spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ZAT9

join:2003-12-06

hitron usb port

Called customer service and they said they aren't enabling the port any more!!! Is this true or was this laziness?

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

1 edit

Sounds like BS to me. The USB port control would be integrated in the firmware. Nothing to do with Rogers.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to ZAT9

The OP's post is a bit vague as to what he called and asked about.

Though theoretically , Rogers could push out a firmware update to the Hitron modems disabling the AP. Though I've only seen Bell use customized firmwares disabling features. Haven't used Hitron modem, most recent Rogers modem I've used in years is the SMC modem/router.

ZAT9

reply to ZAT9

The stock modem has a usb port for sharing on network but it disabled. No option for it in firmware. Although the help section in the modem interface does mention it.

Mazeerango

@utoronto.ca

my usb works, i called in and someone turned it on for me

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

1 edit

said by Mazeerango :

my usb works, i called in and someone turned it on for me

Router USBs are used for network storage. If Rogers has modified the Hitron firmware to the point they can control the USB port then your personal data has zero security from Rogers prying eyes.

I'd be taking that Hitron and throwing it in the trash pronto. Rogers will have the ability to steal any and all personal data contained on your private network. This is how identity theft happens. Unsecured home networks.

Rogers has reached another all time low..........

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1

Rogers can do that with any cable modem you hook up to their network. It's why you can't upgrade the firmware yourself on cable modems.

Rogers can remote and reset your modem, change the firmware, settings, etc.

ZAT9

reply to Mazeerango

How long ago was this?

cjpcoolguy

join:2012-11-20
reply to ZAT9

With their MSO admin login, they have the admin rights within the firmware to turn it on. You just need to find someone who can help you. It may take a few calls because most frontline agents don't know what you're talking about...

As well as they have the USB port disabled for obvious security reasons. IE. Uploading a custom firmware to the modem to over-ride the settings they have in place.

White fish

@rogers.com
reply to ZAT9

I just tryed to plug in a flash drive in to this port and nothing

I think it would be kind of nice to have my own NAS or cloud

so just a phone call to rogers to get the usb turned on?

I would only put music an videos on a 1tb external (so my identity should be as safe as it was before)
I shoud be able to acess the threw wifi correct (if it get it turned on by rogers)
could I acess it the internet exploer awell?

White fish

@rogers.com

So I called Rogers the tech see a few extra thing in the setting that I dont
he said that usb was un-checked and now he has checked it for me
But now what I dont see it on my network
I thought it might show of there

White fish

@198.96.187.x

So when I go to the LAN/WAN tab on the modem settings
its goes to "can not find web page"

Im using IE9