoadRunner. It is simply Time Warner Cable Internet. So the forum name change is 100% justified.
NightOwl2
join:2012-03-19

NightOwl2 to TebTeb

to TebTeb
Better to vent here than to Customer Service, increasing handle time. I've worked for different cable companies and heard all sorts of complaints. One customer stated the last 4 zip code numbers on the return bill address were incorrect, and persistently requested to speak with highest management to ensure the mailed payment would be received. A very long call.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Fleeced

Premium Member

to Fleeced
said by Fleeced:

Like Hob said. Go to TWC.com and see if you find any sort of RR branding. the ONLY branding for RR you will see relates to their email. The only "road runner" you might see on TWC is a link to rr.com. Everything else is simply TWC Internet.

Oh. Road Runner help is only for email? Wow, I guess all these years I have imagined all the other help that I have found at that site. My...my....my....

You are wrong. TWC is still using Road Runner branding for "help.rr.com" and that site, contrary to what you may think, is NOT about email. It has help for email issues but for a lot of other areas too that have NOTHING to do with email.

Who visits TWC.com? I think I have been there maybe twice in 12 years. When I went was to enroll in the IPv6 trials. I visit Road Runner Help site. Why would I visit TWC site? I visit Oceanic.com but seldom (generally only if clear QAM TV channels change). I visit hawaii.rr.com which redirects to Oceanic's version of Around Town. I still ping hawaii.rr.com on Ping Plotter Pro. I pay my bill at Oceanic's local office.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

As stated a couple of times in this thread, the Time Warner Cable internet service is no longer advertised as Roadrunner. Its not referred to as Roadrunner internally. There are some hangovers the key one being the email domain. I am certain more people a day visit TWC.com that the sites you reference.

Hob