how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Eumaeus

join:2009-12-10
Yorktown, VA

[Battle Pets] All Things WoWkémon

Seeing as its a slow day and I'd love to have more conversations to distract me... Pet Battles.

Shall we start with what your max level team is and how far along the trainer progression you are?

My 1st Team:
Terrible Turnip lvl 25
Small Frog lvl 25
Red Cricket lvl 25

I've finished Eastern Kingdom, Outland and Northrend trainers. Haven't really started the Cataclysm trainers yet, as I'd like to explore some better / alternate team setups.

Definitely starts to feel like trainers are unbeatable if their types happen to end up being strong against your first team's.
--
Eumaeus, Guardian/Feral PvP Druid
GM - Lux ex Tenebris - Sargeras | Alliance
[6/6] MSV [6/6] HoF [3/4] ToES

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2
I don't pet battle...But I do plan on starting once I get my computer and stuff in Japan.

A dude in my old guild has 577 pets...that's a lot, right?

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
said by McBrain:

I don't pet battle...But I do plan on starting once I get my computer and stuff in Japan.

A dude in my old guild has 577 pets...that's a lot, right?

The question is how many of them are duplicates? If I recall correctly, there are only around 460 unique pets (though, many do share the same model, they have different names) in the game.
--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
According to his bnet page, he's got 455 unique pets...55 not collected.

So I guess there's 510 unique pets?

Like I said, I don't know much about them since pet battling was never an interest of mine.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

Arsinic

join:2011-02-17
Ruffs Dale, PA
kudos:1
reply to Eumaeus
Apparently there is a battle pets progress site out there... There is a guy in my guild, who is a meh raider, but gosh golly is he into pet battles.. He's supposedly in the top 1% of pet battlers in the world, whatever that means.. I recall him claiming he has more level 25 pets than anyother person in the guild has pets.. silly jobless stoners..

Eumaeus

Yorktown, VA
reply to Eumaeus
I think I'm up to 283 unique collected or so. I haven't collected the Northrend/Cataclysm/Pandaria pets and I'm missing a handful on Eastern Kingdoms / Kalimdor.

Feeding a pet biscuit to a shardhorn rhino pet makes him larger than most hunter pets. Little things like this amuse me.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to Eumaeus
I'm stuck on the pet quests in northrend.

the undead guy and the dragonkin one beat me.

I have the following lvl25's
LIL'ragnos (rare quality, blue)
Mini-thor (rare quality, blue)
Cinder kitten (rare quality, blue)
Kitty (aka feline familiar) (uncommon quality, green)
and I think one more

I level them by first getting them to lvl5 in sw then go to pandaria, let the lvl5 attack once then pull out Kitty.

I'm hoping to get a stone to upgrade kitty to rare quality.

I ended up buying a Terrible Turnip off the AH because I couldn't get the seed to drop from farming.
--
»Death Star Petition

BG5150

join:2008-08-14
New York, NY
reply to Eumaeus
ATM I have 77 pets, 68 unique, 42 rare (blue) and 12 uncommon (green) the rest common.

Well, 2 poor, which I'll release one of these days

Eumaeus

Yorktown, VA
reply to Eumaeus
Leveling your 2nd sets of pets becomes SUPER easy once you've cleared a few continent's trainers and they become dailies. The trainer fights just give a TON of exp. If you go battle the Eastern Kingdom / Kalimdor and Outland trainers using two lvl 25's and one lvl 3-5+ then you can get multiple level ups per fight.

What I've done is pick a 2nd team of 3 pets and take turns letting each of them join a trainer battle with the 25's.

After 3 days of doing EK / Outland daily trainers my next 3 pets are all lvl 19. The whole set of daily trainers take roughly 45 min - 1 hour to fly around and clear.

2nd Team:
Mana Wrymling
Ghostly Skull
Tranquil Mechanical Yeti

I've even been lucky enough to find flawless battle stones to upgrade my mana wymling and yeti to rares!
--

Eumaeus

Yorktown, VA
reply to Eumaeus
For any that may not know, Terrible Turnip is absolutely amazing for capturing lower level pets. One of his abilities cannot reduce an enemy below 1 hp. Also, the sunlight weather effect he creates increases the max (but not current) hp of all pets by 50%, meaning in round 1 you can have all pets down to 66% health at "full" normal hp. This really speeds up getting them low enough to trap.

PC Doc 54
aka fcapes
Premium
join:2000-10-28
Middle Island, NY
reply to Eumaeus
If you're into the pets thing, there is a site »www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/index/ with all kinds of info, lists of the top collectors etc.
--
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul

Venom1

join:2011-10-21
Augusta, GA
reply to Eumaeus
I'd love to spend more time doing pet battles; the mathematical portion of finding the "perfect" mix of defensive vs. offensive boosts is intrigueing. But i just don't have enough time with dailies, LFR, raiding, farming, gearing an alt, being broke, wife, kids, work, and sleep. Those priorities are listed in order.
--
For Rogues, by Rogues, to be used at the Rogue drive through when you order a side-order of Rogue.

Eumaeus

Yorktown, VA
At least in 5.2 you'll be able to get Lesser Charms from pet battles. I intend to make those my only dailies. So tired of the normal daily grind...

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
I have over 1400 lesser charms, would be nice if I could trade some for the upgrade stones.
--
»Death Star Petition

Eumaeus

Yorktown, VA
reply to Eumaeus
Pet Battle Fact: Even though you only need to complete either Taming Eastern Kingdoms (Alliance) OR Taming Kalimdor (Horde) for the main achievement, you can do both - and even while playing your own faction.

