join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

3 edits

1 recommendation

My lovely cat is dying

I took my cat to the vets this morning. What started as a pretty good day, has turned very bad.

What I thought was my cat being constipated, turned out worse. She has kidney failure. Do nothing, and she may live about 3 months. Or treat her, and she may live another year.
I am distraught. She really looks healthy and still plays and runs. She sleeps a lot, but I took that as her just being old. But that is a product of the failing kidneys. She's 17.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

1 recommendation

Re: My lovely cat

Sad to learn this. For me the question is how much pain will she be in.
Then I could make a decision.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
Looking at her, you would never know anything was wrong. She looks good, still plays and jumps. This whole thing was totaly unexpected. At the moment she is okay, but that will change pretty fast apparently. She is at stage 3 of failure. 4 is the worst.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
I am so sorry to hear that DK.

I know that it is a tough decision that you will make. Regardless, you have given your cat a great life, never forget that.
--
Deeds, not words

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat

Re: My lovely cat is dying

I love my cat. She has ben with me for 17 years. It is her time.
I could "keep her going" for a year with medication.
I am choosing not to. I want her to die on her terms, not a medical one.

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-27
Out Grazing
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
So sorry to hear this. Glad to hear that she is still enjoying her time with you.

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Premium,Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
A very tough decision - and a painful one at that.
My heart and thoughts go out to you.
--
Ad astra per alas porci!!

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
said by Dominokat:

I love my cat. She has ben with me for 17 years. It is her time.

I can understand the sentiment. It is a tough decision, but then you have made good decisions for your friend for many years now.
--
Deeds, not words

onDvine
Don't Litter. Spay-Neuter.
Premium
join:2005-01-29
So. CA, USA
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
I'm so sorry Dom. I think you're right: make the most of the quality time you still have and help her go when it's in her best interests. Am sure your vet will advise you.

Our 17-year old has chronic kidney failure (CRF) and so far we've controlled it with prescription food--but she was diagnosed at an early stage. She was diabetic for 9 years, until last September. I make the most of every single minute together. Never know what tomorrow might bring (or take).

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
I'm sorry, Dominokat. Having pets pass away is very painful, and seeing them sick is even worse. When I lost my guinea pig, MaryBell, she died painfully, and it hurt like hell seeing her that way. I am not allowed pets where I am renting, but even if they were, the heartbreak makes me wonder whether I'll ever keep a companion again.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
reply to Dominokat
"Callie" is really doing great. She continues to follow me everywhere (always has) and purrs when I pet her.

After today, and going to the vets, I think she is more aware of her condition and is even more depending on me to help.

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
Sorry Kat.

You have provided her a life, she otherwise would not have had, and I know you care deeply, and she does too.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
sorry to hear this. I am sure the remaining time will be quality time.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

5 recommendations

reply to Dominokat
Click for full size
Callie

BadHat
Hook'M Horns
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Rosa's Place
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
Sorry Kat...

suprleg
Abracadabra
Premium
join:2004-05-06
Cypress, CA
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
Sorry to hear this news, make the most out of the remaining time and always remember the good times you both had.

join:2012-08-06
Buchanan Dam, TX

2 recommendations

reply to Dominokat
I am sorry to hear this, Dominokat. She is lucky to have you as her human.
--
conserve water

Jammy
Premium
join:2000-11-03
Pittsburg, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
said by Dominokat:

I love my cat. She has been with me for 17 years. It is her time.

As another cat owner we both will keep your cat in our prayers. I think I would probably do the same as you. But I would make sure he/she was not in any pain while she finishes out her life and readies herself for the Rainbow Bridge.

Jammy
--
lagh lucharghlu'bogh HuH ghopDu'lIj lungaSjaj

Jammy
Premium
Pittsburg, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
said by Dominokat:

Callie

Callie is a beautiful calico!

