spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MURICA

join:2013-01-03
reply to urbanriot

Re: Giganews less reliable, best alternative?

said by urbanriot:

said by AndrewW:

A side note concerning Giganews: I read a post from an individual representing copyright holders lavishing great praise on Giganews for their unswerving and extreme dedication to copyright protection. If the copyright holders are praising Giganews, you have to wonder if that's a provider who will be able to serve your Usenet needs in the future.

The problem is, the older items I'm searching for aren't DMCA takedown responses. I strongly feel that Giganews claim of high retention is bullshit as the posts are there, there's just too many missing to assemble binaries whereas a DMCA response would be a full out removal. It's basically 1/3 attempts are no good around the 1000+ mark.

Or in other words, Giganews might be blaming DMCA takedown requests for their own inability to provide the retention they claim.

I don't know what has happened to Giganews. They used to be the gold standard for completion (aside from DMCA takedowns which were obvious 90%+ removed articles).

Now anything older than 800 days it seems is missing lots of pieces on their servers, maybe 10-20%. Just enough to put it past the point of repairability as many did not generate PAR2 sets larger than 10%.

I had a Supernews sub and an Astraweb sub running side by side for a while back and on anything old Astraweb would have to fill in a bunch of pieces. There was a lot of stuff too broken to repair on Supernews.

I know Astraweb has a couple of sectors in their back retention for a few weeks where they shit the bed but aside from those areas they seem way more reliable than Giganews. Astraweb has heavy incompletion for a chunk of maybe 100-200 days... Giganews has heavy incompletion for anything past the 800 day mark (years).

Perhaps Giganews has lost so many subscribers to the cheaper offerings of Astraweb that they can no longer afford to maintain a reliable server farm.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

said by MURICA:

Now anything older than 800 days it seems is missing lots of pieces on their servers, maybe 10-20%. Just enough to put it past the point of repairability as many did not generate PAR2 sets larger than 10%.

Exactly! You did a better job of explaining it than I did. I wonder why they hold onto massive amounts of broken data if it's so useless... maybe so they can falsely advertise a high retention?

Since my above post, I've gone the following route:

Highwinds - my ISP, Cogeco, offers this with my internet package
Supernews (a Giganews reseller)
Astraweb - used a click-deal on a site to get a year for $96

Basically the new addition is Astraweb and I've been able to snag piles of stuff I couldn't get before and I'm paying about the same as I was paying using just Giganews.