spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

waters

join:2013-01-30

1 recommendation

[TWC] Time Warner non-promotional prices unavailable?

I was trying to switch my mother from her current DSL provider to a Time Warner cable modem. To my astonishment, the online sales representative from Time Warner was unable to say what the current rates are for customers who are past the 12 month promotional period. How do they expect to acquire customers if they won't quote prices? Life is too short to waste more time on this, so I guess she'll remain a DSL customer.

Yordan]]>Thank you for contacting Ecommerce Time Warner Cable Online Ordering Service, this is Yordan what services can I help you set up today?
J]]>I'm trying to look up internet & cable prices on the Time Warner website. I see only promotional 12 month prices. Where are the recurring prices after the introductory 12 months?
Yordan]]>I will be more than happy to assist you with that.
Yordan]]>I would like to inform you that after the promotional period ends, you will be charged the standard rate that is in effect at that time. We suggest that you contact our local office at the end of your promotional period to determine what other offers are available at that time.
J]]>Where are the standard rates listed?
Yordan]]>we do not have them listed on the website since the prices there are non contract promotions for 12 months
J]]>How do I get a list of the standard rates?
Yordan]]>normally a good estimate it would be around 10 to 15 $ extra of the promotional rates
J]]>How do I get an accurate list of the standard rates rather than a "good estimate"?
Yordan]]>if you want those exact rates you need to talk to customer service
J]]>Who are you if not customer service?
Yordan]]>we are the online sales department
J]]>And the sales department does not have access to pricing information?
Yordan]]>yes but not the ones for the regular rates after the 12 months

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

That's interesting considering there are no current promotional prices here ....just standard rates. I'd call the local division and ask as you will get customer service and much nicer to hear a voice than cold type.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Fleeced

join:2012-10-06
kudos:2
reply to waters

Someone in your market might be able to help you, what area do you live in?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:9
reply to waters

Its very hard for anyone to tell you what the price will be in 12 months. In fact its impossible. Yordans answer was correct

"you will be charged the standard rate that is in effect at that time."

and calling customer support will probably yield the same answer.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to waters

The least the guy could do is tell you what the standard rates are now, with the caveat that they could be different in 12 month's time.

I had the same experience when I joined up after moving into a TWC area. Was astonished at how hard it was to get actual pricing out of them. One phone rep even told me that my $33/mo. promo rate for Turbo was the regular rate. Needless to say, that was false.
--
"The counsel of fools is all the more dangerous the more of them there are." -Ólafr Höskuldsson

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY

"The least the guy could do is tell you what the standard rates are now, with the caveat that they could be different in 12 month's time."

Experience tells me that people remember the actual figure and forget the caveat.
If the figure is too high after 12 months, then simply cancel.

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

waters

join:2013-01-30
reply to waters

Wow, so Time Warner refused to tell me what their standard rates are in order to protect me from my own stupidity? That's very thoughtful.

Must be nice to have a protected monopoly.

Racerbob
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
kudos:1
reply to waters

Time Warner should without hesitation provide current actual prices for their services. No reason not to.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to hobgoblin

said by hobgoblin:

Its very hard for anyone to tell you what the price will be in 12 months. In fact its impossible. Yordans answer was correct

Quite different from AT&T, DSL Extreme, Sonic.net, and some other DSL providers, who don't treat pricing as a state secret. Internet costs are not like TV costs; they don't rise drastically from year to year.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to waters

For L.A. area, there used to be PDF files showing prices of stuff in »www.timewarnerla.com/pricingguides/ but that is gone now. Does anyone know where that went? I assume the regular prices were based on those.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY

1 edit
reply to waters

said by waters:

Wow, so Time Warner refused to tell me what their standard rates are in order to protect me from my own stupidity? That's very thoughtful.

Must be nice to have a protected monopoly.

Feel free to call your local office, they will be happy to tell you current non promotional rates. Its actually not as easy as you think it is as there are many different packages, however it is not hard to find a figure for say a single play internet only customer.

Also to remove sticker shock there is a something called "stepstone" that increases the package by a smaller amount, in cases like this the standard prices do not apply.

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson