spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

Backup Exec alternative?

After spec'ing out a new single-physical server system for a branch office, I noticed that Dell no longer sells Backup Exec. The only option to accompany a tape drive purchase is Comm Vault, which is far beyond my needs for this job. I'm not heartbroken or anything because BE 2012 is just awful, but now I'm being forced to come up with an alternative for single-drive LTO backups. To complicate matters further, I'm shooting for this server to run Windows Server 2012, and BE doesn't support that out of beta anyway.

So, this system will be pretty simple, 2012 or 2008 R2 running hyper-v for a few VMs including at least one running SQL. What are some options for tape-backup software for this type of deployment? This site doesn't have any SCCM infrastructure in place, so SCDPM is not an option. Acronis has a similar product to BE that also does not support Server 2012. I've been looking at Unitrends Enterprise Backup, but I just discovered that one today so I'm not sure how well that would fit into my situation.
lorennerol
Premium Member
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA

lorennerol

Premium Member

I threw in the towel on BackupExec as well. It's become just another formerly great piece of software that Symantec bought and shit-coded into the ground.

I took another look at Windows Server Backup and found that, for the price (free), reliability, and ease of use, it does pretty much everything I need. Clients rotate a 2-4 external drives and it (like BackupExec used to) looks at what's attached and backs up accordingly. Between this and Shadow Copies/Previous versions, the bases are pretty well covered.

angussf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-11
Tucson, AZ

angussf to Moffetts

Premium Member

to Moffetts
I'm using BackupAssist to back up a client's network and it's doing fine.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to Moffetts

Premium Member

to Moffetts
Ultrabac. It's all they've done for 25+ years.

boognish
Premium Member
join:2001-09-26
Baton Rouge, LA

boognish

Premium Member

What is licensing like compared to back up exec ? I have been having some problems with back up exec and have been meaning to reevaluate options before the maintenance needs to be renewed.

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC

Jahntassa

Premium Member

Yosemite backup by Barracuda. »www.barracudaware.com/pr ··· r-backup

They have an upgrade offer where you can send them your BackupExec key and they'll give you a discount. Their licensing is a lot easier to handle, depending on what you're going for. Especially since their Unlimited license is $1500 pre-discount. I have it working with SQL, Exchange, and different flavors of Dell LTO-2 drives.

Modus
I hate smartassery on forums
Premium Member
join:2005-05-02
us

Modus to Moffetts

Premium Member

to Moffetts
I got rid of Backup Exec and tapes last year and i have 2 Unitrends Enterprise Backup appliances. They work great and i would recommend it....if you have any question feel free to ask

imanon
@comcast.net

imanon to Moffetts

Anon

to Moffetts
I prefer SyncBackSE »www.2brightsparks.com/sy ··· res.html

...simple, and works!
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

Thanks for the leads, guys. Most of these I have never heard of, and that's good. Are any of you running Windows Server 2012?