spc
Search similar:

uniqs
rocks911
join:2012-06-05
Garland, TX

rocks911

The RG6 Compression fitting blues

So in my continuing effort to update my home network I am running a drop of RG6 Quad (its what I had on hand) to a bedroom.
I got the drop in and went to HD and got a coax stripper and compression tool. Both are brand name Klein tools. I got a package of 10 Ideal RG-6 compression connectors.

I got home and have been unable to get this to work. I use the stripper and it gives me a 2-level cut of the RG6 (5/16" x 1/4") and I work the shielding (wire braiding and foil) down. I push one of the compression connectors onto the prepped cable, get to a resistance point and insert the connector and cable into the compression tool give er a squeeze and I get a compression fitted cable.

Unfortunately the inner white plastic core that is supposed to be up around the throat of the connector with the inner wire poking through is still way down in the connector.

Are these things not supposed to be kinda universal?
I havent had to apply a coax cable end for decades (when I last did it wasnt nearly as fancy as the compression fitting, the end was just crimped on) so I'm feeling pretty stupid, whats the deal?

The compression connector and the stripping tool both indicate the same cuts are being made as needed but after compressing the result is not what its supposed to be.

Who thought that I'd shoot away a whole morning on an RG6 connector!?
nfotiu
join:2009-01-25

nfotiu

Sounds like you got the Rg6 connectors, and you need the RG6 Quad connectors as that cable is thicker

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to rocks911

to rocks911
A whole morning down the tubes, plus materials, what a great idea to not pay verizon to do it for a measly $54.99 lol

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

aaronwt to rocks911

Premium Member

to rocks911
You can get RG6 connectors that work with dual shield and quad shield. This is what we sue at work. Much easier than carrying around two types of connectors.
rocks911
Garland, TX

rocks911 to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
Thanks for that nfotiu, right you are.

I managed to work out the compression fittings, but need advice on a splitter. I have a 6 way splitter that Verizon installed, a PDI Mega Splitter (PDI 6WMVS-5) and I currently have all the outputs occupied (Heres where it would have been helpful if Verizon had installed a bigger splitter) so I need to run to another splitter. I have a Dynex DX-AD114 5-2050 MHz 4 way and a Regal GRS2DGH 5-1000MHz 2 way, can I use either of these?

Thanks for any non-rhetorical sarcastic remarks that could help me.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

Why would Verizon install an unnecessary
"bigger splitter" in order to introduce more signal loss?

Nobody can give you any perfect advice here, there is signal loss with amount of splits, and length of coax.

Forget that Dynex. If youre adding just one outlet, pull off the current shortest coax run from 6way and put that on the 2way along with your new run.

Hopefully theres nothing wrong with your 2way splitter, verizon would know if a splitter is defective in 60 seconds. You will have to figure it out over time with TV usage. Scroll through your channels , and test on-demand.
rocks911
Garland, TX

rocks911

Thanks for the advice on the Dynex splitter Italian, I have a splitter coming from verizon, I'll just wait for it to be delivered.

You asked "Why would Verizon install an unnecessary
"bigger splitter" in order to introduce more signal loss?"

I have a 5 bedroom home with 2 living rooms and a mancave, the reason seems obvious why I would want Verizon to have installed a splitter sufficient to cover my entire house. Is it unreasonable to expect that maybe 8 drops be connected in a 3500 Sq. Ft. house?
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

If there was not tv or a router in the rooms when FiOS was installed then the installer would have had no reason to install a bigger splitter and as was stated, the more splits, the bigger the signal loss.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926 to rocks911

to rocks911
A very long run connected to an 8 way, opposed to a 6 can put the signal just beyond an acceptable low point. Again, depends on length of coax. You dont have to wait for the VZ splitter, even a new splitter can be defective. If the Regal is marked 5-1000 mhz, it should be adequate. Like I said, if any of the runs are SHORT, put them onto the 2way out of the 6.

Good luck.
blue_trooper
join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA

blue_trooper to kes601

to kes601
said by kes601:

If there was not tv or a router in the rooms when FiOS was installed then the installer would have had no reason to install a bigger splitter and as was stated, the more splits, the bigger the signal loss.

I know it varies by ONT but when I got mine installed (2006) the signal out of the ONT was so strong they put attenuators on the line. The same result could be managed by using a 'too big' splitter.

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

said by blue_trooper:

said by kes601:

I know it varies by ONT but when I got mine installed (2006) the signal out of the ONT was so strong they put attenuators on the line. The same result could be managed by using a 'too big' splitter.

Attenuators were used when VZ was supplying an analog signal. That has not been the case for several years now.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Why would Verizon install an unnecessary
"bigger splitter" in order to introduce more signal loss?

In my initial installation they installed an eight-way splitter even though I only needed it in three locations. The signal from the ONT is very hot which is why he put the eight-way splitter in. I can split the signal several more times after that eight way splitter and still have no issues.
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601 to PoloDude

to PoloDude
Ahh, didn't know it was due to the analog signal. Good to know.

ITALIAN926

2 edits

ITALIAN926 to aaronwt

to aaronwt
LOL Go ahead split it "several more times" after that 8 way.

You want to start with 11-12db on an 8, then add SEVERAL more after that. Lets be generous and assume youre talking about "several" 2 way splitters with 3.5 to 4 dB loss on each port. How many is "several" ? Lets just say 2. 12dB + 8 dB is ~20dB of loss. I HOPE all your TV's are in arms length to the ONT, because we must consider about 6dB /100 feet of rg6 coax. Shall we even mention how temperature can negatively affect these numbers as well?

FYI, depending on distance, adding ANY splitters after an 8 puts the signal BELOW what Verizon rates as acceptable, and is a recipe for pixilation and/or missing channels.