spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

leiolanisad

@comcast.net

[Scam] Tenant Verified Scam

Someone is placing apartment/condo add on Craigslist EVERYWHERE in the US. The wording they are using is as followed:

The property is a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath with garage and washer and dryer. Dogs and cats are allowed with a $100 cleaning charge.

Requirements to rent our property are as follows:

1. A copy of your drivers license
2. 1st months rent and optional fee for pets
3. Lease Agreement, I'll bring this to the showing
(Options are month to month, 6 month or one year)
4. Background check for each applicant

The service we use is Tenant Verified, here is a link.

This is an easy way for me to screen applicants based on previous addresses and employment information. If you have a criminal record or poor rental history, I am flexible and I'll work with you.

Contact me when you have your background check. It is in a .pdf, you can print it and bring to the showing or email it to me. I am looking for real tenants not window shoppers or tire kickers, right now I have 3 rental properties and a full-time job.

What's the best contact number for you? Are you available tomorrow?

Enjoy your Tuesday!

Leida Gruesbeck

Once you click on link it tells you to use for tenant background it places you on their fraud website. When you charge your card they don't take $39.95 they take $3,995! How can I shut their website down? After seeing google looks to me they are truly traveling with this. How is it possible after having so many reports, complaints? Why are they NOT in jail?? Using a merchant machine it take 3 working days for money to get in their account which is direct deposit. Once it is wired it should be known who and where to catch them? Please help me shut this website down.

mystical

@rr.com

I received this today too, however it went straight to spam.

Hey!

The property is a 2 bedroom 2.0 bath with garage and full size washer and dryer. Pets are accepted with a $100 additional deposit.

1. Drivers license
2. 1st months rent and optional pet fee
3. Rental Agreement, I will bring this to the viewing
(Options are month-to-month, 6 month or a 1 year lease)
4. Completed background check for each applicant

The provider we use is Tenant Verified, here is a link.

This is an easy way for me to screen applicants based on prior rental history and job history. If you have a criminal record or bad tenant history, I am flexible and I will work with you.

Contact me when you've completed your background check. It is in a .pdf, you can print it and bring to the viewing or email it to me. I am looking for real tenants not window shoppers or tire kickers, right now I have 3 rentals and a full-time job.

What is the best contact number for you? Are you available tomorrow?

Enjoy your Wednesday!

Roy Poetter

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to leiolanisad

depends on the merchant they are using. I see it as a red flag if they are having me do my own background check, and another red flag if they are sending me to their site. a potential landlord usually handles all that stuff.

is this text you are posting is what is in the ad or what you are getting in the subsequent email?
--
| map your city |

confused

@sbcglobal.net
reply to leiolanisad

Hey Rental hunters!
I as well have responded to this craigslist posting and received this email below in my spam folder. The recipient email looks official with a yahoo.com email address. Would hate to miss an opportunity at $475 a month rent for what looks like a nice place....pictures were included as well as a map, but no address? I did not click on link instead typed in link given and found this. How do we know it is a scam and if it is how do these people get away with this constantly through Craigslist?
My name was not used in email, my daughters was, but my name was used in salutation in email sent by them. Also included a phone #to contact me, yet they sent an email to contact them?? I am looking for real renters not standoff scammers!
Email below is almost identical to what you all are getting?

The property is a 2 bedroom 2.5 bath with garage and washer and dryer. Dogs and cats are allowed with a $100 pet fee.

Requirements to lease our property are as follows:

1. A copy of your ID
2. First months rent and optional fee for pets
(It is month-to-month, 6 month or a 1 year lease)

This is an easy way for me to screen applicants based on previous addresses and employment information. If you have a criminal record or bad rental history, I am flexible and I'll help you out.

Contact me once you've completed your background check. It is in a .pdf, you can print it and bring to the showing or email it to me. I am looking for real tenants not window shoppers or tire kickers, I have 3 rental properties and a full time job.

What is the best contact number for you? Are you available tomorrow?

Enjoy your Wednesday!

Peggy Dipaolo

Rentahunter

@optonline.net
reply to leiolanisad

Just received the same

Hi Marie,

The property is a 2 bedroom 2.0 bath with garage and washer and dryer. Dogs and cats are allowed with a $100 additional deposit.

