Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3

1 edit

WDS boot images

Click for full size
Windows XP Pro x64
Do I need a boot image for each operating system I want to deploy with Windows Deployment Services or would one boot image for a 64-bit OS and one boot image for a 32-bit OS suffice?

I ask because I have an individual boot image for XP, Vista, 7, and Server 2008 both a 32-bit and 64-bit version loaded into WDS and the list in the picture is long. I loaded the "Server 2008 R2" boot image and every 64-bit OS shows up on the operating system list for install.

--
"All newspaper editorial writers ever do is come down from the hills after the battle is over and shoot the wounded." - Bruce Anderson
"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

I haven't worked with pure wds but with sccm.

and from that I can say you only need one boot image.
where I work they even have the 32bit boot image used to deploy win-7 64.

Basically its just a basic OS that can grab the image and load it to the harddrive.
--
»Death Star Petition

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
New Orleans, LA

said by DarkLogix:

I haven't worked with pure wds but with sccm.

and from that I can say you only need one boot image.
where I work they even have the 32bit boot image used to deploy win-7 64.

Basically its just a basic OS that can grab the image and load it to the harddrive.

I'll drop em all except one 64-bit and one 32-bit image and try that. I pulled the Server 2008 R2 boot image and loaded Window XP 64 bit onto the test VM.
--
"All newspaper editorial writers ever do is come down from the hills after the battle is over and shoot the wounded." - Bruce Anderson
"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
New Orleans, LA

Click for full size
Thanks. Just wanted a second opinion before I started hitting "delete".

OmenQ
Spazz
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Continuum

This screenshot is exactly how I have my WDS boot images. Then I have all the x64 OS choices under the x64 boot, and the x86 OS's under the x86 boot.
--
Cogito Ergo Nom

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
reply to exocet_cm

How do you get a menu like that? I have 2 boot images in but it loads directly to an acronis winpe environment after pressing F12 to continue network boot. I don't even get a selection screen before that to choose win7 installation environment.

I would like to add some diagnostic stuff too like memory testing utilities, dell diagnostics or one of my WinPE ultimate boot cd's (great for fixing problems or scanning for malware).

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

Now that I'm back at work I can take a look at my DHCP server settings. I added these items to get PXE boot to work.

043 Vendor Specific - 01 04 00 00 00 00 ff
066 Boot Server Host Name - *ip address of WDS machine*
067 Bootfile Name - boot\x86\pxeboot.com

Then on the WDS server under Boot Images I have
Windows 7 Setup - x64 - Online - 2150 MB - 6.1.7600
Acronis WinPE x86 boot - x86 - Online - 1019 MB - 6.1.7600

I would of thought after hitting F12 during a PXE boot that I would see a menu like the OP with those two boot images in there. Then I could put a bunch of other things... Maybe PXELinux or WinPE based diagnostic live cd images?

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
reply to exocet_cm

Found the answer...

Changed DHCP option 67 to
067 Bootfile Name - boot\x86\WDSNBP.com

I now get a menu like you guys.