share rss forum feed

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat

join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

Arris modem out of sync - precisely 48 hours apart

Arris modem seems to be in a loop where I get "DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=...(the MAC of the modem)", every other day, at precisely 17:22. I see entries covering the past 10 days. We don't do anything as precisely as to say it was something from one of the computers. I haven't been checking the modem, but one of the computers is having a lot of trouble staying connected tonight, so I took a look. I have not seen this happen before, either. Uncorrectables on all 8 channels, but they're low, under 0.000105%.

Any clues?

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

The message coming in at the same time is because it happens only at times when the DHCP lease renews, which appears to be 48 hours. I don't know what it means, but I know that it is not impacting. I didn't have any packet loss when getting those errors myself. I don't know where official documentation from Arris is to elaborate on cause, but don't worry about those messages.

momcat1

Wappingers Falls, NY
reply to momcat1

Oh well. Thought I might have something. Still don't know what's causing that computer to keep losing connection. Maybe I'll change out the wifi card this weekend.

Gest

@optonline.net

Been seeing lots of this lately. Anyone else. A few people i know are seeing it also. Seems like internet just stops working. Along with the dhcp one

TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CM-MAC=00:1d:d0:**:**:** ;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:49:6e:48;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

dingchavez

@optonline.net

I get these sort of errors all the time, on my brand new Arris modem. These errors seem to lead to a loss of internet connection, resulting in the need to power-cycle...sometimes, the errors come and go without necessitating a complete restart, but they certainly have a negative effect on network performance.

In addition, I have nearly constant visual artifacts on all of my cable boxes as well. Some channels are intermittently black, most often Discovery/Learning, Speed TV, and the History Channel. Sound will often skip and sputter, and the cable boxes freeze fairly often (more than once a week).

I have had many technicians in my home, and the supervisor for my area is in my rolodex. They all claim that this is either normal operation - or that any one of a number of things are at fault. To date, they have blamed my problems on 1) electrical interference from wall outlets 2) stretched wires from hurricane Sandy 3) the cable box and.or modem being too warm 4) bad splitters 5)loose wires at box terminus 6) bad run from street to house 6) HDMI wire
7) electrical interference from a neighbors home 8) temperature fluctuation related to weather.

Cablevision's monopoly has insulated them from competition for too long. Whatever the root(s) of these issues, they have lingered for years, through multiple generations of equipment.

/rant

aannoonn

@optonline.net
reply to momcat1

The DHCP Renew Warning has been discussed here previously. The warning can be ignored.

aannoonn

@optonline.net
reply to dingchavez

If you're truly having problems, send an email to Wilt (search the forum for his email address). He'll get you fixed up.

momcat1

Wappingers Falls, NY

Nope, it's not that serious yet. When it gets worse I will

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:2

If it's only some PCs in the house and not others, don't bother Wilt because it's an in-house issue.

momcat1

Wappingers Falls, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

It's all of them, but not at the same time. I haven't changed anything in the house. I do suspect ill timed resets on the modem, because I had to refresh the wifi printer, and both NAS drives stopped communicating with the router. All of this happened in the same time frame. The router doesn't show anything unusual.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by momcat1:

I do suspect ill timed resets on the modem, because I had to refresh the wifi printer, and both NAS drives stopped communicating with the router.

Your printer and NAS drives have nothing to do with your modem. Your problem lies elsewhere.

It's dingchavez who may need to contact Wilt.

momcat1

Wappingers Falls, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by Bob4 See Profile
Your printer and NAS drives have nothing to do with your modem. Your problem lies elsewhere.

[/BQUOTE :

What are you hinting at?

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey

You have a problem with your own network.

momcat1

Wappingers Falls, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to momcat1

You know, it's funny. On days when we see lots of video and audio dropouts on cable, we have more issues with computers that keep dropping connection. When we don't have dropouts on cable, we don't have them on the computers, either.

Just saying

momcat1

Wappingers Falls, NY
reply to momcat1

FYI, I just checked the modem log, and the DHCP Renew Warning stopped a week ago. I haven't changed anything on our network. So what does that mean?

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey

It means the DHCP renew warning can be ignored. Even if it was occurring every day, the warning can be ignored.

