Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dsudot

join:2013-01-23
Guelph, ON

1 edit

PSA: Fibe TV's Multicast data affects personal Wireless AP

I just had Fibe TV installed, and due to the location of the modem install, I much preferred to use my own AP (this issue only arises when using a seperate AP) . When doing so i noticed extreme latency packet loss on my wireless

I isolated the issue to multicast traffic saturating my wireless LAN. This multicast traffic is required for the Bell Fibe service to function.

There are a couple of ways to solve it. I opted to purchase a couple of managed switches that perform igmp snooping (limiting multicast traffic only on the ports where bell receivers are connecting)

See here for more information.

»www.dd-wrt.ca/wiki/index.php/Set···_traffic

Bestman

join:2005-04-05
Quebec, QC

Re: [TV] PSA: Fibe TV's Multicast data affects personal Wireles

Thanks for this. May I ask how you determined (what tools did you use) the source of your problem?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to dsudot
This obviously wasn't a problem back when Bell was using separate PPPoE logins for IPTV, but they had to get rid of that because it would have caused the CRTC to force them to allow wholesalers to offer it.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

dsudot

Guelph, ON
reply to Bestman
First of all my setup.

Bell modem with a single lan connection to my main switch, my main switch is wired to drops all over my house, one goes to a Bell Fibe Receiver, another to my AP, etc. At one location i have another switch that feeds another receiver and my PC network.

My AP was wired into my main switch, upon pinging my wireless AP from a wireless connected device, i saw significant latency and packet loss, and lots of jitter. When I disconnected the uplink from from the modem to my main switch, my packet loss ceased to my AP. I then reconnected and filtered all multicast traffic on the main uplink port on my primary switch. This solved the wireless lan connectivity issue, but ultimately affected the TV. I then removed the filter and enabled IGMP snooping, which filters multicast traffic off all ports except those that go to a Bell receiver, or a switch uplink port.

I ended up putting in two SMB SG200-08 Cisco Switches, at around 100 bucks a piece. But the functionality/features of them, it was definitely worth it.

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

This obviously wasn't a problem back when Bell was using separate PPPoE logins for IPTV, but they had to get rid of that because it would have caused the CRTC to force them to allow wholesalers to offer it.

It's only FTTH that's it not PPPOE for TV.

SpoonyForky

join:2013-01-25
I think iptv on a 7330 is also DHCP.

silentfury

join:2002-06-18
Toronto
reply to dsudot
Hey, I'd be interested in some more detailed instructions as I have this same switch, and maybe some screenies if you wouldn't mind!

Thanks!

dsudot

Guelph, ON
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
These are my current settings, The third image, i didnt modify anything on, it only illustrates the results of the IGMP snooping.

For that specific switch, I would have multicast traffic on ports 1 (uplink port to bell modem) and ports 3/4 as those are the ports the receivers connect on.

zed173

join:2010-07-17
Mississauga, ON
reply to SpoonyForky
said by SpoonyForky:

I can confirm this, it's what I have at home.

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
said by zed173:

said by SpoonyForky:

I can confirm this, it's what I have at home.

Hm, good to know!

foo

@amazonaws.com
reply to dsudot
I've noticed this behaviour on someone else's setup as well - IGMP snooping on the switch does resolve the issue. However, have you tried plugging in the AP directly to the Sagemcom? Normally the 2864 should perform IGMP Snooping itself.