The requirements to rent our property are the following:

3. Lease Agreement, I will bring this to the viewing

This is an affordable way for me to screen applicants based on previous tenant history and job history. If you have a criminal record or bad tenant history, I'm flexible and I will help you out.

Contact me once you've completed your background check. It is in a .pdf, you can print it and bring to the viewing or email it to me. I'm looking for real tenants not window shoppers or tire kickers, right now I have 3 rentals and a full-time job.

Enjoy your Thursday!

Christiana Brizuela

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to leiolanisad

tenant verified scam *please read* -
»monthtomonthrentals.net/month-to···se-read*

$700 BEWARE OF TENANT VERIFIED (sarasota)
»sarasota.craigslist.org/apa/3534747213.html

$500 / 2br - 1000ft² - Scammers Using www.tenantverified.com (Daytona)
»daytona.craigslist.org/apa/3517767649.html

»whois.domaintools.com/tenantverified.com
Registration Service Provided By: Namecheap.com
Visit: http://namecheap.com

Domain name: tenantverified.com

Registrant Contact:
   WhoisGuard
   WhoisGuard Protected ()

Fax: 
   11400 W. Olympic Blvd. Suite 200
   Los Angeles, CA 90064
   US

Administrative Contact:
   WhoisGuard
   WhoisGuard Protected ()
   +1.6613102107
   Fax: +1.6613102107
   Los Angeles, CA 90064
   US

Technical Contact:
   WhoisGuard
   WhoisGuard Protected ()
   +1.6613102107
   Fax: +1.6613102107
   Los Angeles, CA 90064
   US

Name Servers:
   dns1.registrar-servers.com
   dns2.registrar-servers.com
   dns3.registrar-servers.com
   dns4.registrar-servers.com
   dns5.registrar-servers.com

Creation date: 22 Jul 2011 04:33:00
Expiration date: 22 Jul 2013 03:33:38

Screenshot History
»www.domaintools.com/research/scr···ied.com/

Current Capture:

tenantverified.com screen capture 2013

--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

rzaruba

join:2000-08-04
reply to leiolanisad

This sounds awfully like a variant of the credit report for a job scam....

Sherlock

join:2013-02-01
USA West Coa

1 recommendation

reply to leiolanisad

I've been looking at Craigslist for a rental and this subject has become a project. I got exactly the response you all quoted today. If you click on the Positive SSL logo at the bottom of Tenant Verified, it will take you a website that sells SSL (secure socket layer) certificates. Yeah, I never heard of it either but the first one for sale is for $49.00 a year and it is the one on the Tenant Verified web site. Did they actually buy it or do a cut and paste when the site was created?

Then I found this great site! I got the number of the FTC from Craigslist and have been calling them often. I actually get a real person. Today all the Craigslist ID numbers I have given them were removed. I've been sending forms to Craigslist too except the two from today. So it appears the FTC is doing their job, NOT so sure about Craigslist.

This started when I checked Craigslist photos on "Image.Google.Com." (I'm an MTV "Catfish" fan). The photos came up at real estate web sites all over the country for houses they have for sale/rent. This is one quick way to find a rental scam. It's how I've found all of mine.

Whatever you do, don't lose your temper and respond or the real estate sites may suddenly change to things you don't want to see. But the question is WHERE is Craigslist in all this!! I found 5 scams in two days!

leiolanisad

@comcast.net

Due to me being naive and not knowing this is a scam I paid the $39.95 and registered. This morning logged in and sent a message wanting a contact number to speak to someone. They ACTUALLY responded:

Hi xxxxx,

If there is an issue it is quicker resolved via this helpdesk. TenantVerified's toll free number will show up on your credit card statement as 1.888.373.2455

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Jason
-Customer Support

I called and someone answered. I told them they charged $3,995 to my credit card. He said "really? did the charge go through." I was so angry I hung up!!!! Didn't want to say too much because I wanted to give the number to police. These people stole money and act like they didn't know. Actually have a 888# which makes me wonder. They are just scamming a bogus service and making $39.95 off each person, and time to time steeling thousands. How in the world do people sleep at night?! Thankful for internet and how fast things getting around.......quicker to stop these individuals but seriously why don't these people get real jobs make money correct way. Start a business FINE but make the service real not half #$%.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

said by leiolanisad :