SHoTTa35

@kfvaluation.com

FYI i notice this everyday at 3:43am, going back to the 2/7/2013 and I am on static BOOL in Fairfield, CT.

Doesn't affect connectivity (maybe because we have to connections as well with failover) but just thought i'd throw that out there.

momcat1

Wappingers Falls, NY

It must be magic!

DAOWAce

join:2006-10-25
Flanders, NJ
reply to momcat1

I've gotten these every so often, along with T3 timeouts, for years.

Still don't know what causes it, but most of the time there's no issues.

cablewizzard

join:2009-06-14
Hicksville, NY
kudos:1

Arris modems NOT out of sync - it's just DHCP renewal, doods

said by DAOWAce:

I've gotten these every so often, along with T3 timeouts, for years.

Still don't know what causes it, but most of the time there's no issues.

This entire thread is misnamed and severely misleading.
There's no sync loss of the OP's modem - all you have are DHCP renew warnings because your specific modem and/or firmware does not support a DHCP option that other modems/firmware do: it's non-parity of features, plain and simple:

This is not a failure of any kind, but OP complaining about it amounts to the equivalent of being a GWF (goober with firewall): complaining about something you believe to be concerning/alarming/horribly wrong without the slightest shred of understanding what you have in front of you.

People working for any type of Internet network-supporting organization get some good laughs out of GWFs all the time- especially when they are spewing and screaming in all directions when their firewall reported a ping from an IP they don't recognize.

momcat1

Wappingers Falls, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by cablewizzard:

There's no sync loss of the OP's modem - all you have are DHCP renew warnings because your specific modem and/or firmware does not support a DHCP option that other modems/firmware do: it's non-parity of features, plain and simple:

Ok, so if this is your position, then perhaps you can explain why every modem CV has given us has done the same thing. Either there's something wrong with their modems that can't handle the DHCP options, or maybe their infrastructure is not programmed properly. It's not like we can change the firmware on the modem.

Keep in mind that the details I posted came from the modem logs, not my firewall. I never mentioned what was going on with my firewall.

I was just trying to come to terms with why we see semi-continual brief disruption of signal.

cablewizzard

join:2009-06-14
Hicksville, NY

said by momcat1:

said by cablewizzard:

Ok, so if this is your position, then perhaps you can explain why every modem CV has given us has done the same thing. Either there's something wrong with their modems that can't handle the DHCP options, or maybe their infrastructure is not programmed properly. It's not like we can change the firmware on the modem.

Keep in mind that the details I posted came from the modem logs, not my firewall. I never mentioned what was going on with my firewall.

I was just trying to come to terms with why we see semi-continual brief disruption of signal.

Your original post states you are seeing the informational message at 17:22 every 2 days, not that you're losing sync at 17:22 every 2 days: You are confused about 2 completely separate things, and are making completely unsupported, wild guesses about it:

No, there's nothing wrong with their modems or the DHCP options - you simply DON'T customize every available DHCP extension option for every device class you have. Imagine you had to do that on your home router for every i-Device, Windows-PC or Ebook-reader: The Arris modem is chatty about 'informational' msgs, while other modems, like the Cisco DPX/DPC2203 are dead+cold on details in their logs. Guess which one I prefer. And yes, if all they've given you lately are Arris modems (TM802, 822), then you'll get the same behavior with each of them.

IF you were losing sync, your modem will re-DHCP as part of the init sequence, and you'll see the 'informational' msgs after a DHCP-DISCOVER just like after a -RENEWAL : your log would start showing the messages at different/random times, if this was the case: Arris modems do not log an unambigious "startup" event, unlike say: Motorola modems (many logs for which we've seen here over the years).

Hmm, maybe CV should turn the modems' web pages back off, so this useless chatter about technical details that go above the non-technical heads comes to an end - after all, your iPad doesn't let you see its system logs either.

momcat1

Wappingers Falls, NY

What iPad?

I don't and I won't have an i-anything, and I guess you can make your case by assuming anything you want. GIGO

xirian
Premium
join:2003-01-26
Beacon, NY

said by momcat1:

What iPad?

I don't and I won't have an i-anything, and I guess you can make your case by assuming anything you want. GIGO

you missed the point entirely.