R2
R Not
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-18
Long Beach, CA
kudos:1

Linking Video and Audio files

(Move me if this is the wrong forum...)

I have a video file on an HD video camera - essentially lip syncing a song. I need to change the audio and replace it with an audio MP3 file - so that the video and audio are seamless linked.

I am computer literate, but I have done very little with video editing. I have a Win 8 computer. I want to do this with one project, so I don't want to spend money on a high-end video editing program. Something free - or cheap - is what I am looking for.

What program should I use? Thank you for any advice.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57

~lil~ bump

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
reply to R2

Maybe the OP would get more responses in the Software and/or Microsoft forums?
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
Purple Zone

We've moved it in to Audio/Video ~ I think the best place for answers regarding this are here, darcy. We only introduce apps in Software...they get more play out here and some really detailed responses (forum search will support this)

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

Ah. Well, I misunderstood your use of "bump" then Usually there's some indication from the a mod that a thread was moved when it was... well, moved

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
Purple Zone

You didn't feel the lil breeze go thru?

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter

1 recommendation

reply to R2

Depends on the video file type which tool you would use. You will essentially just demux the current audio track and then remux the new audio into the video file.

Check the tool section at videohelp.com , and choose a tool based on the source file type.
--
Google is your Friend

Sarah
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2001-01-09
New York, NY
kudos:6
Reviews:
·MegaNet Communic..

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to R2

I can take movies with my Canon S95 and replace the audio with a WAV or MP3 in VirtualDub... and re-save it as an AVI with the new sound. I'm not sure what video format your camera gives you, but if it's compatible with VirtualDub, you could do it that way.

(Edit: I have about five videos to edit this way this week, so if you want a walk-through I'd be happy to help you out with a step-by-step instruction guide or something Would be easy enough to jot it down as I go through it.)

Sandman
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Strafford, MO
reply to R2

I'm not sure if Microsoft is still allowing Movie Maker to be used in Windows 8, but that's what I would probably use. As long as your file type is supported, then it's just drag and drop.
--
Rule #62: Don't take yourself so damn seriously!

R2
R Not
Premium,MVM
Long Beach, CA

2 edits
reply to Sarah

The files appear to be .mod files. Win8 has Movie Maker, but at this moment it does not seem to be playing the video portion of these files. The audio plays... but the image is black.

I have a video conversion program, so I should be able to convert it to mp4 or avi or whatever.

I remember... I have rename the file to use them... DUH.

Sarah
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2001-01-09
New York, NY
kudos:6
Reviews:
·MegaNet Communic..

I'd give conversion a try. VirtualDub supports so many formats that the list goes off the side of my screen, but .mod isn't one of them. Probably not a good sign for .mod compatibility in general
--
I has a blog!

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to R2

Conversion will depend upon the video codec used. In many instances, if it can't be played on the PC, it also will not be supported by any conversion app. This is because most media players, and conversion tools use the same codecs.

Open the file using gSpot of MediaInfo and check the video codecs that are used.

Also, video cameras typically fall into two categories: 1) they create video files using a standard video codec (which makes the files easily moved/played/processed on a PC) or 2) they create video files using a proprietary format. In which case they typically supply software with the camera for use on the PC.
--
Google is your Friend

R2
R Not
Premium,MVM
Long Beach, CA

With the .mod files from a JVC camera, all one has to do is change the extension to .mp4 and they can processed like a standard .mp4 file.