Due to me being naive and not knowing this is a scam I paid the $39.95 and registered. This morning logged in and sent a message wanting a contact number to speak to someone. They ACTUALLY responded:

said by scammer :
Hi xxxxx,

If there is an issue it is quicker resolved via this helpdesk. TenantVerified's toll free number will show up on your credit card statement as 1.888.373.2455
[snip]

I called and someone answered. I told them they charged $3,995 to my credit card. He said "really? did the charge go through." I was so angry I hung up!!!! Didn't want to say too much because I wanted to give the number to police. These people stole money and act like they didn't know.

Call your Credit Card company and report it as a fraudulent charge as they are scammers. Do not file the report you make as a disputed billing as it is pure fraud instead. Reporting it as a fraud charge is how you get the money charged back to your account. Don't contact the scammers further, just tell the Credit Card company that when you called they laughed at you about their charging right at 4 thousand dollars.

Also request at the same time a new Credit Card to replace your current card now that scammers have your Credit Card account info.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Sherlock

USA West Coa

Don't forget calling FTC, Federal Trade Commission! These people are stealing, at the very least, lease information from a rental application (as was one of the scams I found) and at the most, a good amount of money from Tenant Verified. That is clearly consumer fraud and that is one of the reasons we have the FTC. They helped me and the worst the scammer did was link me to a bunch of creepy photos of knives, guns and exposed body parts.

The fact that they could pull that off technically at a Google web site, chose those subjects and did it so quickly, tells me dealing directly with these people and being confrontational, like I was in my email, may not be the thing to do. But the last posting was full of great suggestions!

Sherlock

USA West Coa
reply to confused

Hi Confused

My posts may help If you haven't read them. In a nutshell, go to Image.Google.Com and click on the little camera on the search line. Shrink down both Craigslist and Google windows so they fit side by side. Then just click and drag the photo from the rental to the box that will open on Google. It will search for the pictures. They are usually from Real Estate web sites. They even use the same descriptions.

Also, if there is a map in the right hand corner of the Craigslist posting, magnify it till you can see the roads. One rental was listed in one town and the map was in another town in a place where there are no roads or homes, one was in the middle of a shopping center and one in an industrial section of town. I know my towns well but you can enter the roads in map search and look at close up aerial view of the section they posted. My best wishes in your search. Oh yeah and the first tip it's a scam is that the rent is really low and you know what they say about "if it's to good to be true..."

Expand your moderator at work

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

1 edit
reply to Sherlock

Re: [Scam] Tenant Verified Scam

said by Sherlock:

Don't forget calling FTC, Federal Trade Commission! These people are stealing, at the very least, lease information from a rental application (as was one of the scams I found) and at the most, a good amount of money from Tenant Verified. That is clearly consumer fraud and that is one of the reasons we have the FTC.

Yes good info, they should also fill out a report at IC3 (Internet Crime Complaint Center) here.

»www.ic3.gov/default.aspx
quote:
Filing a Complaint with the IC3

The IC3 accepts online Internet crime complaints from either the actual victim or from a third party to the complainant. We can best process your complaint if we receive accurate and complete information from you. Therefore, we request that you provide the following information when filing a complaint:

Your name
Your mailing address
Your telephone number
The name, address, telephone number, and Web address, if available, of the individual or organization you believe defrauded you.
Specific details on how, why, and when you believe you were defrauded.
Any other relevant information you believe is necessary to support your complaint.

--

DaveDad

@verizon.net
reply to leiolanisad

My Daughter just realized she is the victim of the same scam, on her way to the bank right now, they will not even accept her infor over the phone. There are some rotten people outthere.
Dave

ChrisB

@rogers.com

So I just read all the postings and am afraid to say this is still going on. I got the same email response yesterday with the mentioned link. I didn't click on the link , instead googled it and was surprised to see the findings.

I responded to the email after a little research and told this Celina Condon that I must first look at the property before spending the money for a background check. I haven't heard anything from her since then.

Why aren't these people in jail???? They are doing this every where. I am in Alaska !!!!!

