uniqs
share rss forum feed

hussle87
Premium
join:2008-01-06
Sykesville, MD

IPV6

Question I use open dns and I have a ipv6 capable modem and router
Is there anything I need to do since I am not using comcast dns servers?

voiptalk

join:2010-04-10
Gainesville, VA

No. But be aware that the OpenDNS IPv6 servers do not currently provide any of the web filtering or security features of their IPv4 DNS services.

»www.opendns.com/support/article/84

You do have the option (if your router has the configuration options) of not using any IPv6 DNS servers and only use the OpenDNS IPv4 servers that will provide the AAAA records of IPv6 sites.

hussle87
Premium
Sykesville, MD
reply to hussle87

Anyone from comcast know when my area will get ipv6 turned on?

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:79

said by hussle87:

Send me your cable modem mac address or your public IPv4 address I will check on it for you.

hussle87
Premium
Sykesville, MD

Check your mail message box I sent it.

MisterP

join:2012-10-11
US
reply to NetDog

What if it switches back between ipv4 and 6? I've seen that some days when I put in "whats my ip" to google it sends back an ipv6 address but today I did it and its ipv4. I thought once your area or ISP switched you didnt go back.

catnapped

join:2010-11-22
Elizabethtown, PA

I was wondering that too. Had IPV6 working on my Tomato/6120 setup last week then find today that it was broken again. Bunch of reboots and some settings modification (eventually ending back to what it originally was anyway) and its back again.

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
reply to MisterP

said by MisterP:

What if it switches back between ipv4 and 6? I've seen that some days when I put in "whats my ip" to google it sends back an ipv6 address but today I did it and its ipv4. I thought once your area or ISP switched you didnt go back.

Your correct, but you should have what we call Dual-Stack so both an IPv4 address and an IPv6 address. Check your ipconfig and make sure you have both.

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
reply to hussle87

Ok once we have IPv6 setup on the CMTS that services your area you should be good to go.. With that said the only thing I can think of that could happen would be if we had a "node move" and moved your node to a new CMTS. But that shouldn't be an issue because if your in a head-end that supports IPv6 you shouldn't move on to a CMTS that doesn't support it.

Bottom line, to know a 100% send me your cable modem mac or Public IPv4 address and I will check that CMTS that is servicing your service.

I hope that helps, really the bottom line whatever I can do to make the transition smoother is what I am looking for...

MisterP

US
reply to NetDog

Sent you my IP... Don't h4x me plzkthxbai

hussle87
Premium
Sykesville, MD
reply to hussle87

I found this page on ipv6 on opendns website. Is this what I set it to on my router. and how do I get it to resolve both ipv6 and ipv4 addresses?
»www.opendns.com/technology/ipv6/

MisterP

US
reply to NetDog

NetDog I sent you my IPs, were you able to find out anything on the CMTS?

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
reply to hussle87

said by hussle87:

Question I use open dns and I have a ipv6 capable modem and router
Is there anything I need to do since I am not using comcast dns servers?

said by hussle87:

said by hussle87:

I found this page on ipv6 on opendns website. Is this what I set it to on my router. and how do I get it to resolve both ipv6 and ipv4 addresses?

I think that you need to start this thread over and tell us if you are having a general problem getting IPv6 to work, or if you are just having problems with OpenDNS.

In other words, does IPv6 work if for you if you just use the Comcast DHCP supplied DNS servers? Once everyone knows exactly what your problem is, then we can work on a solution.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

voiptalk

join:2010-04-10
Gainesville, VA
reply to hussle87

said by hussle87:

You can use them. Please read and my previous post that those are name resolution only and do not provide the features that the OPenDNS IPv4 servers use. That's important to understand.

On a general note, as I already mentioned, a DNS server with an IPv4 address (ex: 8.8.8.8 or 208.67.222.222) will give you the AAAA records (the IPv6 address) if available.

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
reply to hussle87

The Comcast IPv6 anycast DNS servers are 2001:558:feed::1 or 2001:558:feed::2