share rss forum feed

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
kudos:1
reply to Cthen

Re: [Service] Royalty fee increase

Im just curious how you knew or how long. I tried that on one of my older units it worked fine for a couple of months then nothing. Is it a issue of them sending the signal once or is it repeated?

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..

1 recommendation

I upgraded from 2 units about 5 years ago. I just disconnected them and connected the 2 new units before calling in for a radio swap. About 8 months later I got curious after hearing about others who had units who missed their signal and connected them. Sure enough they worked and still do to this day. About 11 months ago I disconnected the 2 units I was paying for then called in to cancel the subs on them in which they never got deactivation signal. They even get their updates when they are pushed out and continue to work fine.

I'm not sure exactly what the time frame it's on when they stop sending the signal. Forums around the internet say about 3-6 months at intervals of once a week is when it is sent then after that it stops sending that signal. I would at minimum wait until 8-9 months pass by to be on the safe side.

These are also Sirius radios as well and not XM units. That also could have something to do with the ease of missing their signal for deactivation.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Warzau

said by Warzau:

Im just curious how you knew or how long. I tried that on one of my older units it worked fine for a couple of months then nothing. Is it a issue of them sending the signal once or is it repeated?

I wonder that too. I have an older Sirius (2005) unit which I upgrade to a better unit (about 2008) then I migrated over to XM (2010?). Anyway, I cancelled when they got rid of BBC Radio 1 and Cinemagic. Plugged in the 2005 unit and it worked until XM offered me something I couldn't refuse. (I like MLB radio, something Sirius doesn't have). Anyway, before the XM offer, I had a notification on the 2005 unit about a 2 week free trial, and sure enough, the XM unit started working, for 2 weeks exactly. But the 2005 unit never stopped working. So I do wonder how long and often they send out signals.

If Satellite radio was smart, their units would not be working via activation/de-activation codes sent over the waves.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

MagicalPig

join:2008-07-25

I believe XM gets kill signals on a more regular basis then Sirius. Not sure but I also think they both send out signals when you cancel but if the radio is off when it is sent it will not get it. With XM if you do keep getting a signal it will kill fairly soon where Sirius could go on for a while. Also I think that if there is a free preview there will be kill signals blasted out when it is over killing even radios that worked prior to it.

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

That's what I think is prob killed mine. IIRC It worked until the end of a preview.

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3
reply to Warzau

said by Warzau:

Many years ago a friend that formerly worked at XM explained it to me like this. There is an extremely limited amount of bandwidth available for the deactivation signal. When a unit needs to be deactivated, the signal is broadcast constantly for the first 48 hours. Then every couple of minutes for the next few days. Then maybe once a day. The frequency decreases over a period of about 6 months. This is because every 6 months the decryption key for the audio stream is changed. Over the course of the 6 month period, the new key is delivered to legitimately activated units by addressing them individually. So even if you managed to avoid the deactivation signal, your decryption key would eventually expire anyway.