Chris

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

1 edit
reply to leiolanisad

said by leiolanisad :

Someone is placing apartment/condo add on Craigslist EVERYWHERE in the US. The wording they are using is as followed:

The property is a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath with garage and washer and dryer. Dogs and cats are allowed with a $100 cleaning charge.

2. 1st months rent and optional fee for pets

The service we use is Tenant Verified, here is a link.

This is an easy way for me to screen applicants based on previous addresses and employment information. If you have a criminal record or poor rental history, I am flexible and I'll work with you.

Contact me when you have your background check. It is in a .pdf, you can print it and bring to the showing or email it to me. I am looking for real tenants not window shoppers or tire kickers, right now I have 3 rental properties and a full-time job.

Enjoy your Tuesday!

Leida Gruesbeck

Once you click on link it tells you to use for tenant background it places you on their fraud website. When you charge your card they don't take $39.95 they take $3,995! How can I shut their website down? After seeing google looks to me they are truly traveling with this. How is it possible after having so many reports, complaints? Why are they NOT in jail?? Using a merchant machine it take 3 working days for money to get in their account which is direct deposit. Once it is wired it should be known who and where to catch them? Please help me shut this website down.

ok........seems to me...nobody has actually answered the question here........letz see if i can be of some help.............

»www.fbi.gov/scams-safety

How to Report Crime & Fraud
line
- Submit an Anonymous Tip Online
- Report Cyber Scams & Incidents
- Contact Your Local Field Office
- Contact the Nearest Overseas Office
- More FBI Contact Information

or

»www.ic3.gov/default.aspx
The IC3 accepts online Internet crime complaints from either the actual victim or from a third party to the complainant. We can best process your complaint if we receive accurate and complete information from you. Therefore, we request that you provide the following information when filing a complaint:

The Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) is a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C).

»www.fbi.gov/cyberinvest/cyberhome.htm
»www.fbi.gov/contactus.htm

»tips.fbi.gov/
»www.fbi.gov/sitemap.htm

»www.complaintsboard.com/bycatego···ams.html
--
101ST ABN Div. (AirAssault) "Rendezvous With Destiny!" "Night Stalkers/Phoenix Flight" For Buddy...who lived it! Whiskey for my men and beer for my horses! H.A.L.O!, 5th Grp., MACV SOG, 160TH AVN SOG, Death From Above, VFW, AmLegion

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24

Lots of good info there, Mr. Phoenix!

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

1 recommendation

reply to Phoenix22

said by Phoenix22:

ok........seems to me...nobody has actually answered the question here........letz see if i can be of some help.............

You must have missed »Re: [Scam] Tenant Verified Scam
--

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
SOG C&C Nrth

1 edit

1 recommendation

yup......was readin' w/ 70-442 w31.....i meant cutlass w31........sorry

FinFin86

@sbcglobal.net
reply to leiolanisad

Wow! I'm glad I came on here. The above ad is the exact one (with minor changes) to the one that was sent to me. I wasn't going to pay for this, so I kept asking the "renter" to show it to me without and we will go from there. Haven't heard from them since.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
reply to leiolanisad

said by leiolanisad :

If you have a criminal record or poor rental history, I am flexible and I'll work with you.

There are so many obvious red or yellow flags that it's rediculous. They have been eloquently covered in the OP and other posts.

However, for anyone understanding renting and dealing with an experienced reputable landord knows that the above is in its own way the biggest give away to the fraud of this ad.

There is NO WAY a mainstream reputable landlord will do what I've quote above. They wouldn't even consider you for a single second.
--
The signal is usually drowned out by the noise.

jtjunkie

@verizon.net
reply to leiolanisad

Wow, I just got the same exact e-mail from a rental posting I was looking at in my area. Thankfully before doing the background check I found this site first.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
reply to Phoenix22

said by Phoenix22:

yup......was readin' w/ 70-442 w31.....i meant cutlass w31........sorry

Cute, but W30 is what it clearly shows.... If it was that distracting to you, one would think you'd get something somewhat close to accurate.
--

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
SOG C&C Nrth

hey.....it was joke relax;=))

JVC516

join:2013-04-25
Trumbull, CT
reply to leiolanisad

I keep finding the same scams all over Craigslist. It's frustrating because one can't even search for an apartment these days without seeing 5 scams for every legitimate apartment being offered. I constantly FLAG them on Craigslist but they seem to remain day after day. Occasionally I'll find one a week later that says it's been flagged for removal. Craigslist should require a means of identification (such as a non pre-paid credit card on file) to verify an advertiser in the case of fraud.

