join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·AT&T Wireless Br..

2 edits

[Cooling] core I5 3570k safe temp

Click for full size
I have my i5 3570K running at 1.325 at a a 4.5 GHZ overclock. here are my temps. are they ok for every day usage. it idles at 45C.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Have you done any research on OCing and safe temps?

jchambers28

Alma, AR

been hearing mix results.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to jchambers28

Is that 24/7 overclock?

I'd adjust the Turbo Ratio settings, so your CPU only runs at 4.5ghz when under load, and then back to a nice cool stock when you're just idling doing nothing.

jchambers28

Alma, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·AT&T Wireless Br..

I have speed step enabled. I know nothing about the turbo settings on this board. Here is the board I have.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13130660

Chrno

join:2003-12-11
reply to Ghastlyone

Turbo is the only way you can overclock these processors. You can not sustain a constant 4.5GHz clock during idle. When you adjust the CPU multiplier in your BIOS settings, you are basically adjusting the maximum turbo multiplier.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by Chrno:

Turbo is the only way you can overclock these processors. You can not sustain a constant 4.5GHz clock during idle. When you adjust the CPU multiplier in your BIOS settings, you are basically adjusting the maximum turbo multiplier.

It might depend on what motherboard you're running. With the OP's MSI, I'm not sure. My Gigabyte board on the other hand, there's a few different ways you can overclock. I would think both boards are nearly the same though.

You can disable Turbo Boost completely and then adjust the clock ratios from there. Which in turn will give you a 24/7 overclock.

Or, you can simply adjust the Turbo Ratios settings for an overclock only when under load.

cmslick3

join:2004-05-24
Joliet, IL
reply to jchambers28

Prime Running

Idle after Prime

I'm no OC expert nor do I pretend to be on on TV. I would expect that unless you've somehow enabled a constant OC on that MB/CPU combo your idle temps should be a little lower than that. Mine idles around 35C. I do not have anything OC'd at this time.

I just ran this test with Prime95 and CoreTemp.

I am using the ASrock Z77 Extreme6 board, with the 3570K CPU.

jchambers28

Alma, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·AT&T Wireless Br..

Click for full size
Here are my idle temps I am using a Swiftech H220 cooler I will be adding a GPU water block to it later. Load temps comming up.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

What are load temps?

jchambers28

Alma, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·AT&T Wireless Br..

Click for full size
I drained and flush the pump and rad since the 1st screen shot was taken. Here are the load temps. core voltage is 1.3250

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

That's very nice.

jchambers28

Alma, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·AT&T Wireless Br..

If I add a GPU block to the mix will that cause problem's.

Here is the cooler I have »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···Parent=1

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to jchambers28

What GPU do you have?

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to jchambers28

said by jchambers28:

I drained and flush the pump and rad since the 1st screen shot was taken. Here are the load temps. core voltage is 1.3250

85 celsius on a water block seems ridiculously high. Are you absolutely sure you locked all voltages? It seems more like 1.325 is your baseline and auto-voltage is still spiking you higher during turbo frequency use. OCN has a wonderful guide on overclocking, if you don't set your voltages correctly, it could go straight to max vcore and the CPU will throttle regardless of hitting Tmax. On water, anything outside of the 70's shouldn't be acceptable, IMO. I can air cool better than 80's in a room at 96 degrees Fahrenheit at a higher voltage than that on a 3570 with a $30 Hyper 212+ Evo and two fans.

Also, 4.5ghz is usually achieved with a lower voltage, but that doesn't mean much as each CPU has its tolerances. Have you tried to lower it until stability is lost? If you really want to have an every-day overclock, you will need the lowest vcore you can get. Temperatures don't fry CPU's over time, volts do. The longer you are overvolting, the less total years you get out of a CPU. The problem with that statement is the unknown: if you have a 15 year CPU that you are "killing" in 12 years.... does it really matter?

-check your vcore and other volts: are you overvolting the integrated GPU for example
-check your heatsink seat, is their a bubble in the paste? is there paste leaking out? is the paste dried up? those max temps are not pretty
-go for the lowest overvolt possible on a stable system for a daily overclocker.
-USE OFFSET if you want to have the best of all worlds, there is a simple way to determine its value AFTER you find the best manual set vcore for your overclock+chip+stability combination.
--
Show off that hardware: join Team Discovery and Team Helix

jchambers28

Alma, AR

I have not touched the IGPU voltage at all. anything lower than 1.3250 BSOD. it will run 4.3 on 1.32 vcore though anything past 4.3 need a vcore of 1.3250. Asus LLC set to ultra high.

jchambers28

Alma, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·AT&T Wireless Br..

1 edit
reply to markofmayhem

Click for full size
Click for full size
here are the settings i have. 45 multy takes a ton of voltage on this chip 1.3250 I can hit upto 44 on 1.270.