signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to chgo_man99

Re: [Rant] Do not go for vacation to Hong Kong

I haven't been to China, but I've been to The Philippines, and yes, it is VERY dirty. And VERY poor. VERY few Americans know real poverty, but in the Phils they do. Hideous squalor, but huge dignity.

You shouldn't ever go to ANY other country and expect them to speak YOUR language, or use YOUR customs, or do business YOUR way, or even THINK as YOU do. These are THEIR HOMES and THEIR customs and ways. You CAN LEARN from those things.

My time in the Phils has had a profound affect on me. Fortunately, almost everyone speaks at least some English, though they mix in words, and almost everyone speaks both the national language, which is a form of Tagalog, and their own island's parlance. Most Pinoys are tri lingual. Just imagine if American school children had to tackle such a challenge, all while suffering a grumbling stomach due to no food for days?

Personally, I LOVE the customes in Cebu, my wife's home. I love their ways and how things work. Sure, some things aren't as good IN MY MIND as here in the USA, but there are many other things better there. You have to take each place on its own merit.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do: Roam. Reach out and be humble. But also, don't be a sucker. I got ripped by a taxi driver in Manila, but seeing as the guy wasn't too well fed, I was happy paying him a little extra. They see us fat Americans and they see money, they associate Americans with money being the solution to everything. It isn't too far from the truth, admit it.

My wife and I have agreed that we will go to Hong Kong and Tokyo when I finally come back to Cebu in a couple years. Having an Asian for a wife means a more open mind than the OP has and willing to live under other customs. I love my girl's customs, not everything, but they are very charming, sweet people. Cebu is kinda like the Texas of The Philippines. Cebuanos will explain to you that they love their country, but they are also their own people.

Cities are dirty. I live near a city center that is one of the most filthy in the country. In downtown chewing gum blotches cover almost every square inch of cobblestone. People are such pigs. I see people litter and I yell at them (very risky). Culturally, for some races and some cultures, public space isn't sacred like personal space, and hence, they litter.

You probably should have gone to Shanghai, that city would have been better suited to you (the OP). From what I gather, it is a little cleaner and more fully modern and more welcoming.

You have to remember, poverty in these countries, combined with American's reputation for being big spenders and being loud, fat people, and you are going to need to be accompanied by a native when negotiating.

What if you were Chinese and didn't speak English? Can you imagine the horror stories they go home after being in America? With some many racists here? It works both ways.

I think you should return to Hong Kong one day when you are older and with a fresh attitude, maybe you might learn something.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4

said by signmeuptoo:

My time in the Phils has had a profound affect on me. Fortunately, almost everyone speaks at least some English, though they mix in words, and almost everyone speaks both the national language, which is a form of Tagalog, and their own island's parlance. Most Pinoys are tri lingual. Just imagine if American school children had to tackle such a challenge, all while suffering a grumbling stomach due to no food for days?

Personally, I LOVE the customes in Cebu, my wife's home. I love their ways and how things work. Sure, some things aren't as good IN MY MIND as here in the USA, but there are many other things better there. You have to take each place on its own merit.

asa ka sa Cebu ning puyo sir?

[read: where in Cebu did you live?]

you were spot on with your description with how Cebu is...I lived there for 6 years after graduating from College in Manila.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Cebu is the second city as they say. A few million people in the greater Cebu area.

Toadman
Hypnotoad

join:2001-11-28
Ex Ohioan
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest

I have been to HK a good 10 times if I count once for the past 10 years. It is a great place to visit, a lot to see, and has some of the best drinking areas off of Lockhart and Hennesy road and parts of Jordan.

Nobody goes to Asia anymore to buy electronics - stay in the USA for that and order on line. The only thinks that I have found that are decent is clothing, and HK isn't the destination for that either (Try Thailand).

Next time if you want clean asia vacation that knows english, stick to Singapore, but don't come back and complain that it is expensive as all get out.

Also Macao and HK are SAR's and not part of China. HK is also one of the best destinations (beyond Spore) that know english as a second language. If you can't make it there, don't try anywhere else...
--
This post is made with meat biproducts.

Toadman
Hypnotoad

join:2001-11-28
Ex Ohioan
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to signmeuptoo

signmeuptoo,

I would skip Tokyo and just go to HK for vacation, then hop down to Saigon or BKK for your vacation. It will be much more enjoyable and much less than Tokyo. I find Tokyo to be this big gray monolith that is too expensive, and too stuck to themselves (it is harder for outsiders to get along there).

also speaking of experience (and being in Shanhai last week), Shanghai is definitely dirtier than HK. I also find it to be a little bit more difficult than HK for someone who doesn't know Mandarin / Cantonese.

Also, as you know, Having a Phillipina wife/GF is definitely different than having a Thai, Chinese, Taiwan, Korean or heaven for bid Indonesian wife / gf. To lump them all in "asian" category is a bit of a hazard (IMHO).
--
This post is made with meat biproducts.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Indeed, like lumping all women from south of the border as the same.

Filipinas are very often very devout Catholics, are very very superstitious (it is amazing some the cute things my Alain thinks and says), many idolize American men simply because we have a reputation of being more evolved and less likely to cheat on them.

I am not expert on people of the world. If I ever won the lottery I'd travel a lot to learn from others.

I wasn't intentionally lumping Asian women in any way, women are women, however, people are people; each person is special and have their own quirks.

There is hardly anything that one could generalize about Easter cultures. I have, however, always found that Vietnamese women are sometimes the most attractive.

But one thing is food. I don't like some Filipino foods, but I do love some Viet and Thai foods. My Alain knows that I love ethnic foods but that, even though I've eaten many pinoy dishes, much of it (the organ meats for instance) I don't like.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.