uniqs
technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

technocar2 to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues

Re: Bell now giving unlimited usage

said by elwoodblues:

Are they on crack? They want me to pay over 90 bucks a month for Fibe 25 for unlimited,when I can (for example) get it for $78 from Teksavvy (which IMO is still WAY to pricing). I have unlimited 28/1 for $40.

Teksavvy also has dry loop fees; TSI ends up being more expensive then bell for most of the band rates for 25/10 unlimited. Also TSI has huge start up cost ($100 I think) while bell has nothing (they are waiving all fees).

Where are you getting 28/1 for $40? No TPIA offers unlimited 28/1 for $40! Acanac's $39.95 doesn't count because its a 1 year term discount and Robellus also gives generous discount on 1-3 year terms.
Samgee
join:2010-08-02
canada

Samgee

said by technocar2:

Where are you getting 28/1 for $40? No TPIA offers unlimited 28/1 for $40! Acanac's $39.95 doesn't count because its a 1 year term discount and Robellus also gives generous discount on 1-3 year terms.

The difference is, Acanac's 1 year term is not a locked in contract. You can leave at any time and get a refund for the remaining balance (monthly fee is then based on how long you were a customer). Plus Acanac is unlimited, includes a free VPN and a great referral program (1 referral = 1 free month, 10 = free service as long as you're a customer).
technocar2
Brampton, ON

technocar2

said by Samgee:

said by technocar2:

The difference is, Acanac's 1 year term is not a locked in contract. You can leave at any time and get a refund for the remaining balance (monthly fee is then based on how long you were a customer). Plus Acanac is unlimited, includes a free VPN and a great referral program (1 referral = 1 free month, 10 = free service as long as you're a customer).

It doesn't matter what the difference or technicalities of it are; you just can't use Acanac's $40 plan for comparison. Its a 1 year term discount, its not the upfront price, just like you can't use rogers 70% off discount or any other discounts for comparison.

Because if you were to compare discounted plans then rogers has cheapest unlimited plans in terms of dollars per megabit.

Acanac = $1.42 per Mbit
Bell = $1.86 per Mbit
Rogers = $0.92 per Mbit

You see there is no point in comparing discounted plans because they are discounted and are not the up front price. Acanac's $40 "might" be good, but rogers' is better!
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by technocar2:

Because if you were to compare discounted plans then rogers has cheapest unlimited plans in terms of dollars per megabit.

Acanac = $1.42 per Mbit
Bell = $1.86 per Mbit
Rogers = $0.92 per Mbit

You see there is no point in comparing discounted plans because they are discounted and are not the up front price. Acanac's $40 "might" be good, but rogers' is better!

But that's not what really matters. It's the total cost of service and Rogers has by far the most expensive service.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to technocar2

Premium Member

to technocar2
I've been paying this for the last 5yrs, it's not a "1 year deal". Grandfathered? Maybe

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx to 34764170

to 34764170
said by 34764170:

But that's not what really matters. It's the total cost of service and Rogers has by far the most expensive service.

Like I've said before, let's adopt true usage based billing. I'm sick of paying for 80GB of usage when I'm only using 20GB per month. Charge me for the 25/2 then charge me for exactly what bandwidth I use.

The consumer will decide who has the best bang for the buck.
elitefx

elitefx to technocar2

to technocar2
said by technocar2:

Thing is, all the ISPs are robbing us blind. History teaches us that the longer tech is out the cheaper it gets. We SHOULD be seeing a 5 or 10% DECREASE in our monthly bills yearly NOT the thieving increases ISPs inflict on us now.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to elitefx

to elitefx
said by elitefx:

Like I've said before, let's adopt true usage based billing. I'm sick of paying for 80GB of usage when I'm only using 20GB per month. Charge me for the 25/2 then charge me for exactly what bandwidth I use.

Sure as long as everyone gets the option of not using such a broken model.
Samgee
canada

1 edit

Samgee to technocar2

to technocar2
said by technocar2:

It doesn't matter what the difference or technicalities of it are; you just can't use Acanac's $40 plan for comparison. Its a 1 year term discount, its not the upfront price, just like you can't use rogers 70% off discount or any other discounts for comparison.

Acanac = $1.42 per Mbit
Bell = $1.86 per Mbit
Rogers = $0.92 per Mbit

How are you calculating those numbers?

The lower Acanac price is not a similar discount to Rogers, so you can't compare the two. When I pay for my next year up front, that's it. I didn't have to buy another product and I don't have to stay a customer with them. I just pay the rate and have unlimited 28/1 internet for the year. If you can't afford that price upfront that is about the only negative to this deal.

Over my 2+ years I've paid less than $40 a month for my connection (this includes installation and modem costs, reduced by my referrals). Prior to that with Rogers for the same tier (of course speeds have increased since) I was paying over twice that (including the $25, now $100, to get unlimited). Again, show your math, we may be able to find where you're going wrong and help you understand where the true deals are.
Samgee

Samgee to elitefx

to elitefx
said by elitefx:

said by 34764170:

Network costs are not based on how much you use over the month, it's how much you use at peak time. If you download those 20gb overnight or during the day you don't cost the provider anything. If you download those 20gb at peak time, you are contributing to their network costs. In fact, you downloading that small amount at peak time costs them more than someone who downloads 2tb only during off peak times.