Jammy
--
lagh lucharghlu'bogh HuH ghopDu'lIj lungaSjaj

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Jammy
said by Jammy:

said by Dominokat:

I love my cat. She has been with me for 17 years. It is her time.

As another cat owner we both will keep your cat in our prayers. I think I would probably do the same as you. But I would make sure he/she was not in any pain while she finishes out her life and readies herself for the Rainbow Bridge.

Jammy

As I pointed out n my fist post. This diagnoses came as a shock. I just thought she was constipated, as it has happened before and has nearly the same symptoms. (No poop, not eating, groggy..)
She is still going okay. When she isn't sleeping (which she does a lot of now) she still follows me everywhere. Purrs, wants to be petted. About the only thing so far, is her sleeping all the time and not eating a lot.
She is losing weight, not good. But that is part of the condition. She nibbles food. Sometimes she eats a whole serving, but that is way not normal now.
Sometime she will get to the point of not eating at all. Days after she will start getting worse and that is when I will put her down so she won't suffer.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
I'm so sorry to here this. I lost my inspiration for my Avatar (Boog) 2 years ago from kidney failure. He was almost 20. His brother Scooter I lost at 16. My 3rd cat Jaspurr didn't make it past 8. Each were like my children & I miss them greatly. We held onto Scooter too long after he was diagnosed & I regret making him suffer for my lack of strength doing what I know I should have. Boog, we didn't wait until he was in pain. We put him down when he lost too much weight & didn't have the strength to play any more. I didn't want to give him pills to make him hungry. After 2 years, I finally gave in & adopted 2 cats (brothers) who were rescued.
I know it is very hard, but your love for your buddy will guide you.
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by Johkal:

I know it is very hard, but your love for your buddy will guide you.

Thats what I am banking on. I will be able to see in her eyes, or other wise, that she can't or doesn't want to go on.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10

1 recommendation

I believe in that & experienced it with my boys.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 recommendations

reply to Dominokat
I had ZERO warning with my cat Domino (my BBR name sake). He was healthy, but I woke up one morning to him being paralyzed on his back half. Ie: He couldn't walk, couldn't use his tail, etc. That came without warning at all, and I had to put him down.
At least with Callie, I know it is coming and can give extra love and care during her final days.

onDvine
Don't Litter. Spay-Neuter.
Premium
join:2005-01-29
So. CA, USA
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
said by Dominokat:

... I will be able to see in her eyes, or other wise, that she can't or doesn't want to go on.

You will.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME

4 edits

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
I just hope everyone understands my position and not trying to keep her going.
I will provide her with love and affection, warmth and comfort and whatever else I can for her twilight days.

Jammy
Premium
Pittsburg, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
said by Dominokat:

She is losing weight, not good. But that is part of the condition. She nibbles food. Sometimes she eats a whole serving, but that is way not normal now.
Sometime she will get to the point of not eating at all. Days after she will start getting worse and that is when I will put her down so she won't suffer.

There are a few dry cat foods made especially for cats with kidney/urinary tract problems. I feed my cat Pro Plan by Purina. He is still on kittens since he will not be 1 year old until April. It is a bit expensive but it was recommended by PetSmart and his vet. Try feeding her brown rice mixed with chicken or turkey.

Jammy

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat
She is a VERY picky eater. She always has been. But thank you, I will look for something out there and see if she will eat it.

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
Redford, MI
kudos:3
Sorry about your kitten! Most pets are perfect examples of unselfish love, ans that gift is so hard to part with when the time comes. If only we all could be as genuine as the pets we care for!

17 years is a lot of caring and creates a bond that will provide endless memories, but good byes are rough. If they are in endless pain, I don't feel its cruel to bring them peace.

The pic of her is beautiful. Give her a hug.
--

Jim, VoIP 12/2002, VOIPo 2/2007
FAH-Tool~Pets~Artist-247

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME

2 recommendations

reply to Dominokat
I just caught Callie playing quite vigorously with her toys. Made me so happy to see some energy from her.