A couple of ways to recognize these idiotic scams is when you find a 4 bedroom colonial with marble flooring, a chefs kitchen, a jaccuzzi, 3 bedrooms and a fireplace for $700 a month in an area you can barely afford to drive through. It's obviously a scam.

Frequently there is just some jibberish written in the lower details of the ad. Nonsensical words that have no bearing on real estate or to the ad itself. Also, the poster will use a name followed by some digits such as ChrystalWilson.45633@yahoo.com. You'll see the same type of e-mail address, just different names and digits for most of these scams.

Also, when viewing the listing of apartments (before opening an individual ad) you'll see the description followed by something like *fwiuf. When you open it, it's a scam. The best thing to help us all out is to open them and FLAG them. I wish Craigslist would simply give an option for FAKE, but it doesn't. Here's an example:

Apr 24 rent to own or rent*fwiuf $265 / 3br - 2165ft�‚² - (new haven) img

Craigslist should have their own moderators scanning their pages and blocking IP address from repeat fraudulent posters if necessary. Well, I could go on and on about what Craigslist SHOULD do. But since they don't, we have to use a bit of our own caution. It's just such a time waster (and an insult to ones intelligence) to have to be slowed down by the endless fake listings.

Most legitimate landlords will use Craigslist's repond option or provide a phone number to call. Also, most of us renters should know better than to submit to a background check (for which we have to pay) before even seeing the apartment. It's just ridiculous that a prospective landlord would even expect you to do that before having met with you and deciding if there exists a possible tenancy between the two of you.

I'm glad I found this page. I received the exact same e-mail today from a name different than the name on the advertising e-mail. I (like all of us here) just have the foresight to run names and search for matches via the internet. Another quick caution, sometimes when you run a name from an ad, you will find it is the name of a legitimate real estate agent. Don't suddenly put your caution at ease. Use any contact options found on-line through the agent's agency or any direct phone numbers. Most of the time they will tell you that the ad is a scam and that they have he house on the market for sale. Also be cautious when the pictures have the small MLS logo in the bottom corner. It means the house is listed for sale through the real estate Multiple Listings Service.

I hope everybody finds the rental they are looking for. I am searching myself, but with every possible caution. I'll keep checking this board to see whatever great updates and pointers are provided from these great posters and readers.

Thanks everybody.

John

Mllakajdhdb

@comcast.net
reply to leiolanisad

I have just recieved the same

The property is a 2 bedroom 2.5 bath with garage and washer / dryer. Cats and dogs are accepted with a $100 additional deposit.
The requirements to lease our property are as follows:
1. PhotoID
3. Rental Agreement, I'll bring this to the showing
(It is month to month, 6 month or one year)
The provider we use is Tenant Verified: link.
This is an easy way for me to screen applicants based on prior rental history and job history. If you have a criminal record or bad tenant history, I am flexible and I'll work with you.
Let me know once you've completed your background check. It is in a .pdf, you can print it and bring to the showing or email it to me. I am looking for serious tenants not window shoppers or tire kickers, right now I have 3 rentals and a full-time job.
Enjoy your Thursday!
Yesenia Clayton

zzzaaa

@thewalkercenter.org
reply to leiolanisad

It just happened to me too. I've been trying to get the "leasor" to give me the address of the "house for rent" for 2 days. The ad was on craigslist and had the exact wording as the ones posted here. No tire kickers... Dogs and cats allowed with $100.00 fee...a copy of your drivers license. The email was sent 2 times from 2 different people. Same wording though. I've encountered 3 other scams from ads I have posted on craigslist in the last 3 months. One scamer wanted to buy my bird and ship her to another state because he really, really needed a bird!

mkest275

@ptd.net
reply to leiolanisad

Omg i literally just recieved this! So happy i read this now!

tired of it

@comcast.net

LMAO! a bird?? too funny

received the same message a few times smh