how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BusterLV0

join:2010-12-22
Las Vegas, NV

[Windows] 25 Meg DSL Hardware Question

Just a quick question on 25 MEG DSL from Centurlink, or DSL in general. I will be getting 25 MEG DSL on Saturday and was wondering if anybody has an opinion if I should go with their standard modem-wireless router or switch to a dedicated modem with a router seperate. I have heard that using the single setup from the vendor can cause issues when you stream HD or are using multiple platforms at 1 time do to the internal processor trying to stream to multiple comps. While running the seperate modem and router setup allows better processing and flow through the system to each comp/connection. I don't know...

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
Baloney.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
reply to BusterLV0
If you use their router, then you are stuck with their firmware and settings. If you use your own router then you can go with something like Tomato or DD-WRT firmware and have total control of your network.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5

1 recommendation

Suggest that if you do have a choice of what the ISP gives you then opt for the modem-router that can act in bridge mode and thus allows you to do all the routing through your own router. If your asking should I choose an ISP that gives me the flexibility to do the above or just provides a Modem, my answer would be yup.

I prefer to select my own router and wifi devices. The ISP provided routers are often stuck at an initial or fixed firmware release and are hard to get upgraded. Their modem-router often has some sort of direct linkage back to the ISP and I prefer my setup and equipment be separate from their fingers. Finally, I prefer to setup my router in my own location vice having it where the ISP puts it, often ina basement or garage near the electrical panel.

All to say, is that one who cries baloney usually eats baloney and I prefer a caesar salad, a decent glass of wine accompanying some tender asparagus sprinkled with a spicy dressing containing pistachio nuts, potatoes au gratin, and of course a tender succulent roast beef.
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to BusterLV0
I agree with everything Anav wrote, except that I don't drink wine or eat pistachios.

Anav, now is your chance to edit your post to have it say something absurd about how you love Zyxel and think that everybody should immediately throw out what they have and switch over en masse.
--
db

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
Clarke, I cannot be blaimed for your poisoning due to some gawdawful $2 bottle of purple baby duck, and sub-par culinary exposure.

As for what was that company ZYXEL, yes, well they are not the panacea for all the ills of the world but they do have their place in networking equipment. What is important is that we understand the requirements and then can discuss design solutions etc. Requirements are never straightforward and are often very personalized.

--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:19
.... in your case, we know where that is, right Anav? nudge nudge

Regards