spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

GeNomer

join:2013-01-21
Indianapolis, IN

Desktop freezing, BSoDing, and turning off

Hey guys I have this ongoing issue that has slowly been getting worse. I first noticed the issue a bit after I put an old nvidia 9600 in with my radeon 5770 for additional video out puts. I noticed that when I had two video intensive things on both of my monitors, things would get a bit laggy and Windows would disable aero.

I thought maybe it was having 2 different cards that caused it, so I got just a single 7870 and installed it. This stopped Windows from disabling aero, but now when I had say, a game on one screen and chrome with a youtube video on the other the whole system would start skipping. Everything would freeze, including sound, for a split second and this would happen constantly if there was stuff on both screens.

So then I thought maybe I need to overclock a bit to increase performance. I used the AMD Vision Engine Control Center utility and tried first overclocking the graphics card. This didn't seem to help. Framerates in games went up, but still had skipping. Then I tried overclocking the cpu and this seemed to make things worse. While playing Fifa 13 and watching youtube everything freezes for like 5-10 seconds and this happened every 2-3 minutes. I had a cpu activity moniter running and it showed all 6 cores maxed out for a split second after unfreezing then they would go back down. This happened 5 or 6 times and then I got the blue screen of death. Here are the two problem reports Windows had for this.

This was for Windows shut down unexpectedly:
Source
Windows

Summary
Shut down unexpectedly

Date
1/29/2013 1:09 AM

Status
Report sent

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: a0000001
BCP1: 0000000000000005
BCP2: 0000000000000000
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1
Bucket ID: X64_0xA0000001_atikmdag+2311c
Server information: bd652f93-295c-4f3d-b99f-d57a787de193

This is for Video hardware error:

Source
Windows

Summary
Video hardware error

Date
1/29/2013 1:09 AM

Status
Not reported

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem
WD-20130128-0152.dmp
sysdata.xml
WERInternalMetadata.xml

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 117
BCP1: FFFFFA800D313010
BCP2: FFFFF880046AB410
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Then today I had was watching youtube on one screen and just web browsing on the other. I noticed the youtube video starting to lag and tried to pull up cpu and gpu monitoring software, but the whole computer shutdown before I could. There was no blue screen, no error message. The computer was completely off, no fans running. Windows did not have a problem report for this.

Sorry this is so long, I just figure too much info is better than not enough. I appreciate any help you guys can give. Here are my current specs:

Windows 7
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
ATI Radeon HD 7870
16GB DDR3
Raidmax 730w RX-730SS

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

To be honest, the minidumps at a minimum would be helpful.
Do you know where they are, and if so can you post them?

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to GeNomer
Though it is far better than it used to be. I really don't recommend using cards from multiple (GPU) vendors they always seem to bump heads somewhere down the line.

I would check your voltage levels when the machine starts to bog down along with processor heat.

Finally be absolutely sure you are using the latest driver from AMD and the nvidia driver is completely removed.

GeNomer

Indianapolis, IN
reply to norwegian
download012913-57813-01.zip 21,798 bytes
I think I got it, is this what you need?

GeNomer

Indianapolis, IN
reply to Aranarth
For CPU Core temp seems to be around 68-69C. Voltage is at 1.378.
GPU is around 42C and voltage seems to mostly be at 0.900, but it does go up to 1.2xx from time to time along with an increase in GPU core clock, but it doesn't appear to happen when everything starts freezing. I checked and I do have the nvidia driver removed.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 edit
I think Aranarth is on the right path.
Uninstall all drivers. Run CCleaner, both the temp cleaner but more importantly, the registry cleaner and mack sure you save a backup of the reg clean, just as a precaution.
If you want you can also re-seat the 9800 without an ati card, install nvidia again, reboot then uninstall the package, then reboot. Run CCLeaner from piriform, both the cleaner and reg cleaner.
Also uninstall the video card in device manager at this point.
Remove this card then replace it with your 7870.
Check the seating of the card and also your memory sticks too.
Install only the latest ATI drivers package, I know earlier ati diver packs for the latest cards caused some issues and the latest package fixes those. Reboot.
Run memory tests on the RAM using memtest86+ as the BSOD suggests there could be memory issues. If you find there is errors, remove 1 stick at a time till you stop getting errors to find which stick is faulty.

I don't think you need to run video memory tests on a new card but if you still don't see a fix we can look at it too.

Let us know how you go.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
reply to GeNomer
said by GeNomer:

I think I got it, is this what you need?

Is that the only dump file you've got?

This is what most likely caused this one BSOD:

On Tue 1/29/2013 6:06:40 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\012913-57813-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0x2311C)
Bugcheck code: 0xA0000001 (0x5, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys .

GeNomer

Indianapolis, IN
reply to GeNomer
I ran the CCleaner and did the memtest86+ and it passed. I checked that I had the latest driver, but I was googling and saw something saying that with the atikmdag.sys driver there was a problem where windows would for some reason keep using the old version of it. So I tried to rename and replace it in my drivers folder. Now I get a BSoD during boot. I am in the process of making a windows install disk on my other computer so I can fix things in recovery console hopefully.

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
reply to GeNomer
I think you should still be able to boot into safe mode and from there you can rename the file back to original

GeNomer

Indianapolis, IN
For some reason Windows didn't give me the option, but I was able to rename it in recovery console.

GeNomer

Indianapolis, IN
I'm going to try putting my old 5770 in and see if I get issues with it. It seems like there's a graphics issue here, but I don't understand why my cpu usage goes crazy during these freezes.

GeNomer

Indianapolis, IN
Okay, I tried to be extra thorough to get rid of all graphics drivers and then reinstalled my old 5770 with the latest drivers. I am still getting the same freezing problem. In addition, the computer is now no longer detecting one of my hard drives and the side panel case fan is no longer running. Maybe this is all a power issue? I don't have another desktop power supply that I can switch out to test with. Anyone know how I would test/look into this?

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to GeNomer
The way you test it is to go to Best Buy and get yourself a new power supply. You test it. If it works, great, leave it in. If it doesn't work, you return it.

However, I know you said you were "extra careful" and you ran Ccleaner, but I highly recommend you actually run Drive Sweeper on this thing first. Drive Sweeper is one of the best utilities specifically designed for assuring you get all those old video drivers off there. It's one of the best and it works like a charm.

GeNomer

Indianapolis, IN
haha, okay I think I have a false alarm on the power supply issue. I have a modular power supply and a cord was knocked loose probably while swapping cards. I will give the Drive Sweeper a try.