Search similar:

uniqs

SpAnubis
@verizon.net

SpAnubis

Anon

DSL/Router-Modem connectivity issues.

Hello,

I've recently encountered issues with my Verizon DSL connectivity and modem/router setup. This led me to purchase a brandnew ADSL router/modem, I'll attempt to simplify my problem best as possible.
The current router/modem is a Actiontec GT704-WG-B. I noticed a slow down in connectivity and a lack of use with the router's functionality in regards to settings. I.g. ports no longer opened and HTTP port 80 being constantly open. The DHCP would not give out unique dynamic IP's either. All pc's/devices connected have the same wanIP address, which I found odd. Anyway, I decided to just make a new router/modem purchase. Bought the TP-Link, TD-W8960N, hooking up the router/modem was relatively easy. Encountered a nasty snag though. The router recognizes that there is wireless and wanip connectivity; however it is unable to acquire a wanip address. I did contact Verizon customer service, asking them to dump the "ip lease" and give me a new one. Figured that might be the issue, no go after the release the router/modem was still unable to pick-up the wanip address. Unsure if it's unable to grab a DNS address or what. Also, I had Verizon send me a new Actiontec router/modem. I was curious to see if the router I purchased was bad. The same exact issue occurs with the newly sent Verizon Actiontec router/modem. It recognizes connectivity but is unable to obtain a wanip address.

I'd like to attempt some more troubleshooting, before contacting Verizon, once again and having the phone company, check the lines out here. I feel like that may be the issues. Any and all advance is welcomed, thank you.

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

Did you release the wan ip address obtained by the actiontec before connecting the tplink?

SpAnubis
@verizon.net

SpAnubis

Anon

Yes, I had the wan IP address released. Requested it from Verizon tech support. That did not work, I'm assuming it should have. Based on the information provided with the TP-link.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

The actiontec will you to release the public ip address from within the actiontec gui.

I would release the public ip address from within the actiontec's gui and also make sure the actiontec is not allocated another or the same public ip before disconnecting the actiontec from the dsl wire pair.

dragonflyer
@verizon.net

dragonflyer to SpAnubis

Anon

to SpAnubis
»Verizon DSL FAQ »How to activate without using VZ installation CD?
I have same modem router and have had similar issues as well. See if this link may help you troubleshoot yours? Good luck!

SpAnubis
@verizon.net

SpAnubis to wayjac

Anon

to wayjac
@ wayjac

From my understanding, of how the Actiontec routers ip release functions. You type in a allotted time for the release, and it "should" process through. There's no manual release button within the routers GUI. Why, I called up Verizon tech and requested them to break the IP lease and then renew the address. I'll do some more research. I may be overlooking a setting. Thank you for the advice.

@ dragonflyer

I can give the activation protocol a try, why not right? Will respond back to you both shortly.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by SpAnubis :

From my understanding, of how the Actiontec routers ip release functions. You type in a allotted time for the release, and it "should" process through. There's no manual release button within the routers GUI.

The isp has complete control of the wan dhcp configuration.
Most modems allow the public ip address lease to expire on demand

SpAnubis
@verizon.net

SpAnubis

Anon

Apologies for the late reply. I conducted more research on the Actiontec router, there's no on demand release for the public ip address. There's a timed release in seconds, however it will not release and renew the public ip address. No idea, why this specific router/modem doesn't have a release. I can turn off the DHCP, wait for 12 to 24 hours, see if that will release the MAC. By the way, I noticed while the TP-link router/modem is connect, it is sending and receiving packets. I suspect it is a phone-line issue, going to contact verizon and see if a tech will come out give the lines a look.

PS: There's no internet access when the TP-link router/modem is active and plugged in, so attempting the verizon dsl website wont work.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by SpAnubis :

I conducted more research on the Actiontec router, there's no on demand release for the public ip address.

The manual shows a on demand connect/disconnect button for the public ip address

said by SpAnubis :

There's a timed release in seconds, however it will not release and renew the public ip address.

This timed release is for the lan dhcp server only.
The modem has a lan dhcp server and a wan dhcp client.

SpAnubis
@verizon.net

SpAnubis

Anon

Surprised, I overlooked this! Thank you for all your help. I disconnected the public ip address from the Actiontec router, and connected the TP-Link, following instructions their tech support offered. The TP-Link is working, I'm able to connect via lan and wireless with internet connectivity. The connection isn't dropping, so all good for now.

I did notice the TP-link TD-W8960N doesn't have a on-demand release button within the web gui, just wanted to cover all my bases. In the instance, I had to disconnect the public IP address through the TP-link.

Thank you for all your help! It was much appreicated.