uniqs
share rss forum feed

dhudson1984

join:2008-01-04
Charleston, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Suddenlink fiber optics!

Anyone else seen the recent commercial about Suddenlink's "advanced fiber optics"? How about sending that fiber straight to our homes since it's the only future of high speed broadband connectivity!!

Zorack

join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV
I haven't seen that commercial,and I'm afraid it will be 2525 if we are still alive before we will ever see a fiber optic roll out in this state we call West Virginia.
--
Matt Barlow Rules! Bring him back to Iced Earth! \m/

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
I never really knew how far WV. was behind in the world until I moved out of there a year and a half ago. Now in a major city with everything you can think of, except we don't have fiber here yet either. The only thing I miss is the scenery.

Cobra11M

join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX
reply to dhudson1984
fiber wont go out till its cheaper than copper its self.. then only then the cable cos will switch

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
I doubt even at that point as there are already people claiming fiber is cheaper. Really revolves around any kind of competition. Even if it costs less, it still costs more than continuing monthly cost to install. Maybe smarter in the long run, but for a corporation, harder to justify on the books.

Cobra11M

join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX
said by moldypickle:

I doubt even at that point as there are already people claiming fiber is cheaper. Really revolves around any kind of competition. Even if it costs less, it still costs more than continuing monthly cost to install. Maybe smarter in the long run, but for a corporation, harder to justify on the books.

hmm idk for sure, eventually you would have to think that the copper its self would get to expensive.. weve already been seeing it go up.. while fiber is going down.. In major citys with other choices.. I could def see cable providers switching even though they wouldn't like to.. but the spark for that switch has to happen first for any of them to ever do it

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
but the price of copper lines only REALLY comes into play when they have large chunks of the plant to repair/replace. If nothing is physically wrong w/ the copper, then it's harder to justify the new install expenditures. kinda like verizon is doing in NY now replacing the tore up sections with fiber but not the sections that are fine.

buschman

join:2000-10-28
Oak Hill, WV
kudos:1
reply to Zorack
Google needs to come to WV and solve all our internet woes, hell yea 100MB/100MB!!!

Zorack

join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV
I'd rather it be 1GB/1GB :P

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC
reply to dhudson1984
I want my connection to be so fast, it's not even something you think about, like when you flip a switch to turn on a light.
--
What the heck is a GatorKram? »www.gatorkram.com

jdmm72

join:2002-02-12
Nitro, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to dhudson1984
One of the reasons that fiber is more cost prohibitive is that you have to be specialized to terminate it correctly, but with copper, any telephone/cable guy can do it. Also, in WV, with the terrain, if you don't live very near to a fairly large city, you aren't getting the lastest and greatest, there is not enough subscribers to justify the cost.

OTOH, with cellular technology, WV is the testing ground. Why? Because our terrain is crazy, we are almost the worst case scenario. No joke, we are the test bed, studied the fact in college for my specialization in wireless communications. AT&T and Verizon use this area for range testing a lot. Think about how fast Charleston got LTE with Verizon.

Nyron

join:2007-10-09
Charleston, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to dhudson1984
I had thought there was a company in Charleston that already offers fiber to business. There was also a story about a company building a fiber network in Beckley.

I agree with the above poster, most people don't realize how difficult WV is. Having said that, I think Suddenlink has done a great job in keeping us competitive with other states (we can get 100+ mb down). It is just difficult to reach everyone in our state though.

In regards to the future, I guess it depends on how well the new DOCSIS standards perform and how important upload speeds will be.

dhudson1984

Charleston, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to dhudson1984
Lumos has their own fiber route around too and only use it for businesses. Their fiber goes up our road about 3.5 to 4 miles and ends at a school, but they won't offer residential fiber services yet. I've tried to get them to hook me up, but they wouldn't... I am the first on the list to know when they're ready though!

There's also CityNet (Headquarters in Bridgeport), which seems to be starting to grow and expand their own fiber more as well. They just received a Federal Grant a few weeks ago for their phase 1 of a FTTH/FTTB project. Phase 1 is focusing on the Central/N. Central part of the state, up aroud Clarksburg, Parkersburg, and Morgantown areas. They've said after those whole areas are complete by 2015, they're looking to hopefully expand to Charleston and surrounding areas.

benk016

join:2011-06-05
Owasso, OK
Suddenlink here in Muskogee, OK has fiber ran through at least most of the city. Both of my last 2 jobs when we've went to a business internet with them they ran it to us as fiber, and only had to run from the closest pole. No build out at all.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to dhudson1984
will wheeling and weirton get citynet fttb/ftth?

dhudson1984

Charleston, WV
reply to dhudson1984
Mike, I don't think so. At least not CityNet... they will be focusing on those areas around and near their Bridgeport Headquarters (the Central/N. Central part of the state first and head down toward Charleston.