spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

alan47

join:2009-10-07

Cablecard Query

I'm ignorant vis-a-vis a CableCard and I can't seem to get a straight answer on this: if I get a CableCard does it need a coaxial cable connection to it or does it work off of the router's wireless network or does it need an ethernet cable?

I have two STBs with two coax cables. If the CableCard needs a separate coax, do I use a splitter on one of my two coax cables or does Verizon need to come in and install a third coax?

Thanks for furthering my understanding.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
said by alan47:

does it need a coaxial cable connection to it or does it work off of the router's wireless network or does it need an ethernet cable?

None of these. A cable card plugs into a special slot in a device such as a Tivo. It is the device it plugs into that requires the coax connection.

You don't specify what kind of device you're considering, but you will need a coax drop for that device. It can be split off an existing drop, or you can have another drop run.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

dmine45

join:2002-11-03
Fredericksburg, VA
reply to alan47
CableCards can be used for any number of devices. One of the most popular ones are Tivo, but other devices such as the Ceton InfiniTV tuner card for a PC computer and a SiliconDust HDHomeRun are also other options.

All of these need coax for the video input. They do not use Internet for video, but they do need Internet for the channel guides.

Yes, you can use a splitter for the coax and feed the coax to other devices. I have a splitter that feeds my TV (direct Clear QAM), Verizon's cable box, an Actiontec router, and the Ceton InfiniTV tuner card. All work fine.