uniqs
share rss forum feed

k9iua6

join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA
kudos:1

1 edit

[Cable HSI] CMTS channel moving and DOCSIS 1.1 and 2 modems

I have an old Linksys DOCSIS 1.1 modem that we still use to connect to our Intro 3 mb internet. Speedwise the modem can normally keep up for what my wife and I do with the internet, but when my daughter or son stream Netflix, it halts about every 10 minutes or so and we need to re-power the modem to get it back. This started last summer or so. I suspect the CMTS is telling the modem to go to new channels for balancing, and the modem is unable to handle the switch. I vaguely recall a thread here that mentioned this regarding DOCSIS 1.1, but can't immediately find it (probably because it was part of a different thread). Or it could be the modem just gets overwhelmed and out-of-sync and shutdowns.

Are DOCSIS 2 modems any better at handling this? I have a Linksys CM100 I could put online (which is a modem I was left with a few years back from my other son that I have been just keeping as a spare for when the old BEFCMU10 dies).

I'd love to be able to buy a newer DOCSIS 3 modem, but our finances don't permit it at the moment, yet I would love also to stop my daughter from complaining and having to constantly restart the cable modem. Will the CM100 improve things?

ADDED: I already know that the Linksys BEFCMU10, and probably the CM100, are considered old modems and ideally should be replaced. But reread the first sentence of paragraph 3.

Lazy Senior

join:2012-01-10
Cobden, IL

3 edits
3mbps internet is marginal for Netflix,

Lazy Senior

join:2012-01-10
Cobden, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to k9iua6
3 mbps internet is marginal for Netflix. I had DSL 3mbps internet before getting Mediacom. Netflix streaming was not very good. Make sure you are not trying to stream a HD video. HD requires at least 5mbps speed. Check your Video Quality settings on Netflix. Put them as low as possible.

As a Netflix fan, one of the reasons I am now a Mediacom customer is because the DSL 3mbps speed was not cutting it.

I am on 12/1 mbps service with Mediacom and have no more problems with Netflix. Since you already own a Docsis 2.0 modem I would give it a try. Certainly if you are going to spend $$ on a new modem get a Doc 3.0 modem.

SHoTTa35

@munival.com
reply to k9iua6
That's a D1.1 modem also.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···25122011

That should be within price ranges - i mean $50? Then again you can find those on eBay for like $15 or something too, just gotta be careful when buying them used as they might already be banned.

Try Amazon if that's better at $13.99

»www.amazon.com/Motorola-Surfboar···s=sb5100

k9iua6

Dubuque, IA
reply to k9iua6
Update: I went ahead after work and just swapped the somewhat newer CM100 modem for the old BEFCMU10. The actual steps through the walled garden went fine by directly connecting the computer to the modem, although I had trouble later having my router connect up afterwards. Eventually I got it them all to sync up after several power restarts and connect our home network to the internet.

Now I need to wait and see if my daughter still reports lockups while streaming.

(LazySenior: Yes we know that 3 mbps is pretty marginal for Netflix, but it does still work. It is what we can afford right now. At least my kids (20-somethings, so not young kids) haven't complained about excessive buffering or lowered quality on their various devices. The modem lockup was/is our primary problem.)

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
reply to k9iua6
3mbps is fine for netflix, as long as your connection is solid. You wouldn't want to be streaming any other video sources at the same time or do anything else bandwidth intensive, but it will work just time. You won't get "HD" video however.

My guess, you have borderline signal or the modem is failing.

elios

join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO
reply to k9iua6
might of been my thread but yes older modems have issues with the the headend/node requests a channel switch
if your renting a modem send a PM to one of the mediacom guys here they will get you hooked up
we got ours updated to a DOCSIS3.0 and made a world of difference
but then we have 20/2

if you have a few kids that are using netflix a lot might be worth down grading your cable package and getting faster net

there are 3 of us here and we have friends over from time to time and are all heavy uses 20/2 is even tight some times but we dont really have the money go get 50 or 100 which we would love to have

kb0nly

join:2003-07-25
Tyler, MN
Reviews:
·Mediacom
You can rent a modem for $5 a month and get a newer DOCSIS 2.0, or depending on supply and your area they might even toss you a newer DOCSIS 3.0, but with the rental cost your spending $60 a year to use it, the advantage to renting is any failure is a one phone call replacement and not out of pocket expense. If you want to own you can get them for about $40-$60 off eBay. I have bought a few SB6180's from a company down in Kansas now, good quality, fast shipment, work right out of the box. I had one that was acting funky i sent them an email they shipped a replacement.

