share rss forum feed

esteeze

join:2013-01-22
Birmingham, AL
reply to esteeze

Re: RG unresponsive each morning

Click for full size
Click for full size
Have the new 3801 in place now. Initial profile and bitloading looks better. Hopefully, it will be more stable.

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US
kudos:4
I would say, given your latest bitloading graph, very little doubt, you have a problem with your line. That sort of "wave" pattern is likely a bridge tap. They need to remove it, otherwise your stats will never be what they should be and you will most likely still have trouble. At 89.9% bits used, you're just barely under the line for the "likely to have little to no trouble" threshold.

waver168

join:2005-04-08
Fremont, CA
reply to esteeze
esteeze,
any update if your 3801 is still running good?
I just swapped out a 3801, my rate/profile hardly change at all, will see if anything improves the next few days.

esteeze

Birmingham, AL
Click for full size
Click for full size
3801 is going great; much more stable than the 3800.

Had techs out looking at the line today; they ended up replacing some hardware on the telephone pole.

Bitloading and specs are better (bitloading doesn't seem that much better at first glance, but line rate specs are about 2Mbps better)

Paralel

Michigan, US
I'm still suspicious of that first dip in your bitloading graph. Still looks like a possible bridge tap. Does the wire go from the pole, right into your NID, into a gel-filled protector, then right from the protector to the jack where you plug in your gateway? You want to make sure you don't have any other jacks inside your residence connected to the jack your gateway plugs in, otherwise the additional jacks can act as an internal bridge tap on your line.

esteeze

Birmingham, AL
A poster in the AT&T forum suggested that the first dip may be AM radio interference, which makes a lot of sense given that we live on top of a mountain with a lot of radio transmission/repeater towers. I would have thought the cable would have been shielded against that stuff, though.

Paralel

Michigan, US
Nope