Peak bandwidth (different from download usage) is where the costs are, so under no circumstances should usage based billing (gb over a month) ever be considered. It's absolutely nothing more than a cash grab.

elitefx
London, ON

2 edits

elitefx

said by Samgee:

Peak bandwidth (different from download usage) is where the costs are, so under no circumstances should usage based billing (gb over a month) ever be considered. It's absolutely nothing more than a cash grab.

Well, I don't care how they bill it as long as they CHANGE IT. If Rogers can sell 25/2 for $14.00/month wholesale to a TPIA then they can sell it to me for $14.00 + 20% retail.

I'm sick to death of paying a 300% markup from Rogers wholesale rates.

Rogers has a dozen different services. They ALL use the same network. We've been using the network for 60 years and paid for it 1000 times over. The network is a cash cow for Rogers.

Now I want to reap the rewards of using a network that's BOUGHT AND PAID FOR and earning Rogers millions daily.

If "network payments" earned "air miles" my household would fly for free forever.
Samgee
canada

Samgee

It looks like you're in London, so there are a few options for you if you really want to stop paying Rogers mark up.

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx

said by Samgee:

It looks like you're in London, so there are a few options for you if you really want to stop paying Rogers mark up.

Just waiting on the CRTC decision this week on tariffs and to see Rogers response to Bell's Unlimited packages........
technocar2
Brampton, ON

technocar2 to Samgee

to Samgee
The numbers are fine, my point is you can't compare discount plans.

I used the highest tier from each provider with unlimited usage factored in and highest widely available discount for each provider and rogers comes on top as always since they have the most generous discount. (for bell I just used their bundle discount, for rogers I used their still available 70% off for two years and for acanac I used $40 price for one year)

You can check all the math of you want but the point is for unlimited usage you can't beat rogers at the moment because for unlimited the only thing that matters is dollar per Mbit and rogers has that covered.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by technocar2:

I used the highest tier from each provider with unlimited usage factored in and highest widely available discount for each provider and rogers comes on top as always since they have the most generous discount. (for bell I just used their bundle discount, for rogers I used their still available 70% off for two years and for acanac I used $40 price for one year)

Not necessarily a fair comparison. Bell's bundle discount is available to everyone, and the 70% off at Rogers is only available to existing customers with more than one residential service.
Samgee
canada

Samgee to technocar2

to technocar2
said by technocar2:

The numbers are fine, my point is you can't compare discount plans.

You can check all the math of you want but the point is for unlimited usage you can't beat rogers at the moment because for unlimited the only thing that matters is dollar per Mbit and rogers has that covered.

Why do you feel that price per Mbit is all that matters. So if Rogers offered a plan with 1million up and down for a $100 000 a month, that's the best deal?

28/1 for $40 a month is an incredible deal for the current situation in Canada. Your math based on top speed tiers per Mbit is meaningless when Rogers top speed tier costs $226 a month, on top of which you need to add $100 for unlimited. Even with a discount, which doesn't reduce the overage charges, paying $160 a month for internet access is obscene.
technocar2
Brampton, ON

technocar2 to yyzlhr

to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

Not necessarily a fair comparison.

And that's exactly my point; there is no point in comparing discounts plans but if you still want to then you know who is giving the best discount at the moment. Also as far as I can remember there were some new customers who did get the 70% off while some people were rejected, so its not clear cut.
said by Samgee:

So if Rogers offered a plan with 1million up and down for a $100 000 a month, that's the best deal?

Because you couldn't disprove my math, you have to use such a ridiculous example.

When you want to compare unlimited usage plans the ONLY parameter that you can compare is dollar per Mbit, what else can you really compare? The monthly cost means nothing without context!
Samgee
canada

1 recommendation

Samgee

The point of my example was that your methodology was flawed. Just because the higher priced plan has a better price per unit doesn't make it the better deal. There are very very few things a person with a 250/250 connection can do that someone with 28/1 can't do that makes paying for the higher tier unreasonable.

Your math may work, but the question then becomes is it really worth paying over $150 a month for something when you could get a very similar service in terms of usability for $40.

If you need 250/250 then Rogers is without question the better deal (only for now since they are the only ones who can offer that). If you need volume and value over speed, Rogers is the last place you should look.

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx to yyzlhr

to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

Not necessarily a fair comparison. Bell's bundle discount is available to everyone, and the 70% off at Rogers is only available to existing customers with more than one residential service.

Yup, and that's a major problem. I'm sick of subsidizing all the Rogers groupies and their 70% off nonsense. I say cut 'em off at the knees and make 'em pay full rates and give the rest of us a break on our monthly bills.

Drop the damn rates by 25% across the board........

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by elitefx:

ha. ha. HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

Good one buddy thanks for the laugh.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by HiVolt:

said by elitefx:

ha. ha. HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

Good one buddy thanks for the laugh.

He is always good for a laugh.

34764170 (banned) to elitefx

to elitefx
said by elitefx:

You're with Rogers and you think they are going to truly do you a favour.

ROTFL. I can't stop laughing.

34764170 (banned) to technocar2

to technocar2
said by technocar2:

Oh yes, $62/month vs $152/months (Rogers). Wow, what a great deal from Rogers. Shit I should be switching to them right now.. not.