The Cisco DPC3008 and DPC3010 are popular choices as well. The DPC3008 can be had for around $40 online.

elios

join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO
you pay the 5 bucks now weather you rent or not
this was changed a few years ago

k9iua6

Dubuque, IA
reply to k9iua6
So far the only issue I've run into with my modem swap is that right now I can't access 192.168.100.1 for a modem status when I have things connected through the router, whereas I could when I first enabled the modem by directly connecting a computer. It worked before with the same router and the previous modem. I wonder if the downloaded default configuration for the Cisco CM100 from Mediacom disables this IP. I will do some more testing later today.

Elios: No, you don't need to pay the $5/month if you own the modem and deal directly with your local office. That fee still can be turned off.

kb0nly: Yes I know that one can buy used modems fairly cheap. That may be a future step, but why spend extra money now if I have a replacement modem that might do that job, especially at our 3 mbps Intro/Launch/Lite service. The CM100 is a D2 modem, despite what an earlier reply indicated.

kb0nly

Tyler, MN
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to elios
Correct, you do NOT pay the modem rental if you work with them to get it off your account. Usually this requires dropping off the modem at a local office, make sure you get a slip for proof that it was returned, or you request a box to ship it back. Then your free to use your own modem at no additional cost.

I looked up the Cisco CM100, i see no problem using that for your tier, its a DOCSIS 2.0 compliant modem. However, i was merely pointing out that if you have D3 availability in your area that even at your tier channel bonding with a D3 modem will be an improvement and you will get more of what you pay for. Streaming those movies will even work better at 3mbps when your not congesting a single channel downstream.

I know customers here on the intro package that bought a Surfboard modem at the local Wal-Mart, its a SB6121, they didnt want to pay modem rental i guess, but the point is it even makes their service much faster and more responsive.

k9iua6

Dubuque, IA
reply to k9iua6
said by k9iua6:

So far the only issue I've run into with my modem swap is that right now I can't access 192.168.100.1 for a modem status when I have things connected through the router, whereas I could when I first enabled the modem by directly connecting a computer. It worked before with the same router and the previous modem. I wonder if the downloaded default configuration for the Cisco CM100 from Mediacom disables this IP. I will do some more testing later today.

I just restarted both the cable modem and the router. Now I can get to the cable modem status pages at 192.168.100.1 like I used to, so the two devices just must have been in an unstable state.

I notice with the new configuration and now running D2 protocols that my download symbol rate is different that it was under D1.1. And now when I run speedtests, I actually get to see "speed boost" in action, which I never observed with the previous cable modem. So overall I am impressed with the results from this modest modem swap. I didn't realize for how long I might have been suffering from either a failing or inferior modem setup.

ADDED: I just noticed, looking at the modem status page again, that it is now definitely reporting a different software version than it did yesterday, so I'm guessing my restart just now activated new firmware that Mediacom's system had downloaded, which hadn't been running earlier.

kb0nly

Tyler, MN
Reviews:
·Mediacom
Sometimes when you reset the modem, either by power cycling it or a reset button on some, you need to go into the router and under the status or WAN settings depending on your model click release then renew so the router gets the ip from the modem. What i normally do to avoid going into the router config when i have to power cycle is unplug the router, then unplug the modem, plug the modem in and let it get online and running, then plug the router in. It will renew during its boot.

k9iua6

Dubuque, IA
That power-up sequence is what I did. The first day, when I provisioned the modem, I did indeed have problems with the router not wanting to renew until I recycled power a few times. But on the second day, I just powered both down, let them sit for a minute, powered up the modem completely, then powered up the router, and it worked like a charm. It has been stable since.