RobNyc
Premium Member
join:2002-03-06
New York, NY

RobNyc

Premium Member

Car Insurance Question

Hello everyone,
I been living in New Jersey (15-20mins away) from NYC (previous address/ parents place) for the past 2yrs. My car is registered under me with my places address because I have a NY state license and not NJ. My current insurance is with Geico under my dad as main policy holder but I'm added as a driver.

My question is now I was shopping for my own insurance and I checked with Libery Mutual and got a really good quote using my current address in New Jersey, can my car be registered in NY but my insurance be in NJ ? or do I need to get a quote using the same address the car is registered under?

I visit my parent's place frequently so I do tend to the park the car in the streets sometimes.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

Do not lie to your potential new insurance company. Tell them where the car resides and is registered.

RobNyc
Premium Member
New York, NY

RobNyc

Premium Member

said by Doctor Olds:

Do not lie to your potential new insurance company. Tell them where the car resides and is registered.

Liberty Mutual does have an option where it says does the vehicle resides at a different address, the car does not but I visit my parents 2-3x a week sometimes if I don't find parking within 15mins I leave it at the Garage 2 blocks away.

Bubba
GIT-R-DONE
MVM
join:2002-08-19
St. Andrews

Bubba

MVM

said by RobNyc:
Liberty Mutual does have an option where it says does the vehicle resides
"resides" by most definitions equals permanent address. That said, I had the same situation recently whereby due to a move, my permanent address became Tn and auto was insured in Ms, an adjoining state. State Farm of Ms would no longer provide coverage, so I had to obtain insurance in the state where the auto "resides"(permanent address). I do not like to make accusations but it appears you are attempting to twist things in your favor. As DO said..."Tell them where the car resides and is registered"

RobNyc
Premium Member
New York, NY

RobNyc

Premium Member

I' actually dont want to twist things in my favor & don't see how I can in this situation, thats why I'm asking if others been in a similar situation. So I will be using my residing address.

So if I reside in NJ, but car is registered in NY. I currently have insurance under the address car is registered in. I just don't want to get new insurance in new address in NJ, and have to get NJ license, plate, etc hassle.

Bubba
GIT-R-DONE
MVM
join:2002-08-19
St. Andrews

Bubba

MVM

said by RobNyc:

I just don't want to get new insurance in new address in NJ, and have to get NJ license, plate, etc hassle.

The "hassle" I would be more concerned with is being bankrupt after insurance co. discovers insurance fraud after a major accident I might be involved in.

Also, us honest drivers, insurance wise , pay higher premiums for such fraud in the end along with NJ tax payers shouldering some of your responsibility when it comes to road taxes and such....etc, etc, etc.
quote:
TRENTON — New Jersey is taking aim at residents who fraudulently register their vehicles or obtain auto insurance in other states.

The Assembly recently passed a measure that makes so-called "reverse rate evasion" a form of insurance fraud under state law.

Under the practice, vehicle owners register and insure their vehicles in other states to get cheaper premiums, even though the Garden State is their principal residence or the insured vehicle is mostly kept in New Jersey.

Critics say this results in the state losing substantial revenues, causes higher premiums for those who properly register their vehicles and reduces insurers and stockholder profits. They also note that many out-of-state policies provide lesser coverage than what's mandated under New Jersey law.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel to RobNyc

to RobNyc
Also each state has different limits, so NY. may have a higher minimum limit than NJ. or vice versa.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut to RobNyc

to RobNyc
I would recommend being as honest with your "new" Insurance as possible.

This is a big problem in my area, involving Washington and Oregon. Many folks in Vancouver, just across the Columbia River from Portland, will register their cars in Oregon, yet live in Vancouver. It too is a short drive. License, taxes and other fees are much, much less in Oregon. Though the penalty in getting caught, the last I read is quite high. And every once in a while will do a "sweep", that is well publicized in the News.

I moved from Oregon to Washington, recently to help out my aging parents and kept my vehicle licensed and insured in my old state for as long as I could. I am in an area with a lot of out of State Licenses from the Military Bases and drove the vehicle very little. I am way farther North and flew under the radar with the rest. I too still have ties and addresses in my old state and will eventually return. As I do not know how long I am going to currently live here.

Eventually, my Insurance contacted me as to my status and we switched States, no big whoop. Except my premium went up $8/mo and some of the coverages increased to my benefit with the Washington Policy. I assume there are databases that they subscribe to that alerted them.

