uniqs
share rss forum feed

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

Frozen steaks - eat or don't eat?

I was going through my freezer today. I have two boxes of Omaha steaks, one from 2 years ago and the other is 1.5 years old. They are in my freezer. There's still a couple steaks left in each box. They're vaccuum packed. Safe to eat or throw away?

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-15
none

if they have never been thawed they are safe to eat. but they may be freezer burnt and they will taste bad if they are. if you cannot tell what freezer burnt meat looks like, then i say cook it and see. it won't hurt you, other than it might make you gag.
--
Lack of Preparation on YOUR Part does NOT Constitute an Emergency on Mine!

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

What does it look like? They look a little dark. I forgot what their original color was.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2

Freezer burn looks like snow in the package. If it's vacuum packed, it shouldn't be a problem to eat.

g121
MrGee

join:2004-05-28
Toronto

1 recommendation

reply to fartness

they're fine .. maybe use them in a stew .. cheers

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
reply to fartness

They're safe to eat

Deep freeze

@mycingular.net
reply to fartness

Are they in a deep freezer or the freezer compartment in a refrigerator? If they are in the former, it's set at zero degrees F or colder and you haven't experienced a long-term power outages they are safe. Since they are vacuum packed, I'm nearly certain they'll taste just fine.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to Juggernaut

I get snow in the package on new stuff, and these don't have any snow in them.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

That's the vacuum pack working. No air, no moisture to cause freezer burn.

primeomega

join:2004-03-11
De Pere, WI
reply to fartness

I buy a lot from Omaha Steaks, and have had some left forgot at the bottom of my chest freezer for year also. I find with steaks, if you do a good overnight marinate on them, it will help for the taste.

They will not taste as good as fresh ones, but better then to toss them out!

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to fartness

"I have two boxes of Omaha steaks, one from 2 years ago and the other is 1.5 years old"

I wouldn't eat them if they were 3 days old. The only thing cool about Omaha Steaks is that you get to play with Dry Ice. Once a steak is frozen it's not going to be anywhere near as good as picking it up at the local store or meat market.

If it's never been thawed then it's probably ok.

--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-15
none
reply to fartness

if they are freezer burnt it will look like the edges have been lightly singed, thus the term "burnt". usually there is a pale color and the grain of the meat really pops out in those areas. like it said, it won't make you sick or anything but it may taste bad.

vacuum sealed meat is usually "good" for 12-18 months by the label, but honestly i've had some last 3-4 years and be fine. then again i've had some that freezer burnt in only a couple months even though it was still factory sealed.
--
Lack of Preparation on YOUR Part does NOT Constitute an Emergency on Mine!

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to fartness

Stew or chili would be good options for them.

BACULUM

join:2011-10-31
Leander, TX
reply to fartness

Marinate them and make shiskabobs.
--
Only your wallet will hurt.

KeysCapt
FAQ Master
join:2001-07-11
Carson City, NV
kudos:1
reply to fartness

I don't know how many posting here are actually familiar with Omaha Steaks products. I routinely eat steaks and fish from them that has been frozen for 6+ months and I've never had a problem with taste or anything else.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to fartness

Well, I have to admit that I am not a fan of Omaha steaks...had them a few times and not one of them lived up to the reputation.

The Omaha steaks that I have had in the past tended to have a rather dark appearance as I recall.

However, you should be perfectly safe in eating them as long as they are not "re-frozen", the only danger will be that they probably will not taste as good as they would have if consumed more promptly.
--
Deeds, not words

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to fartness

Cooked two yesterday. One tasted ok, but not as good as when they were fresh. The other tasted ok but one bite had a weird after taste. I didn't marinate them overnight like I normally do, I just threw some stuff on top and threw them in the oven. Better than eating at McDonalds.