My spoon is too big
Premium Member
join:2011-09-16
Elk Grove, CA

Ben J to jamesonnorth

Premium Member

to jamesonnorth

Re: How does bonded REALLY work?

A node won't be green-lighted for bonded service if, based on max port count or by predicted future sales for that node (including any subtended RTs), the existing uplink could not handle the load. Basically, this prevents bonded services from being enabled on already "oversold" nodes, or nodes that have the potential to be "oversold" in the near future (with or without bonded services). Second Connect is considered a "additional subscriber" on the network, so those orders still flow through based on existing procedures on subscriber counts per node.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB

Premium Member

said by Ben J:

Second Connect is considered a "additional subscriber" on the network, so those orders still flow through based on existing procedures on subscriber counts per node.

And thereby moving the node even closer to being oversold.

thistool
@144.70.2.x

thistool to Ben J

Anon

to Ben J
Frontier over sell a node lol oh no say it's not so. How about a single Lucent shelf with 12 adsl2+ cards, feed from a single ds3 Being sold 7m based on loop length to the cust ped. No Frontier would never do that. Heck just look at the months of congestion, um excuse me utilization in the Carolina's.
jamesonnorth
join:2012-12-22
Modoc, IN

jamesonnorth to Ben J

to Ben J
I have set up a temporary solution with a load balancing/gateway group pfSense server. It'll do for now, and as long as I use a download manager or something that can use multiple connections, I get 12.5mbps down and 1.5mbps up. That works for me for now, but $80 per month is crap when they could very easily put me on bonded if they wanted, especially since I have two active lines.

I'd even be willing to pay the $80 per month for 12mbps/1.5mbps bonded simply because it'd be less of a headache for me to maintain. Now I have to worry about another server sucking power instead of a little modem.

Frontier really ticks me off sometimes...I can't imagine them running all these DSL customers off a DS3 line, but I've seen weird things. My high school ran off a single T1 line, and we had 3 full computer labs and at least 2 smaller labs. Stretch the backhaul to the max and when things stop working or slow to an absolute crawl, install a few OC3 lines or higher.

I've had confirmation from the techs that a Frontier branded U-verse service is coming to my area, so I know we can expect 12mbps, but he said it's doubtful if we see VDSL until 2014. Here's hoping I only have to shell out $80 per month for a few months until the upgrades...
jamesonnorth

jamesonnorth

If anyone else has this kind of issue, I'd really suggest trying out pfSense. I didn't think it would work as well as it is, but here's a speedtest.

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 9013.png
pittpete1
join:2009-06-12

pittpete1 to jamesonnorth

to jamesonnorth
Never say never when it comes to Frontier.
James, my area was being fed with T1's until I got on them about low speeds during peak times.
The highest option is the 6mbs and I was lucky to get over 1.5
It took a few months but they upped it to a DS3 and speeds are better.
I live an hour outside of NYC.
jamesonnorth
join:2012-12-22
Modoc, IN

jamesonnorth

I've said it many times, but that's a sad situation for backhaul. If there are only 20 customers and they all have 6mbps and are normal internet users, a DS3 would be okay, as it's unlikely they'll all be using full pipe at the same time. But an entire area being fed off T1's is ridiculous. I say ridiculous but I've seen it here on the forums more than once. I want to say Hank also has/had that problem.

I have always been able to pull at least 5mbps of my 6mbps, so either they don't have many DSL customers here or there's enough backhaul.

Living that close to a major metropolitan area and having any less than 10mbps is ludicrous. I say less than 10mbps is ludicrous, but I lived with 768k up and down for about 2 years before Frontier brought in DSL.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to thistool

MVM

to thistool
said by thistool :

Frontier over sell a node lol oh no say it's not so...

Show me a ISP that doesn't oversell a node and I'll show you an ISP that isn't going to be around for long.

If you are paying $50-$80 for a connection at a residence or business, you aren't paying for committed bandwidth. Period.