I believe some of the Key Elements are - where is the vehicle garaged the most, where is your employment, where are your credit card/bank statements addressed, vote, address used by the IRS, where does one rent a apt or residence and such.

On the vehicle, I have a loan through my Credit Union in Oregon, my old State. When registering it in my new State's DMV, they left the Title with my old State and just changed addresses on it.

hth

RobNyc
Premium Member
New York, NY

RobNyc

Premium Member

Thanks guys.

I will be getting a new vehicle soon (debating on whether finance or lease) will suit me better. I will be registering the new vehicle in my current (NJ) address, since thats where I been living for the past year and where I will be getting new insurance with. But I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to change all my personal info to my new address rather than my safe old parent address.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to RobNyc

Premium Member

to RobNyc
If you live in NJ, state law requires you to have an NJ license and your car to be registered in NJ (assuming it is normally kept in NJ).

You don't have a lot of flexibility on that.

The insurance people are going to charge you for insurance based on where you keep the car, and they will need to see the registration, so it seems you have no place to tell them anywhere but NJ.

Also, I think you were supposed to get an NJ license and register your car in NJ within 60 days of becoming resident there. You're on dangerous ground with the license, maybe.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to RobNyc

to RobNyc
I suggest you check-out the largest auto insurer in NJ - »www.njm.com
They're #1 for a reason (actually a bunch of good reasons).

CGMason14
Nj Roaddog
join:2002-07-22
Mountainside, NJ

CGMason14 to RobNyc

to RobNyc
Register the car in NJ. Insurance is likely cheaper then anywhere in NYC. Now a story. A friend of mine had a car registered in NJ, but for some strange reason, the insurance company issued him a NY policy despite him telling them that he moved to NJ and switched all his paperwork (license, car registration). The insurance card even listed his NJ address.

Long story short, he got into an accident and the car was totaled with injury. The insurance company tried to weasel out of paying due to the policy being in the wrong state. The court said otherwise and made them pay up because he notified them of the policy change and they screwed up issuing the policy. Its not a hassle you want to deal with.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

Looks like for 2012 - cheaper in NY than NJ:
»www.insure.com/car-insur ··· tes.html

15th for NJ and NY is 23rd - at least on average
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

You need to compare northern NJ with NYC, not all of NJ with all of NY.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

That is why it is 'on average'.
"We then averaged rates for all vehicles in each state to create the rankings of affordable car insurance."
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

Which is why it's useless.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

Averages does not make it useless imho
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

It's useless as to whether the OP's car insurance will go up or down when he tells his insurance company the truth.

RobNyc
Premium Member
New York, NY

RobNyc

Premium Member

I have told my insurance company I have been living in NJ but my car registration/insurance is under my dads in NYC as that use to be my address before. Since my NJ location wasn't permanent I decided not to get NJ license since I only have 2yrs with my license as well (new driver).

I quoted myself for insurance but it was about 4k a year whereas I added myself to my dads policy and it was 2200 a year. Now with this new insurance company I am trying to get my name running alone. They asked me if the car was registered in NY i said yes, they will get back to me this week.

Anyone dealt w/ Libery Mutual before?
I gave them my NJ address (which is now permanent) and the address where the car is registered. So I don't know where some of you are getting "I am not telling them the truth" part from.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

said by RobNyc:

So I don't know where some of you are getting "I am not telling them the truth" part from.

Does Geico know where you currently live and where the car is garaged?
said by RobNyc:

I been living in New Jersey (15-20mins away) from NYC (previous address/ parents place) for the past 2yrs...
My current insurance is with Geico under my dad as main policy holder but I'm added as a driver.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed to RobNyc

MVM

to RobNyc
From you wanting to register in a different state to get cheaper insurance while you live in another state.

RobNyc
Premium Member
New York, NY

RobNyc to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

Does Geico know where you currently live and where the car is garaged?

The policy holder is my dad and I'm only a secondary driver.
RobNyc

RobNyc to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

From you wanting to register in a different state to get cheaper insurance while you live in another state.

I'm getting my own insurance, I provided them with all the honest info. Whats wrong ?
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4 to RobNyc

to RobNyc
So your father lied to them.

RobNyc
Premium Member
New York, NY

RobNyc

Premium Member

said by Bob4:

So your father lied to them.

No my dad lives in NY, car is registered and insured in NY as well.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

If you're the primary driver of the car and/or you live in NJ and/or the car is regularly garaged in NJ, you have to tell that to the insurance company.