how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

WFE

join:2013-01-03
Sterling Heights, MI

Prices going up

Just got a letter in the mail today that my bundle is going up $5 per month and also there will be a Broadcast TV Surcharge of $3 taking place in March. Ouch. $8 per month all at one time!

LordKronos

join:2002-01-02
Dearborn Heights, MI

I get it. Prices are going up. It happens everywhere and is inevitable. OK. But WTH is with separating out the $5 and the $3. So the $3 is for Broadcast TV surcharge, but are you telling me that none of that $5 increase is due to increase in the cost of programming? The letter went on at some length about how much programming costs are increasing. I took it to mean that the $5 has to do with that too.

It seems to me breaking it apart is quite dishonest and a way to skirt the issue. And since it's being listed as a surcharge, I'm wondering...is this $3 fee going to be included in the package price, or is it going to be a separate surcharge they tack on so they can advertise a lower price? The wording in the letter seems to suggest that. If so, then why don't they just list the entire cost of all programming as a surcharge. Then they can say their service is only $20/month and then in fine print list the $50 programming surcharge.

aes128

join:2003-12-19
Saint Clair Shores, MI

It seems Charter did this a few years ago so others have done it. This is from UVerse:

Beginning with the February 2013 bill invoices, there will be a separate Broadcast TV Surcharge of up to $1.99 per month. This surcharge is to recover a portion of the amount local broadcasters charge AT&T to carry their channels.

Seems this will NOT be part of the package price but more like a tax say as your cell company charges.

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI
reply to WFE

Isn't this just a way to charge more when you have a fixed plan for x many number of months?

phubar

@wideopenwest.com
reply to LordKronos

It's total bull$hit that these broadcast stations are allowed to charge cablecos for the same programming they are broadcasting over the air. This combined with the robbery being performed by outfits like ESPN, etc are the reasons for the price increases period!

Body Count

join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
reply to WFE

I never received that letter yet. In fact since switching to UltraTV, it says on my billing statement that my prices are guaranteed until 2014. So I'll be surprised if mine go up.

Iisijn

@wideopenwest.com

Your price is garunteed, not taxes and surcharges. That word means you will be effected.

pparks1

join:2002-01-01
Westland, MI
reply to WFE

Yeah, I'm not terribly excited about this price increase either. Especially with the abysmal customer service that everybody has been experiencing.

It just so happens that I got a comcast promo envelope in the mail today as well. It came with the WOW letter. That's almost hard to believe, but it is true.

Body Count

Columbus, OH
reply to Iisijn

said by Iisijn :

Your price is garunteed, not taxes and surcharges. That word means you will be effected.

Well I might see the $3 tax increase.. but I hope I don't see the $5 programming increase or their guarantee means nothing.

And for all I know I might not even see the tax increase. Taxes seem to be localized or even state based. The OP is from Michigan.. I'm in Ohio. So I might not see the increase at all.

gene32

join:2004-05-03
Reynoldsburg, OH
reply to WFE

This will give me more reason to dump the cable/DVR and just subscribe to the internet service. Guess I'll be partially cutting the cord. If WOW's service has been rock solid, I could maybe see this but man, their service has gone to sh*t lately. I don't think I want to pay a dime more for the same crap quality.

clocks11

join:2002-05-06
reply to WFE

If they raise my prices anymore, I'm dropping TV.

aes128

join:2003-12-19
Saint Clair Shores, MI

said by clocks11:

Depending on what TV package you have, I am not sure you save much. I have 30/3 Internet and only Basic cable (I have Netflix, etc. and little use for TV). I looked into dropping Basic and I saved maybe $20, perhaps less. I guess if I put up an antenna I would drop Basic but still Basic seems worth $20/month.

WOW Internet has been "rock solid" for me for years unlike some here. I have had my own MODEM for over 2 years now and it has paid for itself. Mototola SB6120 and I mostly always get 30/3. No fancy "Ultra stuff" so all works just fine. Both TVs have QAM tuners which are also just fine. For what I need, WOW is better than the alternative.

clocks11

join:2002-05-06
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by aes128:

said by clocks11:

Depending on what TV package you have, I am not sure you save much. I have 30/3 Internet and only Basic cable (I have Netflix, etc. and little use for TV). I looked into dropping Basic and I saved maybe $20, perhaps less. I guess if I put up an antenna I would drop Basic but still Basic seems worth $20/month.

Ok, lets saying I'm paying $20 for cable tv. If they add $8/month, that is about $360 per year after you add taxes to the $28per month. I'll take the savings, especially since when you factor my DVR, and other stuff, I am paying more than $20 per month.

Body Count

Columbus, OH
reply to WFE

Still nothing in Ohio. Just got my monthly bill today and there's nothing in there about prices going up.

juryman

join:2007-12-08
North Royalton, OH
reply to WFE

I recieved the price increase letter. Dont fool yourself. The prices are going up in Ohio. WOW is starting to inch its way closer to TW & ATT prices, and dont provide the channel selection that the others do, in my opinion. I see deals for TW in the mail all the time. Looks like I will be taking a serious look.

Body Count

Columbus, OH

said by juryman:

I recieved the price increase letter. Dont fool yourself. The prices are going up in Ohio. WOW is starting to inch its way closer to TW & ATT prices, and dont provide the channel selection that the others do, in my opinion. I see deals for TW in the mail all the time. Looks like I will be taking a serious look.

