how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rell89

join:2013-01-18
Washington, DC

[speed/latency] Is verizon lying to me?

Let's see, I called Verizon on the 16th of this month and upgraded from the internet package I was on. They told me I was on the 1.5 but qualified for the 3.1-7 and that my line was optimized for 5Mbps. SO I upgraded, even being told it'd be $5 cheaper. I was told I'd see the speed increase within 24 hrs. After 48 hrs I hadn't noticed a thing so I called them back. Basically over the course over the course of the past 2 weeks I've been calling them back and keep getting different answers. First I was told that my account change was still pending for some reason and they put a ticket on it to fix that. Never fixed, though on subsequent calls I was told they could see the tickets and attempted to help me (or so it seemed anyway) but nothing has changed. My speeds are basically the same. Speed tests on here and Speedtest.net tell me that I'm getting (depending on the time of day) between 1.3-2.8Mbps. Real world browsing experience is still the same too with youtube vids still taking a long time to load a lot of the times. Also in this span, i was bounced between billing and tech support with each saying the problem must be on the other's end.

So I called again today to ask which tier I was on and was told the 1.1-7 tier so anything I get between these 2 numbers is what I should be getting. This was new information to me as every time previously I was told that I was either on the 1.5 tier or the 3-7 tier. Also if I go to my verizon account on the web, it tells me I'm on the 3.1-7Mbps plan. Am I just being lied to at this point? I'm so confused. Should I just give up? Does anyone have any advice? Sorry if any of this seems confusing or not clear. I'm just really confused myself and angry.

Youngblood

join:2009-07-02
Nokesville, VA

quote:
I was told I'd see the speed increase within 24 hrs. After 48 hrs I hadn't noticed a thing so I called them back.
What does this mean? Surely this is simply a poorly-crafted reference to actually checking your speeds, before & after, with something like »www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ , yes?

Demonfang

join:2011-04-21
Spring Mills, PA
kudos:1
reply to rell89

sorry to hear you're having this issue. could you post up transceiver statistics? if you don't know how to get these, post up your modem make and model, and i can point you in the right direction.

rell89

Washington, DC
reply to rell89

Thanks Demonfang, I have an Actiontec GT784WNV. And @Youngblood I used the speedtests available here on dslreports and speedtest.net. But I could just guess based off trying to stream content as well as how fast files downloaded. Not the most scientific test, I know, but it was confirmed when I called tech support and they told me what I was getting were the same speeds as before.

Expand your moderator at work

Demonfang

Spring Mills, PA
reply to rell89

Re: [speed/latency] Is verizon lying to me?

so i take it you resolved the issue then?

rell89

Washington, DC

Oh no I'm sorry, you asked me for the router if I didn't know how to get the transceiver statistics, which I don't. I have an Actiontec GT784WNV.

Youngblood

Nokesville, VA
reply to rell89

quote:
And @Youngblood I used the speedtests available here on dslreports and speedtest.net. But I could just guess based off trying to stream content as well as how fast files downloaded. Not the most scientific test, I know, but it was confirmed when I called tech support and they told me what I was getting were the same speeds as before.
Cool, understood ... just sounded to me like you might not have actually tested it, y'know?

I wish that I could help you with accessing transceiver stats, but I only have the briefest experience with the one of the Actiontec models (set one up for my cousin's wife a few years ago). I have a Westell 6100.

Your post is the first that I have heard of a 1.1-7 Plan. If I were you, first thing, I would get something in hardcopy that states my Plan is 3.1-7Mbps (the Plan with which I am familiar) ... even if that is only a screen capture of the page showing that in your online account (in Windows ALT-PRT SCRN will capture the image in the active window and then you can paste & save it in a proggie like PAINT [mspaint.exe]). With such "proof" it will be more difficult for them to argue that you were mistaken in what you thought you were told.

BTW, whenever I must make such deals on the phone, I always have a pad & pen beside me a jot down dates, times, names, details and then, at the very least, send them to myself in (saved) email form for documentation. In the past, in several instances, such documentation has been critical in resolving new "misunderstandings".

Now I will step back, and watch the Actiontec Masters and VerizonDSL Forum Gurus in action as they help you to a resolution.

