how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

magdoll

join:2013-01-29
Chicago, IL

[Connectivity] DPC 3010 firmware swap

I moved down the block and it turns out only comcast is available in this building. I had perfect service with RCN, never even had to reboot the modem, I was amazed.

So when I was switching to comcast, I wanted to be sure to get the same modem, because I was so impressed by it.

I bought a used DPC3010 off of Amazon, and tried to power it on and it doesn't sync correctly. I checked the modem status page and it appears to have some COX firmware flashed to it and will only try channel 1 with an amber DS light on the front of the modem. It fails to activate on activate.comcast.com it will go through a few account info pages, but will not finish. Here is the status page:

About
Model: Cisco DPC3010
Vendor: Cisco
Hardware Revision: 1.0
MAC Address: ############
Bootloader Revision: 2.3.0_R1
Current Software Revision: DPC3010-v302r12901-110516a-COX
Firmware Name: dpc3010-v302r12901-110516a-COX.bin
Firmware Build Time: May 16 2011 17:09:15
Cable Modem Status: Scanning

Downstream Channels
Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1: 12.8 dBmV 38.4 dB
Channel 2: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 3: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 5: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 6: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 7: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 8: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB

Upstream Channels
Power Level:
Channel 1: 37.7 dBmV
Channel 2: 0.0 dBmV
Channel 3: 0.0 dBmV
Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV

I still have my RCN DPC3010 so I thought I would give it a shot, and it seems to have connected perfectly note the firmware difference and it using all channels: (I didn't try to activate it because I have to send it back)

About
Model: Cisco DPC3010
Vendor: Cisco
Hardware Revision: 1.0
MAC Address: ############
Bootloader Revision: 2.3.0_R1
Current Software Revision: d3000-v302r125553-120411a
Firmware Name: d3000-v302r125553-120411a.bin
Firmware Build Time: 2012+4+19+0+17+3+5
Cable Modem Status: Operational
Wireless Network:

Cable Modem State
DOCSIS Downstream Scanning: Completed
DOCSIS Ranging: Completed
DOCSIS DHCP: Completed
DOCSIS TFTP: Completed
DOCSIS Data Reg Complete: Completed
DOCSIS Privacy: Enabled

Downstream Channels
Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1: 12.5 dBmV 38.3 dB
Channel 2: 13.7 dBmV 38.7 dB
Channel 3: 14.3 dBmV 38.9 dB
Channel 4: 13.7 dBmV 38.6 dB
Channel 5: 14.4 dBmV 38.8 dB
Channel 6: 15.0 dBmV 38.6 dB
Channel 7: 15.0 dBmV 39.0 dB
Channel 8: 15.6 dBmV 38.9 dB

Upstream Channels
Power Level:
Channel 1: 37.2 dBmV
Channel 2: 37.7 dBmV
Channel 3: 37.1 dBmV
Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV

So, does anyone know how to get the d3000-v302r125553-120411a.bin firmware onto my new modem? The only thing I can think of is taking back to my old place (I still have it for 2 more days!) connecting it there and asking RCN to push it to it..?

[I know this isn't a comcast approved modem, but I am 100% sure it will work]

Ripper
Premium
join:2002-02-07
West Palm Beach, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

Two things going against it working, it's not a Comcast approved modem, »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ and it's used. Also new firmware would load automatically at boot, if it was a approved Comcast modem,

AnonMan

@comcast.net

DPC3010 is the same as the CC approved DPC3008 except it has a USB port.

They also use the exact same firmware.

That said some modems won't activate via walled garden.

Call CC or use the direct forum. Tell them it's a DPC3008 if you feel the need, again they use the exact same firmware and hardware, just the 3010 has the USB header connected and 3008 doesn't.

The firmware will flash after it's authorized on the network. You may also try a factory reset on it via the reset button. If you still can't get it work just return it to Amazon. Get the DPC3008, which again, is the same modem so you should have same luck as you did on the old one.

I also use the DPC3008 fwiw, 0 issues.

magdoll

Chicago, IL

I took it over to my old place and right after it synced, all the lights started flashing and it restarted, I logged in and sure enough RCN had already pushed their firmware to it (bye bye cox!), I didn't even have to call them. I'll try to activate it again tonight with RCN firmware and will report back with my findings.

AnonMan

@comcast.net

Yeah, some providers authorize firmware updates on any connected device, others only on authorized. Comcast in your area probably only on authorized because even that RCN firmware will go bye bye once activated.

Your final FW should be:
d3000-v302r125532-120517a-L2VPN-CMCST.bin

That said, the online activation will probably likely fail still as it will be an unknown modem resulting in you calling or getting level 2 support to add it. You can play this two ways, play dumb saying it is an 3008 which is the official supported model (though they are the same basically) or be honest and they may still help as they can override the model info. Really depends who you get :P

catnapped

join:2010-11-22
Elizabethtown, PA
reply to magdoll

If they can get the 3008 firmware to stick will it from then on be a 3008 (and get any updates for that model) or would there be the chance it'll 'break' later on if there's another update?

AnonMan

@comcast.net

It should stick per say because they are force telling the system that modem is that model otherwise it would never have sent any FW.

fattie

@comcast.net

said by AnonMan :

It should stick per say because they are force telling the system that modem is that model otherwise it would never have sent any FW.

You sir, don't understand how it all works. There is no "telling" the system. When you give the MAC to the agent on the phone they enter it into GrandSlam. GrandSlam liases with other tools(BACC, etc.), your modem identifies itself and once a corresponding bootfile is found it pushes it through to your modem. If a corresponding bootfile cannot be found, that agent gets an error that tells them that there's a back end error and they can go no further. Their next step, after getting that error is for them to escalate it to a team that has BACC access and try to FORCE the bootfile on it, however, if that modem's not on the list, they'll close that ticket and may or may not call you and tell you.

Save yourself some time, just buy a new modem. Stop trying to "beat the system".

magdoll

Chicago, IL
reply to magdoll

So, it took a week. But I beat the system.

I attempted to self-install and unfortunately it failed.

So I call them up on Tuesday January 29th and exactly as fattie said, they tried a few different ways to provision my used, originally COX, but now loaded with RCN's firmware modem but were ultimately unsuccessful. I did identify the modem to them as a DPC3008 but gave them the correct MAC and S/N. That person elevated the ticket to Tier 2 and said they would be contacting me within 72 hours.

Friday I called them back because no one had contacted me, this person assured me Tier 2 was unnecessary, he could fix my problem. After a half hour on the phone, he was unable to free the modem from the walled garden and said Tier 2 would be in contact with me but on average it takes about 48 hours.

So, last night, I decide to try chat this time. Just simply posing the question "When Tier 2 contact me? It has been a week." This person identified the bootfile on the modem as being incorrrect. He asked me to hold the reset button on the back of the modem to reset it so the bootfile could get pushed to it. I did and finally I had a working DPC3010 on Comcast's network.

As of right now, it's still running RCN's d3000-v302r125553-120411a.bin Will that change? I don't know... Honestly at this point I am just happy to have service.