Taxes going up is one thing as WOW! has no control over that. I would be seriously disappointed if my rate went up since I have the 2014 price guarantee in place.

garnuts

join:2012-02-03
Columbus, OH

I'm in Columbus, and received the price increase letter dated Jan 25.

Broadcast TV Surcharge of $4.00 a month beginning March 2013. ($1.00 more than OP ?)

HD DVR Reciever was $9.99, going to $13.00
HD Receiver was $4.99, going to $5.00

For 8 years I was very happy with WOW, until the last year. I'm not quite ready to switch yet, but I'm getting closer.

slyphoxj

join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·WOW Internet and..
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric
reply to WFE

I got the price increase letter also. I've got an offer from Time Warner for a $89.99 bundle deal with a $200 prepaid Visa card... getting pretty close to just taking it and heading down to the WOW office with the 3 boxes ready to pay my final WOW bill.,

Body Count

Columbus, OH
reply to WFE

If you do a google search on cable fees going up and limit it to websites updating the last week.. you'll see Time Warner and Insight are also going up in prices the same as WOW! I think AT&T is also.

Doing more searching around.. I found this article which could be the reason why:

»www.nytimes.com/2013/01/26/busin···ss&_r=1&

So go ahead and switch. You'll be paying more for the same service with the other providers.

Body Count

Columbus, OH
reply to WFE

Click for full size
My Bill that just came today

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY
reply to slyphoxj

said by slyphoxj:

I got the price increase letter also. I've got an offer from Time Warner for a $89.99 bundle deal with a $200 prepaid Visa card... getting pretty close to just taking it and heading down to the WOW office with the 3 boxes ready to pay my final WOW bill.,

Read the terms carefully. TWC in our market now bundles only 3Mbps broadband service with the $89 offer and those prices do not include equipment fees, which really add up. That double play TV/broadband deal at $89 comes out to $125 when you factor in equipment fees, taxes, and other surcharges, assuming one DVR box and company-owned cable modem running 15/1 or 20/2 speeds.
--
Phillip M. Dampier
Editor, Stop the Cap!
»stopthecap.com

Jim Kirk
Premium
join:2005-12-09
reply to WFE

I'd rather they put sports on its own tier so those of us who don't watch it wouldn't have to pay the ridiculous amount it costs each month (ESPN especially).

grantsa4

join:2007-08-15
Naperville, IL

Never gonna happen. But I'd be fine with it, if it did

robwow24

join:2004-07-04
Columbus, OH
reply to WFE

My letter from WOW said $4 for broadcasting TV surcharge. WTF?!

robwow24

join:2004-07-04
Columbus, OH
reply to Jim Kirk

Agreed. ESPN (which owned by ABC/Disney) are bilking viewers with too much money. Ever wonder why Disney videos cost more at retail?

timropp

join:2013-01-23
Columbus, OH
reply to WFE

Yep, plan to drop cable and go just internet. the ONLY thing we watch live tv for is Once Upon a Time (wife is ADDICTED to that show) and sometimes kids stuff when they're home sick or something. OUaT is on ABC and I could pick that up with an antenna. Everything else, there's netflix or amazon prime or the mountains of movies we've got on our HTPC. So yep, save $28 a month or so dropping cable and add on $8 for netflix (already have Amazon prime, but *might* get netflix too) and we'll save a couple hundred bucks a year.

Body Count

Columbus, OH
reply to WFE

It's been what.. two months since this thread was posted?

My prices still the same. Never went up

When my guarantee runs out in 2014, I'm sure my prices will jump up big time. Hopefully one phone call will lower them back down to current levels or else I'd have to invest in a house antenna and go over the air... and maybe Hulu Plus so I can get all my shows still.

grantsa4

join:2007-08-15
Naperville, IL

I have been able to call every year and keep my price the same, other than these sorts of increases, which did jump my bill by $10

slyphoxj

join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·WOW Internet and..
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric
reply to Body Count

said by Body Count:

It's been what.. two months since this thread was posted?

My prices still the same. Never went up

When my guarantee runs out in 2014, I'm sure my prices will jump up big time. Hopefully one phone call will lower them back down to current levels or else I'd have to invest in a house antenna and go over the air... and maybe Hulu Plus so I can get all my shows still.

Lucky you. My bundle price went up $5 (Digital TV Basic + 15/2 internet is now $90 on my bill, up from $84.99 the previous bill). And there's also a lovely new $3 Broadcast TV Surcharge shown in the section with the HD box charges. And my 1 year $10 discount expired back in October, but I never bothered to call because of the insane customer service hold times back in November through January (figured I'd save myself the frustration based on what was reported here in this forum). My bill has gone up $19 since October . My mom did get a one-time $30 credit when she called in to complain about the HD channels going out about a month or so ago.

We've had WOW since September 2011... I thought the bundle price was supposed to be guaranteed through January 2014?

I disconnected the HD box on the basement TV and am going to return it tomorrow morning to save $7/month... that TV isn't used very much.

I also checked Time Warner last night... their price is about the same as what we pay to WOW for the same level of services and equipment.

I'd go OTA, but my mom watches CNN, CNNHN, truTV, Animal Planet quite a bit (I don't think she'd mind losing Animal Planet though) and a few others... not sure if there are any acceptable substitutes for those on the Internet.

south1178
Premium
join:2001-12-17
Cleveland, OH

Rates are only guaranteed for 2 years, not 3.

With the pixelation issues I keep seeing, I'm ready to drop tv and go OTA and use Hulu or Netflix for the tv shows missed.