Best of Luck!

Oh, one last thing, since 2005 I have only run into one instance of actual VerizonDSL LYING going on and that had to do with a few questionable folks in Mumbai. I am convinced that such behavior is almost always a case of RightHand/LeftHand ignorance.

Demonfang

Spring Mills, PA
reply to rell89

oh, ok, sorry.

once logged into the modem, click on the status tab at the top, then click wan statistics on the menu on the left side of the page

rell89

Washington, DC
reply to rell89

Ok thanks guys for your support, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately I had to go out of town for a bit unexpectedly but I hope you'll be able to help me when I return, especially you Demonfang with the my transceiver statistics when I'm able to obtain them.

rell89

Washington, DC
reply to rell89

Okay, I just got back today. Here are my transceiver stats, I hope this is evrything:

VPI: 0
VCI: 35
Broadband Mode Setting: ADSL
Broadband Negotiated Mode: G.DMT
Connection Status: CONNECTED
Downstream Speed: 3360 Kbps
Upstream Speed: 640 Kbps
Retrains: 1
Retrain Timer: 8 Days, 2H:41M:44S
ATM QoS class: UBR
Near End CRC Errors Interleave: 7012
Near End CRC Errors Fastpath : N/A
Far End CRC Errors Interleave : 122
Far End CRC Errors Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Near End CRC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Near End CRC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Far End CRC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Far End CRC Fastpath : N/A
Near End RS FEC Interleave : 0
Near End RS FEC Fastpath : N/A
Far End RS FEC Interleave : 0
Far End RS FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Near End FEC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Near End FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Far End FEC Interleave : 3
30 Minute Far End FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Discarded Packets Downstream : 0
30 Minute Discarded Packets Upstream : 0
SNR Downstream : 12 dB
SNR Upstream : 9 dB
Attenuation Downstream : 51 dB
Attenuation Upstream : 31 dB
Power Downstream 18.8 dBm
Power Upstream 11.9 dBm

Demonfang

Spring Mills, PA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

that's all i needed to know. your line cannot do anything above 3Mbps, your line is simply too long to handle it. getting past that, your upstream sync should be at 864, not 640. as well, the snr upstream is poor, would be good to see it at 12 or more. i would suggest the usual checking wires, connections, wall jacks, etc..., and seeing if you can get upstream back up to 864 where it should be. beyond that, there's not much else to say; i'm in the same boat you're in, i can't get anything above 3 where i live as well.

Youngblood

Nokesville, VA
reply to rell89

Do you have the capability of connecting directly to the NID (the box where the service comes into the house)?

If so, do that and get a copy of the stats.

I think of that as reflecting Best Case for your home. That way, if you see a major diff between the 2 sets of stats you know that the cause is somewhere inside of the house.

Several years ago I accepted Verizon's offer to try their 7Mbps (capped at only 5Mbps, though) for 6 months for no extra cost.

I was seeing much lower (and inconsistent) Up&DN synch speeds. I checked at the NID and obtained a perfect & consistent 5Mbps synch.

Armed with that information I was able to do some testing inside my house and determined one particular run of wire to be the culprit. Apparently, it could handle 3Mbps but 5Mbps was just too much.

BTW, my Attenuation Downstream at that time was running ~42-45 and I realized that 5Mbps would be pushing it ... but once I got that bad length of wire sorted, I had a solid 5Mbps for the remainder of that Trial.

rell89

Washington, DC
reply to rell89

@Demonfang, thanks for the help, this is a bit depressing though.

@Youngblood I think I'm just gonna leave it alone. I can now at least convince my family to switch to anther ISP. RCN has a deal for 50Mbps for $40 bucks. Had avoided pushing for this since I don't technically handle the bills and stuff, just all the tech support calling and stuff haha. I had heard mixed things about RCN, mainly in regard to their customer service, but It's not like I've had a great experience with Verizon, so it seems worth a shot. Thanks again you guys!

Demonfang

Spring Mills, PA

glad i could help out information wise. hope you have a good experience with rcn.

Youngblood

Nokesville, VA
reply to rell89

I just googled and read-up on RCN, a bit. That looks like a great deal!

Best of luck, rell89!