spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Lburg
@bellsouth.net

Lburg

Anon

How to detect signal

I had the local wireless internet provider come out and see if i could get service. The signal strength was something like 69 dBi and they said I needed 82 dBi (if I remember correctly) so I can't get internet. I plan on getting an antenna mast to mount on my roof and I don't know how tall I need. Is there a way I could get some type of equipment to detect the signal so I could experiment and see how tall an antenna mast I need. I don't want to steal internet just see if it is there. I believe the frequency is 2.4 Ghz. I have called the WISP and their answer is I don't know.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak

Premium Member

said by Lburg :

I had the local wireless internet provider come out and see if i could get service. The signal strength was something like 69 dBi and they said I needed 82 dBi (if I remember correctly) so I can't get internet. I plan on getting an antenna mast to mount on my roof and I don't know how tall I need. Is there a way I could get some type of equipment to detect the signal so I could experiment and see how tall an antenna mast I need. I don't want to steal internet just see if it is there. I believe the frequency is 2.4 Ghz. I have called the WISP and their answer is I don't know.

Probably best in the wireless users forum.

You probably have it reversed, you had -82db, and they want -69db.

-82 is a good long way from -69db. You can buy equipment to detect signals, but they should have given you a recommendation on what to do, how high to go, a simple mast on the roof might not be enough, and you can only go so high with those (8 feet) in a tripod without guying it off.

Id also be weary of a WISP that answers your questions with "I dont know". Id see if you can get someone back to tell you what you need to do.

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT to Lburg

to Lburg
Does not make sense. -82 is weaker than -69. Could you have your numbers reversed?
Chessie3
join:2011-02-02
united state

Chessie3 to Lburg

to Lburg
Like the others said. Those numbers are reversed most likely and the span between them could be difficult. When we test we actually will go 20 feet or more above the roof line. That way we know if a tripod is an option or if not then the customer at least has an answer on how high is needed with a tower to get service. Some customers have searched out there own antenna towers (used) and installed them for us. We come back climb them and install.

If you willing to go through the work of installing an antenna tower then tell them so and let them know you just need to know how high it needs to be.

If they are not willing to discuss those options with you my advice would be not to pursue internet through them.
raytaylor
join:2009-07-28

raytaylor to Lburg

to Lburg
If they had line of sight, a mast probably wont help.
You could just be too far away from the transmitter (miles)
public
join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA

public

said by raytaylor:

If they had line of sight, a mast probably wont help.
You could just be too far away from the transmitter (miles)

No such thing.
Additional 20dB antenna gain would remedy the problem.
raytaylor
join:2009-07-28

raytaylor

said by public:

No such thing.

Lol thats one huge ass dish
kc9sqr
join:2011-11-10
Rockford, IL

kc9sqr

Or one REALLY REALLY long yagi / bird perch...
lol
kc9sqr

kc9sqr to raytaylor

to raytaylor
said by raytaylor:

said by public:

No such thing.

At risk of starting a debate (that is NOT my intention though), I wanted to reply with a more serious answer..

Ham's actually do use 2.4ghz for "moonbouncing" signals, It's also referred to as "EME" for Earth Moon Earth..

Granted it's a whole different ballgame shooting a signal over ground vs the perfect line of sight example I have given.. But with the rather intense and sometimes huge antenna's or antenna arrays, it can be done..
public
Santa Clara, CA

public to raytaylor

to raytaylor
said by raytaylor:

said by public:

No such thing.

Just modest 2ft size, depending on frequency.
»www.streakwave.com/itemd ··· ic=RCL-2

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak

Premium Member

said by public:

said by raytaylor:

said by public:

No such thing.

Just modest 2ft size, depending on frequency.
»www.streakwave.com/itemd ··· ic=RCL-2

I think it was "additional 20db" on top of whatever 2.4ghz antenna he used for his site survey.
public
Santa Clara, CA

public

said by Inssomniak:

I think it was "additional 20db" on top of whatever 2.4ghz antenna he used for his site survey.

2ft dish adds about 20db to 12cm 8dBi patch at 2.4GHz
rfnut
Premium Member
join:2002-04-27
Fisher, IL

rfnut to Lburg

Premium Member

to Lburg
I can easily understand any serious company stating what the customer interprets as "I do not know" simply because they really do not know. They are never going to know and they do not want to know. You can keep asking but they really do not know. They are politely saying your not in a serviceable area. I can see the next post.
I put up a 100 foot tower, cause my "whatever" said signal was there and they still won't hook me up.

I know you want service, but I think you have been told they will not provide service there, and may have to accept it.

DaDawgs
Premium Member
join:2010-08-02
Deltaville, VA

DaDawgs to raytaylor

Premium Member

to raytaylor
said by raytaylor:

said by public:

No such thing.

Um no. A 24 dbi 2.4 GHz grid dish is about 30" x 24" and weighs about 5 pounds...

A 27 dBi solid Parabolic at 5.8 GHz is about 20" in diameter and weighs about a pound...