how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NateCohen

join:2005-10-10
Schenectady, NY

Why I'm canceling

This is why I'm canceling Verizon and switching to prepaid T-Mobile.
$30/month for 5GB data, unlimited texting, 100 minutes.

They might not have the best coverage, but where I live it's more than enough with HSPA+.

mech1164
I'll Be Back

join:2001-11-19
Lodi, NJ

I wholeheartedly agree, VZW is barely doing lip service to the new reality. People have finally been forced to DO the math. Guess what WE are cheap. Give us something that saves for us we will come, in droves no doubt. Now though Tmo needs to make a point as to how much you can save. That's the killer point.

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online
reply to NateCohen

I switched to Simple Mobile back in November (T-Mobile MVNO) and couldn't be happier. $50 for all-you-can-eat talk, text, domestic and international text and 4G speeds.

I am considering the same $30 T-Mobile pre-paid plan you're about to get into and simply porting my cell number to Google Voice. I just don't want my number permanently parked with Google in case I change my mind later on.

Anybody know if Google keeps your number forever or can you port it away from Google if you want?

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
kudos:1

You can port numbers from google voice in most cases, however I've heard a lot of stories about the process being a real pain.

anon anon

@charter.com
reply to NateCohen

You do realize their current pricing is $80 for 1 GB. So $70 for 2 GB I would say is an improvement. Also ther is now a lower priced options for people who claim to never use much data. I'm not getting what the issue is?

Oh and good luck with that "unlimited" data from t-mobile. At least Verizon is being upfront. It's 500 MB or 2 GB. T-mobile is flat out lying when they say unlimited. Yeah unlimited 2G speeds. Enjoy the 256 kbps data.

habskilla

join:2005-09-19
Moncton, NB
reply to NateCohen

Do you a link for that? Or is it a grandfathered old plan?
--
»speedtest.net/result/2032867059.png

timtom

join:2012-11-15
reply to anon anon

said by anon anon :

You do realize their current pricing is $80 for 1 GB. So $70 for 2 GB I would say is an improvement. Also ther is now a lower priced options for people who claim to never use much data. I'm not getting what the issue is?

Oh and good luck with that "unlimited" data from t-mobile. At least Verizon is being upfront. It's 500 MB or 2 GB. T-mobile is flat out lying when they say unlimited. Yeah unlimited 2G speeds. Enjoy the 256 kbps data.

I enjoy my 10/5 mbps on Tmobile and it is UNLIMITED.
Just sell your crappy apple phone and you will get good speed

anon anon

@charter.com

said by timtom:

I enjoy my 10/5 mbps on Tmobile and it is UNLIMITED.Just sell your crappy apple phone and you will get good speed

Never owned an Apple product never will. Good luck getting those speeds outside a t-mobile area which is about oh everywhere. And sorry "unlimited" data is NOT unlimited data.

Forsaken77

@optonline.net
reply to anon anon

Do you realize the article states EVDO data, not LTE. So Verizon is giving you REAL 2G with their plan. EVDO is "technically" 3G, but with average speeds between 600kbps-1400kbps, I'd call a spade, a spade. Meaning most users will get around 750kbps. With Tmo & AT&T you get full use of their 4G networks on prepaid. Imo, this is more of a reason not to get VZW's prepaid plans than the price.

timtom

join:2012-11-15
reply to anon anon

said by anon anon :

said by timtom:

I enjoy my 10/5 mbps on Tmobile and it is UNLIMITED.Just sell your crappy apple phone and you will get good speed

Never owned an Apple product never will. Good luck getting those speeds outside a t-mobile area which is about oh everywhere. And sorry "unlimited" data is NOT unlimited data.

Tell me why unlimited data is not unlimited I don't get it.
Unless you live in the middle of nowhere you get ok service form tmobile. It is your choice to pay double for Verizon .

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to NateCohen

said by NateCohen:

This is why I'm canceling Verizon and switching to prepaid T-Mobile.
$30/month for 5GB data, unlimited texting, 100 minutes.

They might not have the best coverage, but where I live it's more than enough with HSPA+.

Wow..exactly. These large companies need to do better than this. $29 for unlimited for me....(after 5GB it does throttle down)
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to timtom

said by timtom:

Tell me why unlimited data is not unlimited I don't get it.
Unless you live in the middle of nowhere you get ok service form tmobile. It is your choice to pay double for Verizon .

Its "unlimited*", not unlimited. Tmo outright states they will throttle you past a certain point, depending on your area. AT&Ts old "unlimited*" plans get throttled at exactly 2GB now, regardless of area. Just because your data amount isnt limited does not mean they can limit your data amount by cutting your speeds to dial-up era speeds. False advertising needs to stop.

tc1uscg

join:2005-03-09
Saint Clair Shores, MI
reply to NateCohen

... and half the price. Always a good thing.