spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ez2cy

join:2008-03-05

Status of d-link

I"m trying to get info from d-link but I get answers I don't understand.

I know how to get to the d-link site so I can set up ...logs...status etc.

What I don't know how to do is set something up and also be able to read who and what times they've been on the net. I'm not talking a password, I'm talking own children that are suppose to be in bed. I know they are on the net, mom says "they say no" and believes them. I need a log that says.....computer LOSLLWP_ was on the net on Jan. 24, 1-2 a.m. or something.

Can anyone walk me thru this?

Please take it step by step. As I said, I can get to my log in page and log in. From there.......lost.

Thanks in advance.

BimmerE38FN

join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID
kudos:1

What model are you referring too ?

ez2cy

DIR-632

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

2 edits
reply to ez2cy

I am attaching screen shots from my DIR-655 that show:

1. Where to setup logging (and where to monitor it):
2. Where to setup a schedule that can regulate when your kids can access the Internet.
3. Where to setup access rules (using the above schedule) for your kids (when they are using their own PCs).

While the above screen shots are from a DIR-655, the DIR-632 has similar features.

EDIT:
I forgot to include the screen shot below that shows where to correlate computer names, IP addresses, and MAC addresses (since the logging and access controls display IP addresses and/or MAC addresses instead of computer names).

--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

ez2cy

Click for full size
'thank you for your reply.

The first one for the logs, I get a "ath0: STA 00:21:2f:35:c1:2e IEEE 802.11: associat
ed " for the message part, totally unlike yours.

Attaching a print screen for naming the computer etc. How do I know which one is mine, the wife's or kid?

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit

said by ez2cy:

'thank you for your reply.

The first one for the logs, I get a "ath0: STA 00:21:2f:35:c1:2e IEEE 802.11: associat
ed " for the message part, totally unlike yours.

Attaching a print screen for naming the computer etc. How do I know which one is mine, the wife's or kid?

The log entry you quote is for a wireless PC (whose MAC address is 00:21:2f:35:c1:2e) associating with your WiFi radio, it is not an entry for Internet access. The Internet access entries should show as a "Web Access" entry. As for your one quoted entry being "totally unlike" mine, you only quoted one entry, and I guess that it is also possible that your DIR-632 does not log web access (if so, then you are out of luck with monitoring your kids' Internet access).

As for the screen shot, you did not post what you said you were posting, but that part of the routers status display (assuming that you meant to post the "Lan Computers" status section) will only show you the computer names that are internally assigned in the computer. Shown below is a screen shot showing where I setup the computer name in the Windows XP workstation that I am using to make this post.

Shown below is a screen shot of where I setup the computer name for a Toshiba notebook running Windows Vista.

You will need to find out where to do this for each of your computers. The default names that Windows sets up are usually not very intuitive; if you want specific easily recognizable names for your computers, you need to set that up inside the computers. You will note that the two computers whose setup pages I posted above do indeed show up using my selected names in my DIR-655's "Device Info" status page that I previously posted.

Once you assign each of your computers a meaningful (to you) name, you can easily find out which of your wireless PCs was the one in the log entry excerpt that you posted (because the computer name, IP address, and MAC address for each attached PC shoud show up in the "Lan Computers" section of the "Device Info" page, and also in the "Wireless" page.

Here is a screen shot of my DIR-655's "Wireless" page showing a notebook that I just associated with that router, and also an updated screen shot of the "Lan Computers" where I can also cross reference the computer name (RWS-6325) with the IP address and the MAC address. Sorry, but there is no "one place" where you can see all of the information that you want to see.

--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

ez2cy

Thank you for your effort however.....

Looking over all this and trying to figure it out, I'm gathering that I'm useless with this and won't get it.

I want to thank you though for taking the time to try and help me. I am sorry I'm hopeless here...LOL

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
reply to ez2cy

As a suggestion, I recommend someone (NetFixer?) remote in with ez2cy using teamviewer and help him set up logging and make sure his router is working well for it and show him how it's done.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by BimmerE38FN:

As a suggestion, I recommend someone (NetFixer?) remote in with ez2cy using teamviewer and help him set up logging and make sure his router is working well for it and show him how it's done.

That sounds like a job for FurryNutz to me.

As for me, since I am now retired, I no longer pay for the kind of liability insurance that doing such things requires.
--

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID

Using Teamviewer and remoting in with that user to help them get there router set well doesn't require any kind of liability insurance sure. While you are remoting in, the main user whom you are connected to is watching you and every move you make.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by BimmerE38FN:

Using Teamviewer and remoting in with that user to help them get there router set well doesn't require any kind of liability insurance sure. While you are remoting in, the main user whom you are connected to is watching you and every move you make.

You have obviously never run your own business and supplied products or services to customers. There are people who will sue you for anything imaginable (and even unimaginable). I have had extortion threats for activities not unlike using TeamViewer on customer equipment (such as being blamed for injecting malware that was present long before I touched their equipment...and was in fact the reason I was doing the work); and without proper liability insurance, I would have had to (at the very least) pay legal fees (that far exceeded the cost of the liability insurance) to defend myself from such attacks (either that, or just give in to the extortion).

Even if you are a corporate drone and don't directly pay for your own liability insurance, if you have any interaction with your employer's customers, you can be sure that your employer has liability insurance (or very deep pockets and a permanent legal staff) to protect the company from any perceived actions that might be even remotely attributable to you.

Note to the OP: I am in no way insinuating that you are an extortionist, I am just making a common sense reply to BimmerE38FN See Profile regarding the need for liability insurance for anyone who provides services to customers (even pro bono services to non-customers).
--

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to ez2cy

Not even to help out your fellow man huh?

Understandable, I've thought about both sides of the fence regarding remote control. Yes there is some risks however you should also taking into account, after working with users and trying to help them out, eventually you come to have some trust in users and in most cases, users are only looking to help in getting there equipment running and in most cases, usually can be easily helped and fixed by using remote control while they are watching and learning from what you are doing and teaching them how too.

Understand your point though. To each his own. No hard feelings.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by BimmerE38FN:

Not even to help out your fellow man huh?

Understandable, I've thought about both sides of the fence regarding remote control. Yes there is some risks however you should also taking into account, after working with users and trying to help them out, eventually you come to have some trust in users and in most cases, users are only looking to help in getting there equipment running and in most cases, usually can be easily helped and fixed by using remote control while they are watching and learning from what you are doing and teaching them how too.

Understand your point though. To each his own. No hard feelings.

OK, so why are you trying to get someone else to remote into the OP's PC or router and fix things, and not just doing it yourself?
--

merlock
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Warner Robins, GA

1 edit
reply to ez2cy

OP, if you are technologically challenged (yes, it can be daunting), take a low-tech approach:

1. Re-route (or re-wire) your network so your cable (DSL) modem and router are in your bedroom.

2. Unplug router or modem when you go to bed.

3. Lock your bedroom door.

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to NetFixer

I thought that I would suggested that since you offered up the most information about this that you might continue seamless support and help them get there router set up fast and you could ensure that it was set up well and show them how to do it. It's all about providing help and getting peoples problems solved is all.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

Perhaps you will have better luck if you try a different bait (or maybe a different fishing hole).

--

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3
reply to ez2cy

I think this person needs someone to do it for them in person. Do you have any family members? If not, look in your phone book for a Computer Repair shop. If all else fails, there is always Geeksquad. Or perhaps your ISP has Premium Tech support they can offer you.

BimmerE38FN

Boise, ID
reply to ez2cy

User has moved on.