If you are mainly Alliance, you must pick up the quest to defeat the Horde trainers while playing on a Horde character. The actual trainers, however, can be fought by either faction so long as you have the account-wide quest to challenge them.

This gave me something to do while trying to find a damned giraffe calf in southern barrens on my alliance character. One day...
--

Eumaeus

Yorktown, VA
reply to Eumaeus
I'm exceptionally distracted this morning, so I think I'll add another thing to the thread that will hopefully be enjoyable. If you enjoy it, throw in one too.

Featured Pet: Chrominius (Dragon type)
Source: Drops from Chromaggus in BWL

What stands out most to me for Chrominius is the combination of Howl and Surge of Power. Howl will debuff the enemy causing them to take 100% more damage for two rounds. Surge of Power is a 3-round ability that is a massive attack followed by two rounds of locked "recovery" where the pet cannot act or be swapped.

By using Chrominius in the later part of a pet battle, Howl + Surge of Power will safely 1-shot (or nearly 1-shot) most similar level pets. As long as it ends the battle, the 2 rounds of recovery are negligible.

For added affect, try combining this with Ghostly Skull, who at lvl 20+ may sacrifice himself to give all of your pets a 25% damage buff for 9 rounds!
--

Cake
Premium
join:2009-09-29
united state
reply to Eumaeus
I ran into time issues for scheduled play recently so have been doing pet battles.

I completed all of the Tamers with the below pets:

Celestial Dragon
Guardian Cub
Soul of the Aspects

This combo worked quite well, Major Payne was a major pain but doable.

I am leveling a new team via PvP pet battles, so far the comp has been pretty effective.

Silver Dragonhawk (speed breed id)
Yellow Moth
Winter Helper

(all three were battle-stoned to rare)

Eumaeus

Yorktown, VA
Do you happen to know off-hand what abilities are on the Soul of the Aspects? I've purchased the big version (mount) of that dragon, but hadn't looked into the pet yet.

I'd heard good things about the Celestial Dragon from others and every time I come across a bear cub they seem to be some of the stronger beast type mobs.

stvnbrs
Premium
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC
kudos:5
reply to Eumaeus
I just got one of the pets from Twin Emperors yesterday. AQ40 is now soloable to include C'thun btw. Did it as Frost DK. Anubiseth Idol I believe it is called.
--
Goggalor: "Freedom of speech is not freedom of asshattery."

Eumaeus

Yorktown, VA
For anyone trying to get the AQ-40 pets that doesn't have frost damage (required to kill Viscidus), you can finish him off by carrying a spare weapon with a frost damage enchant, such as the newer elemental force.

I'm about half way done getting my old dungeon pets. I usually see 2-4 drop if I clear MC/BWL/AQ40 and Naxx.

I want my Mr. Bigglesworth!
--

stvnbrs
Premium
Cary, NC
reply to Eumaeus
A question on battle pets: I have 3 Strand Crawlers already, and just got another. Is there a way I can sell one of the three I have to use the fourth or should I just delete it? I was hoping to make some gold off it. I have so many duplicate pets, it isn't funny. Not sure how I can clean them up.
--

Eumaeus

Yorktown, VA
Some pets can be crated up (turned into an item in your inventory) and sold like any other item on the AH. Wild pets cannot be crated and if I recall some others (like those bought from the guild vendor) cannot either.

But most other pets that you get from drops / purchase / blizz store etc. can be sold.

Whenever you crate one your X / 3 will go down as if you had unacquired it and you can then learn another. I'm not sure how well they actually sell but on Sargeras lvl 25 pets are always up on the AH for like 3-10k+ depending on rarity.

I've been thinking about training and selling some for profit. Really doesn't take long to power a single pet to 25 after you have a few 25's and daily trainer battles.
--

stvnbrs
Premium
Cary, NC
I don't have any pets beyond lvl 2 or 3. Do you need to have a crate item or something in order to crate a pet or is it just an option? What about soulbound pets, will crating them remove that?
--

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
It's just an option. Right-click the pet and if it is crateable, you'll have the option.
--
Intelligence is no substitute for Character.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to stvnbrs
captured pets aren't crate-able.

Unique pets aren't ether.

But in game bought pets are, IE darkmoon turtle. (if it'll let you have more than one and its not a captured pet it's likely crate-able.)

to get to lvl5 just keep killing stuff in SW/ORG plenty of pets to battle and if they die you can easily get to the stable master.
--
»Death Star Petition

stvnbrs
Premium
Cary, NC
What happens at lvl 5?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
the pets in SW don't give any more XP

Cake
Premium
join:2009-09-29
united state
reply to Eumaeus
Soul of Aspects has a reflect ability. It is useful when timed right to reflect back burst hits or the abilities that drop after a few rounds. It also has a DPS ability that has a chance to stun.

Eumaeus

Yorktown, VA
reply to stvnbrs
I think he means just to get started on leveling the pets since you'd mentioned yours were still lvl 2/3.

The first trainer in Elwynn forest has two lvl 2 snakes and should be pretty easy to beat with any set of lvl 2-3 pets. Using critters at lvl 2 would naturally make that fight a bit harder.

Trainer battles reward a huge amount of exp, so during your early pet battle career be sure to use the pets you most want leveled when facing one of the trainers. You won't be able to battle them again until you've beaten all the trainers on the continent, at which point they all become daily battles.
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
At lvl5 SW pets won't reward any more XP, so you have to move on to the next zone.

though by this point elwynn is really easy so you can consider just beating the trainer and moving to the next zone.
--
»Death Star Petition